Injury Report: Brassard with Mumps - (MOD #77)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The problems with mumps is that they are 1) highly contagious 2) have a long incubation period before symptoms are visible (giving it more chances to spread) and 3) the vaccination is far from 100% effective. Diseases like mumps and measles are really kept in check by what is known as herd immunity. If enough of the population is immune to the disease, there is no real way for it to spread to infect the non-immune population. However, the US is losing its herd immunity as the percentages of unvaccinated children gets higher and higher, which is why we are seeing mumps, measles, and whooping cough make a comeback.

yep, you can thank Jenny McCarthy for this crap.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Even if vaccinated the chances of being protected are not 100%, especially what 10-20 years after many NHL players were vaccinated as children, and the virus may have mutated. The booster offered to NHL players was 88% effective, If there's roughly 700 players in the league that's about 84 players that could possibly get it. With such a long incubation period before a player shows signs this is something that's going to run it course in the NHL, let's just hope we only have 2 players effected.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
these players are too old to be part of the hippie generation that believes jenny mccarthy over real doctors and scientist

Perhaps--but, when less people are vaccinated, it's easier for a disease to spread once it gets started. And don't kid yourself--objections to the mmr vaccination pre-date whomever Jenny McCarthy is, unless she's been around since the late 1960s (and your reference is to the original "hippie generation").

Jan 8, 2012
NY
these players are too old to be part of the hippie generation that believes jenny mccarthy over real doctors and scientist

These players have their vaccinations and likely their booster shots. But the problem is that the MMR vaccine is not 100% effective. In fact, it's effectiveness is in the 60-80% range. It is a vaccine that depends on "herd immunity." But a 70% chance of NOT getting infected is a hell of a lot better than 0. When people are unvaccinated, there's a much higher chance of the disease spreading. So while I'm sure that all these players are vaccinated, when there's kids running around unvaccinated, there's a larger chance that the vaccinated population will get infected as well.

TL;DR: Vaccines are not 100% effective and unvaccinated people put the entire population in danger with their stupidity.

member 116805

I had never even heard of a sickness called the mumps before these breakouts, is it a common winter sickness? according to wiki its a very rare condition here in Denmark cause we get vaccinated against it early in our lifes

It is called Kusma in Norway, perhaps the same or similar in Denmark?. Never heard of anyone that has got it after the age of 10-12.
You get vaccinated here in elementary school. If I remember correctly it can be pretty horrible for a mature man to get it. Believe it can leave you with swollen testicles and worst case it can make you sterile

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
These players have their vaccinations and likely their booster shots. But the problem is that the MMR vaccine is not 100% effective. In fact, it's effectiveness is in the 60-80% range. It is a vaccine that depends on "herd immunity." But a 70% chance of NOT getting infected is a hell of a lot better than 0. When people are unvaccinated, there's a much higher chance of the disease spreading. So while I'm sure that all these players are vaccinated, when there's kids running around unvaccinated, there's a larger chance that the vaccinated population will get infected as well.

TL;DR: Vaccines are not 100% effective and unvaccinated people put the entire population in danger with their stupidity.

honestly i didn't even know mumps was still a real thing until everyone in the nhl started getting it. i thought it was like polio and something people got before they had medicine lol. seriously wtf gets the mumps lol

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Found this link through Puck Daddy (the article is written by an associate professor of medicine):

Mumps outbreaks are rare, so updating the vaccination schedule hasn't really been on our radar. But it may soon be. Throwing a wrench into all of this is that some players with the disease recently did receive a booster. The Penguins claim Crosby was vaccinated against mumps in February; he had antibodies in his system, just not enough. And that's what makes this so challenging for the NHL (or any concentrated workplace). There isn't a simple blood test to confirm with 100 percent certainty that a hockey player (or any person) is truly immune to mumps. That's because the optimal level of antibody to protect from the virus is unknown. NHL teams assumed players were immune when, in fact, they were not.
(emphasis added).

And the possible solution?

So what do we do about the situation in the NHL? Many teams have offered a mumps booster to its players. (The Islanders and a few other clubs also offered it to staff.) But not everyone affiliated with the NHL has received the shot, and that is what's keeping this thing going. To contain this outbreak, every player and team staff member—even the guy on the Zamboni—should be offered the mumps booster vaccine in conjunction with a consultation by a physician. It should've happened weeks ago.

By the way--the league has only "recommended" booster shots for all players. It's up to the players to decide whether to have one or not.

http://regressing.deadspin.com/why-the-nhl-lost-control-of-its-mumps-outbreak-1670727885

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
ReallY? I suggested that it seemed to be a geographical pattern to the players infected and that I found this interesting in the GDT yesterday.

Do you know the old saying, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink?"

Also, the United States is much more diverse and much more mobile than most countries, so it's very hard to draw conclusions or patterns. I have friends who are demographers and after years of discussions with them, realize there are so many factors involved in the spread of diseases. This may also be a failing of the medical profession. Unlike some diseases, they don't know what an effective level of antibodies should be, so when they test, all they can tell is if there are antibodies in your system....

If you're interested, read the article I posted above....

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 8, 2012
NY

nyhockeyfan

Apr 9, 2014
It is called Kusma in Norway, perhaps the same or similar in Denmark?. Never heard of anyone that has got it after the age of 10-12.
You get vaccinated here in elementary school. If I remember correctly it can be pretty horrible for a mature man to get it. Believe it can leave you with swollen testicles and worst case it can make you sterile

This is actually pretty horrific. Mumps can cause severe birth defects if a pregnant woman catches it. Many women get a booster before they start to have kids.

I know this is impacting the lineup and everything, but I hope there is no lasting damage to anyone's life because of this.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Perhaps--but, when less people are vaccinated, it's easier for a disease to spread once it gets started. And don't kid yourself--objections to the mmr vaccination pre-date whomever Jenny McCarthy is, unless she's been around since the late 1960s (and your reference is to the original "hippie generation").

She used to be an MTV personality, she wrote a book like 15 years ago I believe about how vaccines give children autism, backed up with numerous debunked studies.

AHB*

She used to be an MTV personality, she wrote a book like 15 years ago I believe about how vaccines give children autism, backed up with numerous debunked studies.

She's a softcore P star. And an environmental moronic nut. Don't take anything she says seriously until you research it on your own from reliable sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad