Brandon Sutter

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I'm alright with his offensive production as that is what will make him affordable moving forward but he really needs to better with the body.

Constantly beat in the corners & his hits are pathetic. He just kind of bumps into guys so he gets credit for a hit but they don't really do anything.

He has improved in the face off circle which is nice.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Would anyone say that he is expendable?

I mean, would Vitale be able to fill his spot? His offensive production is less but his defensive game is damn good. Or Jeffrey but he's average on the D end. I personally wouldn't do it but if we had to then I'd think about it strongly.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

I mean, would Vitale be able to fill his spot? His offensive production is less but his defensive game is damn good. Or Jeffrey but he's average on the D end. I personally wouldn't do it but if we had to then I'd think about it strongly.

I'm one of Vitale's biggest fans & I think DJ has been under used but that's a lot of unknown to put on a team that is trying compete for a Cup.

We would need to see both guys play that roll for an extended time before anything permanent can be done.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Neither.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
very underwhelmed with his play. Hes invisible out there. He hasnt been bad but just very very average.

Sutter IMO is not as advertised. thought we were getting someone else.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
The question is, what could we realistically get for him? Someone like Goc could certainly be had and easily replace what Sutter brings to this team (minus the almighty potential that is valued like nothing else around here, of course) at 1 million less but the question is whether we get something of value along with him or if we could really put these 1 million to good use.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
You just cannot rely on Sutter to be down low all the time winning board battles. He needs wingers who are strong on the puck to handle that. He's most effective in the O zone floating and looking for shots from the slot while wingers dig it out. That's where the first Kobesew goal came from, Sutter slapper almost from the blue line.

He just doesn't have the ideal 3c goal line to goal line game just yet. But I'm happy with his improvements over last year so far, and if he ever gets Kobesew and BB back, he'll start producing offensively again.

He's not near the top of our worries right now, and if he is ever the biggest concern we've got, then the team overall is in a pretty good state.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I can't remember the last Penguin who left me more indifferent with his play than Sutter.

He's just a body out there. I don't think we'd notice for weeks if suddenly he disappeared.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And Jokinen, if moving Sutter meant a proper winger for Sid and sliding Dupuis to L3? Would L3 even be worse in that scenario?

Editor's Note: These questions presuppose that the Pens coach has a clue. :p:

Spoiler Alert: He doesn't.

Seriously, unless someone overpays for Sutter there is no reason to trade him. He's a 3rd line center. He's affordable and he plays as well as we are going to get. And with the wingers we have, he's a better 3rd line center than Jussi would be. I can't even imagine how awful Jussi would look with Sutter's current wings. But I am positive it would be considerably worse than Sutter looks with them.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Spoiler Alert: He doesn't.

Seriously, unless someone overpays for Sutter there is no reason to trade him. He's a 3rd line center. He's affordable and he plays as well as we are going to get. And with the wingers we have, he's a better 3rd line center than Jussi would be. I can't even imagine how awful Jussi would look with Sutter's current wings. But I am positive it would be considerably worse than Sutter looks with them.

Spoiler Alert One: I'm only considering moving Sutter if it's part of a package for a winger for Sid to play with Sid and Bennett, thus reuniting KMN.

Spoiler Alert Two: Jokinen and Dupuis looked awfully good together last year before Sid returned and would make 2/3 of a nice third line with a guy with some sandpaper to his game on the other wing (if memory serves, Morrow was their LW and never looked better as a Penguin).

Spoiler Alert Three: Your SPOILER ALERT renders all of this idle conjecture and nothing more.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Spoiler Alert One: I'm only considering moving Sutter if it's part of a package for a winger for Sid to play with Sid and Bennett, thus reuniting KMN.

Spoiler Alert Two: Jokinen and Dupuis looked awfully good together last year before Sid returned and would make 2/3 of a nice third line with a guy with some sandpaper to his game on the other wing (if memory serves, Morrow was their LW and never looked better as a Penguin).

Spoiler Alert Three: Your SPOILER ALERT renders all of this idle conjecture and nothing more.

Indeed.

I don't disagree with your premise. I disagree with the likelihood of it being a real possibility. Even if everyone within our organization was on board, I think the trade is going to be damn near impossible to find.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I actually think he had more upside once upon a time, but Brandon Sutter hasn't really looked the same since Doug Weight obliterated him in open ice many moons ago.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I actually think he had more upside once upon a time, but Brandon Sutter hasn't really looked the same since Doug Weight obliterated him in open ice many moons ago.

That happened in only his 7th NHL game. We still really had no idea what his game would look like on a regular basis at the NHL level when that happened or how it differs from what he is now.

The year after that he had a 21 goal season in 2009-10. I'm not sure he ever had any more potential than that. He was only a 20 something goal guy in junior.

Carolina fans also raved about the guy's play there long after the injury. I'm not sure if Sutter just isn't playing as good here or we just have totally different standards and expectations for our centers based on watching Sid, Geno and Staal for so long.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
That happened in only his 7th NHL game. We still really had no idea what his game would look like on a regular basis at the NHL level when that happened or how it differs from what he is now.

The year after that he had a 21 goal season in 2009-10. I'm not sure he ever had any more potential than that. He was only a 20 something goal guy in junior.

Carolina fans also raved about the guy's play there long after the injury. I'm not sure if Sutter just isn't playing as good here or we just have totally different standards and expectations for our centers based on watching Sid, Geno and Staal for so long.

I don't think that's it. I mean, you don't expect Sid or Geno when you watch Sutter, but you also don't expect Dustin Jeffrey (who could easily replace Sutter and we wouldn't ever notice until somebody sees that he shoots left, not right. :D)

I don't know, CH. I saw a guy with a lot more bite in his game as a junior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad