Salary Cap: Brandon Sutter (Not a multiplayer trade thread / discussion thread)

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
What the most you think JR will match if someone sent Sutter an offer sheet?

I think he'd love an offer sheet. So many of his moves have been Sutter leverage. He'd probably take the 1st and 3rd and cap space? Unless I'm misreading the situation (he hasn't said anything about Sutter publicly)

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I think he'd love an offer sheet. So many of his moves have been Sutter leverage. He'd probably take the 1st and 3rd and cap space? Unless I'm misreading the situation (he hasn't said anything about Sutter publicly)

No I think this is where we are. I wouldn't mind it either. An extra 1st and getting back in the 3rd round is big. We can get rid of a 1st and still have one. Something VERY weird for us.

Probably anywhere up to 4.5 I think he'd match. Not worth much more than that to us

4.5 million? Hell no. I don't know if I would match Sutter past 3.75M.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
how does that work? Would we get the picks of the team that offer-sheeted him?

Yes.

$1,110,249 or below None
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 Third-round pick
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 Second-round pick
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 First-round and third-round pick
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 First-round, second-round and third-round pick
Over $6,728,781 to $8,410,976 Two first-round picks, second-round pick, third-round pick
Over $8,410,976 Four first-round picks

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yes.

$1,110,249 or below None
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 Third-round pick
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 Second-round pick
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 First-round and third-round pick
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 First-round, second-round and third-round pick
Over $6,728,781 to $8,410,976 Two first-round picks, second-round pick, third-round pick
Over $8,410,976 Four first-round picks

So, imo, he'd match anything up to 3,365,000

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
We need to trade his rights. We're trying to sign him long term 4-5 years but he only wants 2 so he can hit UFA and bolt outta here as soon as he gets his chance. He knows he will never be a #2 center here with Sid and Geno.

We, as fans, have to face the fact that as long as we have this (awesome to have) dilemma, we will be constantly cycling through 3rd line centers unless we find someone who can't wait to spend their entire career as a 3rd line center with no ambition to progress.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
We need to trade his rights. We're trying to sign him long term 4-5 years but he only wants 2 so he can hit UFA and bolt outta here as soon as he gets his chance. He knows he will never be a #2 center here with Sid and Geno.

We, as fans, have to face the fact that as long as we have this (awesome to have) dilemma, we will be constantly cycling through 3rd line centers unless we find someone who can't wait to spend their entire career as a 3rd line center with no ambition to progress.

Depends on if anybody offer sheets him and how much. If we get a 1st and a 3rd coming our way, gimme the picks.

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
Depends on if anybody offer sheets him and how much. If we get a 1st and a 3rd coming our way, gimme the picks.

we I would consider that as a trade. but you have to look at it this way

someone offer sheets him 1 year.. we match and he's still a RFA at the end of it

someone offer sheets him 2 years.. they run the risk of losing him to UFA and still have to pay compensation

someone offer sheets him 3+ years... depending on how much, we match and Sutter runs the risk of losing UFA time and is stuck here playing behind sid and geno for 3+ season and JR starts getting what he wants.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
If we pay him anywhere in the ball park of 4 million we might as well have given Kulimen than inflated contract. Sutter player 81 games and scored 26 points. How do you demand that much more money after a season like that?

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
If we pay him anywhere in the ball park of 4 million we might as well have given Kulimen than inflated contract. Sutter player 81 games and scored 26 points. How do you demand that much more money after a season like that?

what it boils down to is that we qualified him, so he can either take a contract or not play which would be bad for everyone.

worst case scenario, he signs a 2 year contract regardless of money and he leaves after

middle case, he signs a 1 year and we do this again next season

best case, we sign him to 4+ because he really is a solid 3rd line center who can step up when needed

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

I don't think many fans (on this site, at least) need to face many facts regarding Sutter. I don't think many (if any) view him as irreplaceable, the 2013-2014 post season notwithstanding

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
I don't think many fans (on this site, at least) need to face many facts regarding Sutter. I don't think many (if any) view him as irreplaceable, the 2013-2014 post season notwithstanding

I'm not saying we have to face facts that Sutter wants out. I'm saying in general we will have a steady stream of new 3rd line centers because unless whoever wants to convert to wing, there is slim to no chance they will ever play top 6 roles.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

It seems to me that his AAV isn't going to be the problem, but that the term will. As you said, he has no standing to ask for a high dollar value. If he had, he'd have filed for arbitration. Had he done so, it's very likely he'd have been in line for a sizable pay cut.

To me, this guy never really seemed to want to be here. He was shook up when the trade was announced, the first thing out of his mouth was something about how he thought he could be a top 6 player and then he sleepwalked through much of his time on this club--only playing to his potential in the last two months of a contract year.

If he won't ink a long-term deal, my belief is that's because he plans to jet. I'm not sure the club has a better solution for 3C (Goc is equal or better, imo, but has an extensive injury history; Spaling remains unknown to me), but if the Penguins think he's got one foot out the door, best to handle it now instead of losing yet another guy who should have some value for nothing.

sauce66871

Dec 14, 2011
I'm with the majority saying no to 4.5, that's just ridiculous money for him. In a perfect world, which probably wouldn't go over well with most fans, but save the 4.5, take the 1st and 3rd round pick, and lure Steve Ott to be our 3rd line center. Although, there would be no way Downie and Ott could both survive on the same team. One would probably eat the other.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
I agree that if someone submits an offer sheet in the 1st and 3rd range, we should take the picks. However, we can not rely on that happening. We are talking about the McJesus draft here, teams don't want to give up those picks. Give him some time to think on his future, if he gets the offer, ok, otherwise, put out feelers to see what we can get for him. Sutter + Dumoulin is surely going to get us a LW for Malkin. An extra 1st in next years draft would be awesome, but not as awesome as getting that elusive LW for Geno.

Worst case scenario, he signs a 2 year but at less AAV, we keep him for part of the season. Then trade Martin for the winger we need, and at the deadline, we use Sutter as trade bait for either more D, or wait and deal him at next years draft for extra picks.

Edit: Hey, idea, trade him to Florida for a 2nd and our 3rd back. Next we pay someone to take Scuds, (offer them a 2016 mid round pick for their troubles). Then, with those picks in hand, we submit an offer sheet to Reilly Smith at 2 years 10M. I doubt Boston could match that. That gets us our winger, and hurts a rival, and pisses off Monteal, (because they didn't think of it first. ;)) Worst case scenario, they dump someone important to free up the space, it still hurts them without costing us anything. :nod:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad