Confirmed with Link: Brassard for 2018 1st + Gustavsson + Cole...or not...maybe, some time. Eventually. Probably?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean, it sucks to lose a physical d-man, but Cole was a #6 and was sat for long stretches this year for both bad play and seemingly bad blood. It was either use him here or have him walk after the playoffs, IMO.

I'd do this trade 10 times out of 10.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if Ottawa plans on re-signing Cole or if they want to flip him to someone else. He fits whats-his-face's MO as being a LD that's defensive-minded and can step up in the neutral zone, which they lost in Methot.

Reactions: Giskard

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
And JR dangled that right in front of Dorion's face all along. Sprong. Sprong. Sprong. Wouldn't give up a goalie. And then he 'caved'.

It wasn't 1st, Sprong, Gust, but Ottawa will flip Cole for AT LEAST a good 2nd, so I nailed the value.

BTW, JR isn't done . . . a defenseman was mentioned to me this morning.
Lovejoy?

Reactions: farscape1

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
18%, *****es.

Then JR isn't done. I know this because everyone is saying JR isn't done. That 18% was to make the trade work without having to move anyone.

I'm going to wait, but @ColePens can attest that I mentioned a defenseman to him this AM and for the life of me couldn't figure out why it was floated to me.

Now, I know . . . because a hole was being opened up.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I wonder if Ottawa plans on re-signing Cole or if they want to flip him to someone else. He fits whats-his-face's MO as being a LD that's defensive-minded and can step up in the neutral zone, which they lost in Methot.

Reactions: Jacob

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Less than most feared.

I was shocked at how many people thought Brassard was going to bring back some of the prices people were legitimately ok with on this board. :laugh:

I'm PUMPED at this price. Although, I will miss Ian Cole. I liked him.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I think he will be better than jarry as well. However, we need jarry right now more than we need Gus. Obviously had to give up one of Gus/Sprong. Glad its not both.

That's how I see it. You've got Murray for 10 years and shame on them if they can't find another starter during that time.

I'm not as high on Sprong as most here are, but I can see why Ottawa would demand a goalie and not a winger considering Anderson's age and injury history.

It just bothers me that Cole was traded not so much because Ottawa wanted him, but because they needed the cap space, which would have been unnecessary had they not signed Hunwick.

kbuck8851

Apr 25, 2012
Then JR isn't done. I know this because everyone is saying JR isn't done. That 18% was to make the trade work without having to move anyone.

I'm going to wait, but @ColePens can attest that I mentioned a defenseman to him this AM and for the life of me couldn't figure out why it was floated to me.

Would it happen to be someone that inspires Love and brings others Joy?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
So call it a day and declare victory. The best part is that we have that center depth next year as well. And gave up almost nothing of consequence.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Lbr, JR is never done. I can fully believe he’s always got some idea going on.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Likely good deal for both teams. I know the org was high on Gus, but we have two good goalies who can spend the next 5-10 years here, so I'm ok with trading from depth to fill that need.

How the d shakes out will be interesting. I really want to see O-Ruh. And leave Hunwick on the bench.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Keep and call up Sprong. Minor trade for a defenseman.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad