Salary Cap: Brandon Sutter (Not a multiplayer trade thread / discussion thread)

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I’m expecting 2 years, $3M per. From his point of view, he gets to UFA as soon as he can where he can become a 2nd line center. He might not be good enough to be a second line center, but in his mind, I’m sure he thinks he is. From the Pens point of view, they don’t have to go through this again next year and they have a cost controlled third line center for 2 more years that is easily tradable if they choose to.

An offer sheet isn’t going to happen.

The only other option is trading him now which is definitely possible. I think the Pens want to keep him though. Goc and/or Spaling can play third line center, but Sutter is the only one that I would want to fill in at 2nd line center in case of a long time injury to Sid or Geno and/or if they decide to play Sid and Geno on the same line again in the playoffs.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
I think they should be shopping him aggressively right now. He's both replaceable internally in the present and probably not in the long-term picture for the future. Furthermore, he could possibly fetch the coveted winger if packaged with another asset or two.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I think Sutter's dilemma is he's up for RFA but he's coming off a bad year and likely doesn't want to lock himself into that value. He probably wants a short-term deal so he can play better and boost his value before signing long-term.

I remember when Jordan Staal went through something like this. It wasn't exactly the same but he had that awful sophomore slump season where he only had 12 goals and he was eligible for an extension after that sophomore season. Someone asked him during that off-season if he was talking extension with the Pens and he basically said no and his point was what leverage could he possibly have coming off a 12 goal season. He didn't want to lock himself into that value. He wanted the chance to up his value with a bounce back season and he did.

Sutter obviously can't wait until the season to sign with the Pens like Staal did but I can see why he may want a short-term deal to up his value before signing long-term.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Makes sense for him. But we can't risk him walking in free agency in a year or two. His RFA rights are worth more than him as a soon to be UFA as well.

I just never got the feeling he wanted to be here long term.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Makes sense for him. But we can't risk him walking in free agency in a year or two. His RFA rights are worth more than him as a soon to be UFA as well.

I agree.

It was a bit weird how hard he took being traded here. You'd think he'd be ecstatic but he didn't seem to be. Maybe he knew the lack of opportunity here behind Sid and Geno or he just liked it in Carolina. He was way more of a fan favorite there than he's been here.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Same, tbh. If he can't be locked down long term trade him. He also has a crappy history here. JR traded him, Shero used him as trade bait and gave him garbage wingers, and then JR became the new GM who may have tried to trade him already. :laugh:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I believe he becomes elgibile for UFA after next season as well. So you can't even sign him to a one year prove it deal. Unless he'll sign for 3+ years, he's worth more to us via trade.

Pair him with one of our high end D prospects and see if there's a deal to be made. Maybe if you move him with Martin, a high end winger becomes available to us.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
Stupid question, but is there any potential for Sutter to slot up and play some top six wing? He does have a nice release and can skate well enough.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
I think they have tried that with less than spectacular results.

That may be, but right now they have Glass Bennett and bumb knee Dupuis penciled in to the top 6.

Though I suppose if it comes to it Spaling and Downie will get top 6 duty before Sutter.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Dream scenario would be Calgary putting in an offer sheet worth $4M per, we let him go and we get their 1st and 3rd, we win the lottery and draft McDavid. :laugh:

Then I realized, Feaster isn't their GM anymore, though their new GM giving Engelland close to $3M is pretty dumb in my eyes so hey, bring Sutter home, Calgary. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad