Injury Report: Brassard with Mumps - (MOD #77)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
What makes this worse is that brassard was exposed to everyone yesterday. Let's hope no one else on our team gets it. Also I thought the Rangers were getting vaccinations like a week or two ago?

I read earlier that Crosby was vaccinated and he still caught it, so who knows how this mess works. Definitely a bizarre thing that this is going through the league

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
What makes this worse is that brassard was exposed to everyone yesterday. Let's hope no one else on our team gets it. Also I thought the Rangers were getting vaccinations like a week or two ago?

Apparently the incubation time is about two weeks so with that the whole team will probably be back in NY before this roadtrip is over.

Whiskers*

Silver, Stepan will play with Nash and Zucc Hayes with miller and MSL

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
One vaccination is not always enough. Apparently, some adults do not get the second one and mistakenly think they are immune. Just speaking about this in general, surely team doctors aren't letting anything be missed.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This sucks.

Seriously doubt he got the mumps from Tanner Glass though. Glass has been over it for more than a week now--and this is pretty sudden.

That being said I really liked the forward lineup we had last night against Vancouver.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
**** you, Sid. **** you, Glass. **** everything.
AV also thinks that it might be from Sid. Well, Brassard went H2H against him on Monday, but the incubation period is at least 2 weeks.. So, it´s probably not from Sid. Tanner Glass would be a much safer bet. The real concern is what happens later with the other players, we actually feel the same in PIT. Good luck and sorry for that (just IF). Our doctors just suck.

This sucks.

Seriously doubt he got the mumps from Tanner Glass though. Glass has been over it for more than a week now--and this is pretty sudden.

That being said I really liked the forward lineup we had last night against Vancouver.
Again, incubation period is from 13 days to possibly as many as 25 days.

EDIT: Actually Crosby might be the victim of Tanner Glass as well. November 15th, it was a game. Glass is just a neverending problem for everyone.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
AV also thinks that it might be from Sid. Well, Brassard went H2H against him on Monday, but the incubation period is at least 2 weeks.. So, it´s probably not from Sid. Tanner Glass would be a much safer bet. The real concern is what happens later with the other players, we actually feel the same in PIT. Good luck and sorry for that (just IF). Our doctors just suck.

Again, incubation period is from 13 days to possibly as many as 25 days.

EDIT: Actually Crosby might be the victim of Tanner Glass as well. November 15th, it was a game. Glass is just a neverending problem for everyone.

So Derick Brassard might be a victim of Sidney Crosby. It's a whatever. Glass wasn't the first player to come down with it. There's no point blaming someone for getting sick.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
MMR is two shots...

1 shot gives you about a 75% chance of being immune.

2 shots gives you about an 87% chance.

No such thing as a 100% immunity to mumps (unless you actually have contracted it in the past).

Morten

May 24, 2014
I had never even heard of a sickness called the mumps before these breakouts, is it a common winter sickness? according to wiki its a very rare condition here in Denmark cause we get vaccinated against it early in our lifes

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I had never even heard of a sickness called the mumps before these breakouts, is it a common winter sickness? according to wiki its a very rare condition here in Denmark cause we get vaccinated against it early in our lifes

I heard of the mumps, but I never heard of anyone actually getting it because we get vaccinated for it as well.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
My understanding of mumps (and measles and rubella) is that even with a booster shot, a healthy adult still has a very realistic chance of catching the disease if they come into direct contact with it. Crosby, for example, was vaccinated as a kid and had a booster earlier this year. Didn't make him completely immune.

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
The problems with mumps is that they are 1) highly contagious 2) have a long incubation period before symptoms are visible (giving it more chances to spread) and 3) the vaccination is far from 100% effective. Diseases like mumps and measles are really kept in check by what is known as herd immunity. If enough of the population is immune to the disease, there is no real way for it to spread to infect the non-immune population. However, the US is losing its herd immunity as the percentages of unvaccinated children gets higher and higher, which is why we are seeing mumps, measles, and whooping cough make a comeback.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Zuke's stepdad confirms to norwegian media that zuke has never had the mumps, considering how close he is to Brass both on the ice and off I wouldn't be surpriced if zuke is hit with the mumps soon...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Zuke's stepdad confirms to norwegian media that zuke has never had the mumps, considering how close he is to Brass both on the ice and off I wouldn't be surpriced if zuke is hit with the mumps soon...

Brassard was just hanging out with Zucc and Hags at the Bronx zoo.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course

Chances are though, Zucc had the full series of vaccinations as a child. Unfortunately, here in the United States, it doesn't get done for everyone. Some people don't have the money, they immigrated as children from countries that don't routinely vaccinate, they have religious objections and there are rumors/myths that certain childhood vaccinations can cause autism (not proven).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad