Brandon Sutter

Sh00terMcGavin

#Leadership
Jul 5, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm noticing more and more in the GDTs that Sutter is becoming a popular talking-point. He's been in a Pens uniform long enough to evaluate his play so far, so what do you guys think? I think he's...well...an average 3rd liner, nothing more, nothing less. It's slightly disappointing because the hype was pretty heavy when he first came over. He looks kind of weak along the boards and his offense isn't much to write home about. It'll be very interesting to see if we retain him after this season, as there's a good chance someone will try overpaying for him.

Oh and btw, please let this be a jinx thread that turns him into an animal :yo:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I wish he'd play with more grit/tenacity/snarl. Offensively, he is what he is. Defensively, he's usually very solid. But the guy just doesn't seem to play with enough bite to his game. Honestly, if he played with a bit of a mean/rough streak, I'd be perfectly fine (for the most part) with the rest of his game.

And someone needs to feed him a Big Mac. He's a stick figure out there.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He needs tenacity/aggression/meanness/etc. and/or muscle mass. One of those things increasing would significantly improve him. Right now he's not bad, but he's blah and weak. He's also playing for a contract and this is what he gives. Dupuis as a winger would probably really help him.

He's built like a goalie.

Sh00terMcGavin

#Leadership
Jul 5, 2011
Pittsburgh
He needs tenacity/aggression/meanness/etc. and/or muscle mass. One of those things increasing would significantly improve him. Right now he's not bad, but he's blah and weak. He's also playing for a contract and this is what he gives. Dupuis as a winger would probably really help him.

I would LOVE to see him play with Dupuis and Kobasew when healthy. That line could be damn tough to play against and they could chip in offensively as well.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He's a good defensive 3rd line center who's winning faceoffs and hitting more than ever, and he's playing without 3rd line calibre linemates. People talk about feeling sorry for Malkin because of his wingers, but don't seem to take that into consideration when it comes to Sutter.

For the record, he also currently has 3 points to Staal's 1, 58% in the dot to Staal's 50, and 17 hits to Staal's 12. And makes 4 mil per less this year. In case anyone was counting. ;)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Nondescript . . .

Just like his penalty shot per Ogrezilla. :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He's a good defensive 3rd line center who's winning faceoffs and hitting more than ever, and he's playing without 3rd line calibre linemates. People talk about feeling sorry for Malkin because of his wingers, but don't seem to take that into consideration when it comes to Sutter.

For the record, he also currently has 3 points to Staal's 1, 58% in the dot to Staal's 50, and 17 hits to Staal's 12. In case anyone was counting. ;)

1. You should set the bar higher than Staal, no? ;)

2. Respectfully, comparing Malkin's and Sutter's winger situation is a joke and indicative of fundamental failing of the coaching . . . putting equal if not greater priority on who plays on the third line than the second is not a manner of thinking limited to you.

3. If Brandon had a different last name and different circumstances according to which he'd been acquired, a lot of people here would see Jokinen as a viable and comparable 3C and Sutter as bait in a package for a top six winger.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I would LOVE to see him play with Dupuis and Kobasew when healthy. That line could be damn tough to play against and they could chip in offensively as well.

Me too.

Right now, fully healthy, it should be,

Kunitz/Jokinen - Crosby - Bennett
Kunitz/Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Kobasew - Sutter - Dupuis

With Kunitz and Dupuis being the third line wingers in the future with either 2 new top 6 wingers or 1 with Jokinen still there.

I should say that I think Sutter has been better in the last couple of games, not where I want him to be, but better. I'm just doubtful of him being able to maintain it.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
He's good with his defensive positioning and at faceoffs, but it pretty much ends there. He has the intensity of a wet napkin and the strength of a school girl. His line is always playing in their own end and he loses every physical battle he engages in. Color me unimpressed. I think the pens will need to upgrade before they win another cup.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
2. Respectfully, comparing Malkin's and Sutter's winger situation is a joke and indicative of fundamental failing of the coaching . . . putting equal if not greater priority on who plays on the third line than the second is not a manner of thinking limited to you.

I disagree. Malkin at least has Jokinen. Sutter is playing with Tanner Glass and Craig Adams. His winger situation is pretty damn ****** right now, too.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Brandon also hasn't had any sense of the word of stable linemates. Guy's he's in the lineup with game in and out. He constantly has to adjust.

He seems lost out there most times, and his line seems lost as a whole. With the above statement how can anyone get into a steady routine?

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
He came off his best game of the season last game, and had a marginal one today. He's still young, and has room to grow, both physically and experience wise. And yeah, his linemates suck. He needs a playmaker to be more of an offensive threat.

If he wins faceoffs and plays some responsible defense, I can't complain at 2 mil a year. If he was physical and scoring, he'd cost us 5 mil.

The upside to this kind of play is that he can't demand a big raise and is still an RFA after this year.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Stability is very important on a line. Especially for young players.

Sutter has none. He's had something like 9 different regular linemates in his brief Penguins career. His line situation is every bit as bad as Malkin's. Maybe worse.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He was decent in the regular season last year but terrible in the playoffs, however I think there were conditioning issues as I've explained before.

Last season to this season isn't night and day, but I've seen him be more physical and a little sturdier on the puck so far which is encouraging. It's probably important to keep in mind his age.. he's still young, in fact only Bort, Beau and Maatta are younger. He's not a finished product and he should get better still.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Hmm, not sure what you think I was saying there KIRK. I'm not saying anything about prioritization, only that Sutter's present wing situation is garbage, so if people are blaming the faults of the 2nd line on Malkin's winger situation, using that line of reasoning it would be exponentially tougher for Sutter.

3. If Brandon had a different last name and different circumstances according to which he'd been acquired, a lot of people here would see Jokinen as a viable and comparable 3C and Sutter as bait in a package for a top six winger.

He's a 24 year old 6'3" center who plays good defense, produces at a 30 point pace and leads the team in faceoff % with 58%.

I don't think the name argument applies to Sutter any more than it did to Staal. Size, youth, and all-around ability are always going to be coveted.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Stability is very important on a line. Especially for young players.

Sutter has none. He's had something like 9 different regular linemates in his brief Penguins career. His line situation is every bit as bad as Malkin's. Maybe worse.

The best (regular) season line in hockey come a tough playoff opponent and Chuck Kobasew taking games in the top six notwithstanding , I assume . . . ;)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hmm, not sure what you think I was saying there KIRK. I'm not saying anything about prioritization, only that Sutter's present wing situation is garbage, so if people are blaming the faults of the 2nd line on Malkin's winger situation, using that line of reasoning it would be exponentially tougher for Sutter.

He's a 24 year old 6'3" center who plays good defense, produces at a 30 point pace and leads the team in faceoff % with 58%.

I don't think the name argument applies to Sutter any more than it did to Staal. Size, youth, and all-around ability are always going to be coveted.

Staal wouldn't have been moved because there was NO viable alternative. Sutter won't be moved because of his last name and the circumstances under which he was acquired, not because Jokinen isn't a viable alternative.

You argue otherwise. Agree to disagree here. Was bound to happen after the little streak we were on. :laugh:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Staal wouldn't have been moved because there was NO viable alternative. Sutter won't be moved because of his last name and the circumstances under which he was acquired, not because Jokinen isn't a viable alternative.

You argue otherwise. Agree to disagree here. Was bound to happen after the little streak we were on. :laugh:

Given the make-up of our team, I don't like the prospect of giving the 3rd line over to a small, soft, skill player who tends to disappear when playing in the bottom 6 without other skill players.

Especially when he has shown to have considerable chemistry with one of our stars, and we already have a perfectly capable player for the 3C role.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Sutter will look much better once Neal and BB come back, i think Kobasew-Sutter-BB could be a really good 3rd line.

BTW i would take Sutter at 2 million over Staal at 6 million all day everyday, and we also got Pouliout and Dumoulin, such an awesome trade.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Nondescript . . .

Just like his penalty shot per Ogrezilla. :laugh:

skate at the goalie. shoot it in his glove. That's the best I can do to give a description of that attempt. That's basically the textbook definition of what a shootout save would be.

I don't have a problem with Sutter as our 3C though. I think he should be tried the way Carolina used him. That is, shadowing the other team's top player like he did to Geno.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Given the make-up of our team, I don't like the prospect of giving the 3rd line over to a small, soft, skill player who tends to disappear when playing in the bottom 6 without other skill players.

Especially when he has shown to have considerable chemistry with one of our stars, and we already have a perfectly capable player for the 3C role.

You talking about Sutter or Jokinen?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
skate at the goalie. shoot it in his glove. That's the best I can do to give a description of that attempt. That's basically the textbook definition of what a shootout save would be.

I don't have a problem with Sutter as our 3C though. I think he should be tried the way Carolina used him. That is, shadowing the other team's top player like he did to Geno.

I do agree with the latter. And, I'm not in full ZOMG we must trade him mode. I look at him like I do Nisky: Is something gained (player, prospect, cap space) from moving him that justifies whatever potential falloff their might be to using his replacement?

I won't comment any further on the former. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad