Bratt vs. Batherson

Better player?

• Bratt

• Batherson

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I saw Bratt play enough (obviously I don't watch him as much as Brown/Batherson). I thought of him as a "waterbug" playmaker good for 60 pts a season (that's borderline 1st line production), but like I admitted twice in this thread already, didn't expect that kind of jump offensively. He's Swedish so you never know with them (if you know me for a long time, you know my Swedish bias lol)

Devils fans would be more able to tell us what made the big difference for Bratt this season but I don't know, he looks like a bigger scoring threat. I didn't think of him as much of a scoring threat before, but he doubled his S% this season.
Consistency really, that's the main thing. His underlying numbers have always been fairly strong, and were exceptional last season even, but his ability to turn possession into chances was streaky. This season he's been consistently a threat while on the ice and teams have had a very difficult time dealing with him. It helps that he has gotten a bit stronger and he's not getting knocked off the puck much.

Reactions: Xspyrit

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
yeah, not sure why this thread was made now as Batherson's season got destroyed by a bad injury. Automatic win for Bratt.

Thought Bratt was more like a 60 pts player (which is already pretty damn good) but looks like he can be more so it's super close no matter what

I would vote "too close to tell" if the option was available

It will be interesting to look at this comparison every season.
It'll be a good poll to bump.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

BavelPure

Aug 24, 2005
Bratt reminds me of Hughes in some ways because his skill, speed and creativity always jumps out at you, but the results weren't there. It seems like both of them have reached a critical mass and still have some runway in front of them before totally taking off.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Bratt is awesome. So impressed every time I watch him.

Besides the fact he always scores against the Rangers, lol

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Batherson is very very good, but Bratt is a special.

I'd say the other way around. Batherson has game breaking ability that can match those very few at the top of the league.

Batherson was carrying the forward group early on in the same, was around 5th in points by right wingers(still 9th in PPG) without Tkachuk having taken off yet and Norris still trying to round out his game offensively.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'd say the other way around. Batherson has game breaking ability that can match those very few at the top of the league.

Batherson was carrying the forward group early on in the same, was around 5th in points by right wingers(still 9th in PPG) without Tkachuk having taken off yet and Norris still trying to round out his game offensively.
Bratt is waaay more of a game breaking talent, he's just much more dynamic.

Batherson is the more dangerous PP player though.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Are we really making this comparison when Drake has been out all season? He had 34 in 31 (which is exactly what Bratt had at one point, if I recall correctly). This is nothing but a convenient bump from a Devils fan.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Also, let me be clear that Bratt is an absolute gambreaking talent. Batherson is that, too.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Are we really making this comparison when Drake has been out all season? He had 34 in 31 (which is exactly what Bratt had at one point, if I recall correctly). This is nothing but a convenient bump from a Devils fan.
Sens fan bumped the thread.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Batherson.

Can produce similarly and has the size advantage.

Has times where he can use his 6'3 frame to crush the opponents. Remember that game against the leafs where he had like 8 big hits on the forecheck.

Batherson simply has more elements to his game while having similar offense.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
10 months ago that was accurate. Now it is not. What changed? Bratt exploded and is now as good as Batherson :)
It was never accurate, that's the point. Some Sens fans seemed to get near offended that their golden boy was being compared to Bratt and made some silly statements/comparisons that were challenged by Devils fans. They were always wrong, it seems many of you just had zero insight into the player at all.

Bratt's "explosion" in production has been less drastic (0.65 PPG to 1.07 PPG) than Batherson's (0.61 PPG to 1.1 PPG) and over a much bigger sample size (59 games vs 31 games), so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Batherson.

Can produce similarly and has the size advantage.

Has times where he can use his 6'3 frame to crush the opponents. Remember that game against the leafs where he had like 8 big hits on the forecheck.

Batherson simply has more elements to his game while having similar offense.
Batherson is bigger, but Bratt is far more dynamic, which is an element Batherson really doesn't have.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Batherson is bigger, but Bratt is far more dynamic, which is an element Batherson really doesn't have.

Bratt being dynamic is already included in their similar offense.

I was already taking that into account when saying they had similar offensive contributions. Bratt is more dynamic but batherson uses smarts more...but they produce similar offense.

But then on top of that, batherson has the size and physicality that Bratt doesn't. Edge batherson.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Bratt being dynamic is already included in their similar offense.

I was already taking that into account when saying they had similar offensive contributions. Bratt is more dynamic but batherson uses smarts more...but they produce similar offense.

But then on top of that, batherson has the size and physicality that Bratt doesn't. Edge batherson.
So you've just never watched Bratt play, huh?

He's pretty clearly the better 5v5 player. His offensive contributions have always been better than Batherson's:

Bratt
This year
3.17 p/60 with 9.5 % oish%
Last 3 years
2.48 p/60 with 9.3 % oish%

Batherson
This year
2.90 p/60 with 11.0% oish%
Last 3 years
1.77 p/60 with 7.7% oish%

Even with an unsustainably on ice high shooting percentage, Bratt is out-producing Batherson by a significant margin over a larger sample size this season. Expand that sample and it's even more lopsided.

Reactions: Devils Army

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
So you've just never watched Bratt play, huh?

He's pretty clearly the better 5v5 player. His offensive contributions have always been better than Batherson's:

Bratt
This year
3.17 p/60 with 9.5 % oish%
Last 3 years
2.48 p/60 with 9.3 % oish%

Batherson
This year
2.90 p/60 with 11.0% oish%
Last 3 years
1.77 p/60 with 7.7% oish%

Even with an unsustainably on ice high shooting percentage, Bratt is out-producing Batherson by a significant margin over a larger sample size this season. Expand that sample and it's even more lopsided.

I never argued who gets more offense under which circumstances...only that their total offense is very similar.

Sure, Bratts dynamic ability might lead to more points at even strength by finding holes...and bathersons smarts might allow him to strategize how to put up more points with the man advantage.

Point is their total offensive output is very similar, but batherson has the size and physicality edge when the game becomes more physical. So my point stands.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I never argued who gets more offense under which circumstances...only that their total offense is very similar.

Sure, Bratts dynamic ability might lead to more points at even strength by finding holes...and bathersons smarts might allow him to strategize how to put up more points with the man advantage.

Point is their total offensive output is very similar, but batherson has the size and physicality edge when the game becomes more physical. So my point stands.
Bratt has 93 points in 105 games in the last 2 years = 0.89 ppg

Batherson has 68 points in 87 games in the last 2 years = 0.78 ppg

Your point does not stand. Bratt > Batherson.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Bratt has 93 points in 105 games in the last 2 years = 0.89 ppg

Batherson has 68 points in 87 games in the last 2 years = 0.78 ppg

Your point does not stand. Bratt > Batherson.

I think his point was that the slight offensive gap in production is outweighed by Batherson’s physical play and the edge that he plays with.

Not saying I agree, but I don’t think @jbeck5 ever claimed that Batherson is more dynamic or produced at a more rapid pace than Bratt.

Do you have any fancy stats to show who the better defensive player in the last two years is? Or any insight on how Bratt is defensively? Don’t catch many Devils games so not going to toss my hat or opinion into the ring. Bratt’s production is impressive and that’s all I can say about the player.

Reactions: jbeck5

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think his point was that the slight offensive gap in production is outweighed by Batherson’s physical play and the edge that he plays with.

Not saying I agree, but I don’t think @jbeck5 ever claimed that Batherson is more dynamic or produced at a more rapid pace than Bratt.

Do you have any fancy stats to show who the better defensive player in the last two years is? Or any insight on how Bratt is defensively? Don’t catch many Devils games so not going to toss my hat or opinion into the ring. Bratt’s production is impressive and that’s all I can say about the player.
He said their total offense is similar, but it's not the case. And he's very solid defensively.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
It was never accurate, that's the point. Some Sens fans seemed to get near offended that their golden boy was being compared to Bratt and made some silly statements/comparisons that were challenged by Devils fans. They were always wrong, it seems many of you just had zero insight into the player at all.

Bratt's "explosion" in production has been less drastic (0.65 PPG to 1.07 PPG) than Batherson's (0.61 PPG to 1.1 PPG) and over a much bigger sample size (59 games vs 31 games), so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Really? So Bratt was a PPG player in the previous 4 years? Nope, he was a consistent scorer ~ 0.5 ppg in his first 3 then a step up last year. Now he is over 1.0ppg

Batherson as I have stated in the past was on a steep climb due his unusual path to the NHL. He was too small, great a crap ton and got drafted in the 4th round his 2nd go around. His trajectory was predicted by many people. Bratt on the other hand made it to the NHL very early then adapted. It was a different path, with the same end result. PPG players.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Bratt is waaay more of a game breaking talent, he's just much more dynamic.

Batherson is the more dangerous PP player though.

With respect, you have no idea what you're talking about. Like none. I can understand where you think Bratt is better, probably cause you watched Batherson minimally because Bratt is real good at making stuff happen. However, Batherson has disgustingly creative ability and has some of the best hands in the league. He can also look a goalie one on one from distance and just rip it by him.

Bratt plays much more fundamentally beautiful and smooth. Using his great skating to his advantage in combination with his hands.

Batherson's impact comes from his greater gamebreaking sudden/standstill ability/creativity. He is not the best of skaters. This guy said PP lmao.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad