Brandon Sutter

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
He's fine.

Good defensively, a passenger offensively. A good 3rd-line center on a top-heavy team.

Note: I do not consider the Pens top-heavy. I mean, they are, but not In a good way.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sutter will look much better once Neal and BB come back, i think Kobasew-Sutter-BB could be a really good 3rd line.

BTW i would take Sutter at 2 million over Staal at 6 million all day everyday, and we also got Pouliout and Dumoulin, such an awesome trade.

Just think how great that trade would've been if the Pens had taken Trouba with that pick. ;)

/canofworms

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'm not disappointed to have him on the 3rd line. He's a good defensive option to have there but he seems to be making more mistakes lately. If he didn't improve by season's end then I wouldn't be disappointed to see him go or stay but we'd need someone to replace him.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
I do agree with the latter. And, I'm not in full ZOMG we must trade him mode. I look at him like I do Nisky: Is something gained (player, prospect, cap space) from moving him that justifies whatever potential falloff their might be to using his replacement?

I won't comment any further on the former. ;)

I would package Jokinen into a trade for a top 6 winger before I'd throw Sutter in.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
He's fine.

Good defensively, a passenger offensively. A good 3rd-line center on a top-heavy team.

Nite: I do not consider the Pens top-heavy. I mean, they are, but not In a good way.

Pretty good assessment, IMO. At his pay on this team at the salary cap, he's serviceable. Interesting how players move into whipping boy status here.

Did anyone really expect him to score on the penalty shot?

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Just think how great that trade would've been if the Pens had taken Trouba with that pick. ;)

/canofworms

I know this is tongue-in-cheek but there is a lot of truth in it IMO.

Had Shero taken Truba or FF or even Olli, Sutter wouldn't get as much hate because the Pens would have gotten another NHL asset out of the deal. As of right now, is too easy to think of the deal as Sutter v Staal because they're the only ones in the NHL and DP looks so far away.

As for Sutter, I've been very underwhelmed. He gets a bunch of chances but can't score and is invisible for long, long stretched every game. I'm fine with him at ~2.5M but if he gets 3M+ I won't be very happy.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I know this is tongue-in-cheek but there is a lot of truth in it IMO.

Had Shero taken Truba or FF or even Olli, Sutter wouldn't get as much hate because the Pens would have gotten another NHL asset out of the deal. As of right now, is too easy to think of the deal as Sutter v Staal because they're the only ones in the NHL and DP looks so far away.

As for Sutter, I've been very underwhelmed. He gets a bunch of chances but can't score and is invisible for long, long stretched every game. I'm fine with him at ~2.5M but if he gets 3M+ I won't be very happy.

his next contract will be interesting. I'm pretty much with you on what he's been worth so far.

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
Sutter really is invisible a lot of the times, but i think at least this season you gotta factor in who he's playing with. has yet to have one consistent linemate, and the ones he's had outside of Bennett aren't that great. Last year he had Cooke and TK most of the time. i'd bet if he got Bennett/Jokinen/D'Ags for a decent stretch he'd be able to find some chemistry and do a little bit of something.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
He's been as good as you could hope for this year considering his line mates. Most centers would be sunk in goals against in the same situation.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I am really at odds with Sutter at the moment. To me, his play has steadily gone downhill (at a slow rate mind you) ever since he got here. At $2mil, I can deal with it. But at the end of this year he is a RFA and to be quite honest he has done NOTHING to earn a dime over that.

I would be all over packing him together for an upgrade at wing.

Here are my scenarios:

Trade Despres for Palmieri
Trade Sutter or let him get offer sheeted
Resign Jokinen for 3-3.5x3

Kunitz-Crosby-Palmieri
Bennet-Malkin-Neal
Kobsew/Wing-Jokinen-Dupuis
Sill-Vitale-Adams

Package Orpik+Sutter for a Top 6 wing.
Keep Maatta or call up Despres
Resign Jokinen

Kunitz-Crosby-Wing
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Wing-Jokinen-Dupuis
Sill-Vitale-Adams

In any case, we can slide Bennett into the Top 6 and slot Jokinen into 3C. Not only does this increase offense for the third line but it allows you to keep a very capable 2C fill in in case Crosby or Malkin go down. Sutter is not a fill in 2C...he's a "wince, this is gonna be bad".

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I am really at odds with Sutter at the moment. To me, his play has steadily gone downhill (at a slow rate mind you) ever since he got here. At $2mil, I can deal with it. But at the end of this year he is a RFA and to be quite honest he has done NOTHING to earn a dime over that.

I would be all over packing him together for an upgrade at wing.

Here are my scenarios:

Trade Despres for Palmieri
Trade Sutter or let him get offer sheeted
Resign Jokinen for 3-3.5x3

Kunitz-Crosby-Palmieri
Bennet-Malkin-Neal
Kobsew/Wing-Jokinen-Dupuis
Sill-Vitale-Adams

Package Orpik+Sutter for a Top 6 wing.
Keep Maatta or call up Despres
Resign Jokinen

Kunitz-Crosby-Wing
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Wing-Jokinen-Dupuis
Sill-Vitale-Adams

In any case, we can slide Bennett into the Top 6 and slot Jokinen into 3C. Not only does this increase offense for the third line but it allows you to keep a very capable 2C fill in in case Crosby or Malkin go down. Sutter is not a fill in 2C...he's a "wince, this is gonna be bad".

While there are a number of guys one hopes Shero would be willing to move Sutter or Orpik in good hockey trades, I am pretty confident guessing that Despres, Engo, and maybe Niskanen are the only names he's discussing with other GM's.

So you trade a top 6 winger in JJ for a top 6 winger :shakehead BRILLIANT.

Oh, come on. :shakehead:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah he really looked like a top 6 today . . . I know everyone is jerking off to him right now, but I'm not convinced he's as good as everyone is making him out to be.

Jokinen has been our best top 6 wing this season bub...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah he really looked like a top 6 today . . . I know everyone is jerking off to him right now, but I'm not convinced he's as good as everyone is making him out to be.

The guy's hit 50 points 3 times in his career. He's a legitimate top 6 forward.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
He's fine.

Note: I do not consider the Pens top-heavy. I mean, they are, but not In a good way.
Pretty much my take on Sutter too. Plus he's still young so I think there's still some upside there and he'll likely stay affordable for the Pens for a good while.

Malkin112*

Dupuis has been by far best top-6 winger this season. This place is really overrating Jokinen for some reason just like they did with Sutter when he came here. He has been placed on waivers two different teams last four years. Do people really think that is coincidence? Jokinen is slow and weak skill player I really don't want to see him on Malkin's line when Neal is back.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Dupuis has been by far best top-6 winger this season. This place is really overrating Jokinen for some reason just like they did with Sutter when he came here. He has been placed on waivers two different teams last four years. Do people really think that is coincidence? Jokinen is slow and weak skill player I really don't want to see him on Malkin's line when Neal is back.

Wot?

ObsessedCreative*

Mother of God... :shakehead my block list is growing exponentially

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad