News Article: Brassard on the block

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think we get asking for Brass. He's the type of forward contending GMs dream of landing for a playoff run.

Ott: Pitt 1st 2019, Pitt 4th 2018, Filip Gustafson (goalie drafted 2016, Swedens WJC goalie 2017 & 2018)
Pitt: Brassard

Can Pitt afford Brassard after this yr @ $5mil, he still has another yr on his contract, right? IMO Pitt could use Pageau more than Brassard although Brassard is better offensively & Pageau is better defensively. If you think Pitt has plenty of offence already than they could probably use a defensive centreman. Having said that though if they do trade for Brassard than I would like a 2018 1st rd pick back & probably one of their two young goalies (Jarry or Gustafsson & maybe Hornquist who is a UFA & on the IR & re-sign him for a yr & trade him at the deadline next yr if he doesn't work out.

Hoffman - Duchene - Hornquist
Ryan - Pageau - Stone
Dzingel - White - Gaborik
McCormick - Shore - Pyatt/Burrows

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I like Brass, but I'd rather deal him than Hoffman or Pageau at this point.

He still has value with a bit of term, and this team has some solid center prospects in the pipeline. Hopefully his higher cap hit isn't an issue.

Reactions: branch and Boud

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Won't trading Brassard and Phaneuf basically guarantee no playoffs next year unless Dorion finds some way to obtain a top 6 forward and a top 4 defenseman for free/very cheap?

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
is Pittsburgh still looking to move Letang?

I remember hearing that earlier this season, just curious

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
From a Penguins perspective we need cap room to make it work although we need another center to anchor the bottom lines. So it's Sheary, a 1st round pick, and maybe something else to close the deal. Under zero circumstance would / should we trade one of our young goalies. Vegas already took MAF, and Seattle is going to cherry pick one of the other ones most likes between Jarry / Desmith in another expansion draft. The Niemi experiment blew up in our face earlier in the season, dont see us trading any goalie away right now. We are also looking at Kane and a few others before deadline, but I think Brassard and a Pens trade could benefit both teams.

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
I know Zack Smith has been rumored, but Would Calgary have interest in Brassard?

2C Backlund a pending UFA
3C Jankowski recently a healthy scratch and still young/unproven

Might be tight against the cap but Brassard would seemingly strengthen them down the middle heading into a playoff run and is locked in for another year as their 2C if they can't re sign Backlund after the season.

I'm interested in Bennett and Gillies, and I don't think Zack Smith returns either.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
I think we get asking for Brass. He's the type of forward contending GMs dream of landing for a playoff run.

Ott: Pitt 1st 2019, Pitt 4th 2018, Filip Gustafson (goalie drafted 2016, Swedens WJC goalie 2017 & 2018)
Pitt: Brassard

Call me bitter but I hate the Penguins so much that I dont want to give them a better possibility of winning the cup again.. even if it improves our team

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Brassard is a great candidate to get Dorion his first steal in a trade.

He's not that good, but has a reputation of being good.

Hopefully Dorion does the reverse Burrows.

Also it's super unfortunate that dorion couldn't work him into the Duchene trade.

Turris
Duchene
Brown
Pageau

Down the middle is great depth. And I'm sure as hell going to hold it against Dorion. A good GM would have made it happen.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
From a Penguins perspective we need cap room to make it work although we need another center to anchor the bottom lines. So it's Sheary, a 1st round pick, and maybe something else to close the deal. Under zero circumstance would / should we trade one of our young goalies. Vegas already took MAF, and Seattle is going to cherry pick one of the other ones most likes between Jarry / Desmith in another expansion draft. The Niemi experiment blew up in our face earlier in the season, dont see us trading any goalie away right now. We are also looking at Kane and a few others before deadline, but I think Brassard and a Pens trade could benefit both teams.

zero chance its starts with Sheary

Sprong + 1st and add whatever else you need to make the cap work

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Brassard is a great candidate to get Dorion his first steal in a trade.

He's not that good, but has a reputation of being good.

Hopefully Dorion does the reverse Burrows.

Also it's super unfortunate that dorion couldn't work him into the Duchene trade.

Turris
Duchene
Brown
Pageau

Down the middle is great depth. And I'm sure as hell going to hold it against Dorion. A good GM would have made it happen.

Dorion didn't really have the option, because even if Turris would have signed that 6x6 (with zero trade protection) deal in OTT, it would have made it incredibly hard to balance the salary going forward if our budget is still 68M.

If I am NSH, I would have preferred Brassard, even if the cost was the same. His contract would have presented a better situation for NSH because they would not have had to commit 6 years to a center entering his 30s and instead could commit 2 to an arguably superior playoff performer.

If we do trade Brassard though, the result is probably the same for us anyways. We trade both Brassard+Turris, we end up with Duchene. The assets Brassard will bring will probably be similar to what Turris would have brought at the deadline. So it's a wash for us.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Sheary is a bum and a complete product of elite players around him.

We already made the Cory Conacher mistake . No need to make it again

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Dorion didn't really have the option, because even if Turris would have signed that 6x6 (with zero trade protection) deal in OTT, it would have made it incredibly hard to balance the salary going forward if our budget is still 68M.

If I am NSH, I would have preferred Brassard, even if the cost was the same. His contract would have presented a better situation for NSH because they would not have had to commit 6 years to a center entering his 30s and instead could commit 2 to an arguably superior playoff performer.

If we do trade Brassard though, the result is probably the same for us anyways. We trade both Brassard+Turris, we end up with Duchene. The assets Brassard will bring will probably be similar to what Turris would have brought at the deadline. So it's a wash for us.

Bleh you, you find a way by moving lesser pieces like Smith, Thompson, Burrows , Phaneuf, Ryan, even pageau and Ceci if it has to come to that.

Turris and Duchene would cost a combined 14 mill at most? That's a reasonable price for having your center positions a strength.

Plus having those two probably guarentees we retain Karlsson.

As of now retaining Karlsson seems dubious.( Thanks Dorion/Melnyk)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Report: Senators talking to teams about Brassard
Report: Senators talking to teams about Brassard

What do you guys realistically think we can get for him? Signed through next year at 5 million. I think a 2nd and a good prospect? Dorion is asking for a first round pick, a prospect and a third piece, ask high sell in the middle?
If they don't get a first and a prospect for him I'll be rattled. Doesn't make alot of real money on his contract has been a playoff superstar and is a two way centrman signed for 2 years.

Reactions: StoneHoffs129

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Bleh you, you find a way by moving lesser pieces like Smith, Thompson, Burrows , Phaneuf, Ryan, even pageau and Ceci if it has to come to that.

Turris and Duchene would cost a combined 14 mill at most? That's a reasonable price for having your center positions a strength.

Easier said than done. After last night's trade, we'd be at about 64.5M next season with an 20 skater roster if we had Turris instead of Brassard. That roster doesn't include Stone, Ceci, and Claesson. On the lowest end, those three probably cost 10M, and I'm lazy, so we'll round everything up to 75M. We'd have to clear 8M in salary, along with adding replacement players for whoever we trade. That's assuming we get the Stone at a sweetheart enough price that those three can combine to 10M on the first year of backloaded deals.

Unless you wanna trade Hoffman and keep Turris in his place, it'd be very hard to make work. Especially since Brassard's contract will be off the books when Karlsson's raise hits (if he re-signs). I just don't think keeping both Turris and Duchene without losing Stone or Hoffman would have been plausible money wise.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't think there's any need to retain on Brassard, since he's only making 3.5 million in real dollars next season.

I'd take one of Pittsburgh's "bad" contracts in return though. Sheary + Sprong/Jarry + 2nd and I'd do it.
You just negotiated against yourself... He was offering a first you downgraded it to a 2nd and offered to take a contract.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'll be quite happy if we could get 1st+Sprong for Brassard.

Thats pretty much a guarantee compared to what players of his ilk went for last year that were UFA's, time to maximize the asset management the extra year on his deal should help. Dorion should get a great return for him if he plans on trading him.

Id personally trade Brassard and Smith in the next two weeks when teams massively overpay at this time of year. There are hardly any sellers with good proven playoff assets the sens should be able to set the market. Also the sens need to finish bottom 3 this year, if they dont land Dahlin, Zadina or Svechnikov after this pathetic season its going to be extra depressing.

From Pittsburgh if they want Brassard id be asking for Sprong, 1st, Jarry then negotiate from that point.

Smith id be asking for a first and work from there.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
There is no need to let him go. To this end the return should reflect that he is the best centre available and a playoff player. You want him, you have to beat out all other offers, AND our desire to keep him.

If he's traded the return should be 1st + top prospect from a contender. That's what I'd be happy with anyways. I like Brass and would be happy for him to stay and be the 2nd line centre here until Brown is ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad