Guys who elevate their game

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
Lehkonen. 15 goals and 27 points in 31 playoff games with the Avs, many of those goals being clutch while also doing his usual PK and forchecking demon stuff. He’s basically been Nuke but in a smaller package.

Fun fact: Lehk and Nuke have 12 even strength goals apiece the past three playoffs. This is more than MacKinnon or Rantanen. It cannot be understated just how good these two have been for the Avs - both regular season and even more in the playoffs. I still see people thinking Lehkonen is some middle six player…he’s been an excellent first line forward in usage by the Avs for a couple years now. Nuke is a flat out star. Both are absolute core pieces of the Avs franchise.

HM “not my team mention”…Verhaeghe. Yes, he’s basically a 40 goal, PPG regular season player but in the playoffs…he has 17 EVEN STRENGTH goals in the last 3 seasons (36 games). This leads the NHL by 3 over second place. He’s just remarkable and seemingly keeps getting better.
Vergaege came to my mind

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Going with not my own team -

Connor McDavid. He's like a perpetual motion machine - just when you think he's hit his best, he finds another gear.

Honorable mentions to Verhaege, Tkachuk, Draisaitl, and - I LOATHE to say it - Marchand.

Reactions: thadd and Joseppi

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Considering how bad his first few games were it's shocking that Shesterkin is. 0.929 career playoff save %. He has a 0.921 over the regular season so it's not a huge difference, but he's only had two seasons of 0.920+ in the regular season, one was his rookie season that was short.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Kotkaniemi, and I'm not even joking. Regular season, he was a healthy scratch passenger. But this year and last year in the playoffs, he's been one of our more consistent performers. Hits heavy, gets involved in the forecheck and backcheck, get himself into some greasy areas to get surprising shots on net. Pretty much the exact kind of glue guy you want in the playoffs.
Not surprised one bit. Habs fan hate on the guy but they will admit he was a good playoffs performer. He always played better in the playoffs than during the regular season.
Game 6 OT winner vs Toronto comes to mind.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Kotkaniemi, and I'm not even joking. Regular season, he was a healthy scratch passenger. But this year and last year in the playoffs, he's been one of our more consistent performers. Hits heavy, gets involved in the forecheck and backcheck, get himself into some greasy areas to get surprising shots on net. Pretty much the exact kind of glue guy you want in the playoffs.

Not surprised.

He was good for MTL in playoffs.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's been said but Eichel. Through 4.4 series, Eichel is not only the guy who steps up and stirs the drink for Vegas, but he's the only guy who has consistently put up a high level effort in every playoff game the Knights have played since getting him. I had the misfortune of being in the building for Edmonton's blowout win in game 2 last year. After goal 3 or 4, the entirety of Vegas' roster mentally checked out except for Eichel who kept giving it his all every shift.

That willingness to battle every time he hits the ice has made him a favorite of mine over guys who have been on the team longer.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Lehkonen , Nichuskin , Demko , Kempe just off the top of my head

Verhaege as well someone posted it above cant believe i forgot him . Take your pick from Floridas roster . Bennett big fan of that guy . Tkachuk

Reactions: thadd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad