Brandon Sutter

Fire Shero*

Can't we all just get along?

Sutter has been average at best. But I do agree that if he's more time to develop chemistry he might be okay.

SaturdayNightSlegr

Jan 2, 2009
Pittsburgh suburbs
Brandon Sutter is a completely average 3rd line center. Solid defensively, solid at face-offs, not that good offensively. To be better at his role, he needs to be a bit more physical and faster...

The question we all are really asking is: Can he be the third-line center of a cup champion? I think he can. But he'd need to play with some better wingers on a consistent basis, a non-revolving-door set of wingers. Luckily, the Pens already have the perfect 3rd line winger, who is rated as the best defensive winger in hockey (most selke votes for a winger last year), his name is Pascal Dupuis....

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Brandon Sutter is a completely average 3rd line center. Solid defensively, solid at face-offs, not that good offensively. To be better at his role, he needs to be a bit more physical and faster...

The question we all are really asking is: Can he be the third-line center of a cup champion? I think he can. But he'd need to play with some better wingers on a consistent basis, a non-revolving-door set of wingers. Luckily, the Pens already have the perfect 3rd line winger, who is rated as the best defensive winger in hockey (most selke votes for a winger last year), his name is Pascal Dupuis....

Sutter and Dupuis could be an absolutely amazing shutdown line if they got the chance.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
now throw in Steve Ott...:nod:

oh god...

I was thinking we may have to give up Sutter to get Ott, but if you could roll:

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett
Juice - Malkin - Neal
Ott - Sutter - Dupuis

jkfgkdfjgkfdjgkjdfg

I wouldn't care if the 4th line was

Adams - Engelland - Glass

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
oh god...

I was thinking we may have to give up Sutter to get Ott, but if you could roll:

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett
Juice - Malkin - Neal
Ott - Sutter - Dupuis

jkfgkdfjgkfdjgkjdfg

I wouldn't care if the 4th line was

Adams - Engelland - Glass

But really, the 4th line COULD be Adams/Glass/D'Agostini/Jeffrey - Vitale - Kobasew

Koby looks bad on the 2nd. I bet our opinion of him would change pretty quickly if he was on the 4th line.

I've said it before, we are one good 3rd liner away from a VERY good line-up.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You talking about Sutter or Jokinen?

Sutter is Joel Otto next to Jokinen in the size and grit department.

The only way I'd be dealing Sutter is if we somehow got a better 3C in the same mold. Which almost certainly isn't happening.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
I don't see what the issue is. Sutter plays really solid D and has been winning faceoffs at a high clip this season.

His wing situation is a mess right now and he likely won't ever be an offensive catalyst, but that's what is going to make him affordable going forward.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I've said it before, we are one good 3rd liner away from a VERY good line-up.

I agree. I also think we're a good 3rd liner and a coach with balls away from a dominant 3-line team.

Acquiring that 3rd liner, moving Dupuis to the 3rd line, and spreading out the talent would go a long way in the post season.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
If we take hits as a measure of Sutter's physical involvement and intensity, I will point out that his previous career high was 69 hits in 82 games back in 10/11. Last season for us, he had 30 in 48 games. If the eye test does not show positive change as clearly for you as for me, consider that so far this season, he has 17 hits in 8 games.

Sutter is a very good third line C. Few teams have substantially better ones, and if they do they cost a lot more. Sutter is not a problem.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't see what the issue is. Sutter plays really solid D and has been winning faceoffs at a high clip this season.

His wing situation is a mess right now and he likely won't ever be an offensive catalyst, but that's what is going to make him affordable going forward.

If we take hits as a measure of Sutter's physical involvement and intensity, I will point out that his previous career high was 69 hits in 82 games back in 10/11. Last season for us, he had 30 in 48 games. If the eye test does not show positive change as clearly for you as for me, consider that so far this season, he has 17 hits in 8 games.

Sutter is a very good third line C. Few teams have substantially better ones, and if they do they cost a lot more. Sutter is not a problem.

Yes. I can't for the life of me figure out why this thread is happening now, when Sutter has been more physical and better in the faceoff circle than ever.

Oh wait, of course I do. We have multiple injured wingers, so now we have to sell the farm to fill a void we don't really have. Because we're in a 7-1 tailspin.

Last edited:

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
Yes. I can't for the life of me figure out why this thread is happening now, when Sutter has been more physical and better in the faceoff circle than ever.

Oh wait, of course I do. We have multiple injured wingers, so now we have to sell the farm to fill a void we don't really have. Because we're in a 7-1 tailspin.

Always need a scapegoat, even in a strong start. But Fleury has been solid, Niskanen is collecting points and is playing pretty good defense, Glass and Adams have had an inspired start to the season, Jokinen hasn't hit a cold spell, and Crosby is putting up huge numbers even with Kunitz and Dupuis getting off to slow starts. So Sutter it is because he doesn't play with "intensity".

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sutter is what we need at 3rd line center. A 3rd line center who isn't going to command 2nd line center money. Staal really screwed with our expectations of a 3rd line center. Add in that the trade off was supposed to be room for a big money wing in the top 6 and that never happened. But the cap dropped. If we kept Staal we'd have lost either Neal or Letang.

Sutter is a 3rd line center. He does what he's supposed to do.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yes, but isn't everyone always clamoring for a guy that can help create for themselves? That's what I was getting at, but I get laughed at for wanting someone better.

Jokinen can make plays with the other wing as well or better than any top 6 wing we've had since Hossa aside from maybe Bennett or Sully. His scoring last year came mostly playing with Dupuis, Kunitz and Morrow.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
So other than Bolland, who are the better-than-Sutter-for-the-Pens 3C's in the league at under $4million per guys?

And isn't Steve Ott a center by trade?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sutter doesn't deserve to be in the dog house yet. He's playing okay. But his intensity level going into corners is laughable. He backs in cautiously and doesn't compete. I want to see him compete.

He's effort makes him beyond expendable. I never heard anyone talk about his effort level being crappy in Carolina. I don't get why he's so garbage right now.

BUT... remember. He's not terrible. He's just not the player I expected to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad