Post-Game Talk: Brandon Sutter is my friend 2013: Pens vs Bruins, 3-12-2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Tk has actually contributed this year, not enough, but he is hardly the Pens biggest issue. Matt Cooke has done next to nothing this year, but I don't see him getting hammered daily on this board. The entire 4th line, outside of Vitale has to go. And heck, what has Vitale done in any of the games he has played? Last night, the players who offered no contribution were Adams, Glass and Vitale, maybe Jefferey. At least TK had a couple opportunities to score.

Matt Cooke is still one of our better penalty killers and one of our most physical forwards, all while making less money than TK. And this is aside from the fact that he has been more productive than TK this season offensively

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
TK and Glass are not playing well enough to hold a roster spot. I am not a pts or stats guy, but i like to think "good shifts vs. bad shifts". TK and Glass have just had so few good shifts.

+ Duper. why was he so angry. He has no idea how to hit...i think he power thrusted a guy into the boards twice, but he laid out big Z with it. Love the effort. He works on Sid's line because he is willing to do whatever it takes to help. That is his game.

+ switching to a 2-3 forecheck in the 3rd (per Kunitz interview on what changed to lead to the goals). + to DB for that. All of a sudden we looked like the cup winning brand of hockey again. We are going to swarm you to death, tire you out, force mistakes, and capitalize with skill and effort. We lack size, but that upped the tempo and let our faster players be in better position to win hustle battles.

- size. The first period was trouble. I still see a major weakness when bigger teams are playing up tempo. They establish position in prime areas too easily. And it's not an effort thing. It's like 5 guards playing 5 power forwards at times.

- me for a basketball reference....what happened.

+ kunitz. He wont stay this hot, but he clearly worked on opening his body to the shot, or is just focusing on it more. He is scoring because he is ready to get hard shots on net. Much like Neal with Geno. I think he can maintain close to this pace if Sid and Dupes keep playing hard. His goals look more systematic than lucky IMO

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I hate when coaches or media members say a player embellished when hit in the face. It's a stick to the face. It's the one spot you are not expecting to be hit on the ice. It was also a goalie stick.

There is no way around it... it ****ing hurts! :laugh:

Julien has built a reputation for himself as being the biggest loud-mouthed whiner amongst coaches in this league, especially when it comes to the whole "diving" issue. You know it's bad when even John Stewart is willing to dedicate an entire segment on his show to it during the 2011 cup finals.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
TK and Glass are not playing well enough to hold a roster spot. I am not a pts or stats guy, but i like to think "good shifts vs. bad shifts". TK and Glass have just had so few good shifts.

+ Duper. why was he so angry. He has no idea how to hit...i think he power thrusted a guy into the boards twice, but he laid out big Z with it. Love the effort. He works on Sid's line because he is willing to do whatever it takes to help. That is his game.

+ switching to a 2-3 forecheck in the 3rd (per Kunitz interview on what changed to lead to the goals). + to DB for that. All of a sudden we looked like the cup winning brand of hockey again. We are going to swarm you to death, tire you out, force mistakes, and capitalize with skill and effort. We lack size, but that upped the tempo and let our faster players be in better position to win hustle battles.

- size. The first period was trouble. I still see a major weakness when bigger teams are playing up tempo. They establish position in prime areas too easily. And it's not an effort thing. It's like 5 guards playing 5 power forwards at times.

- me for a basketball reference....what happened.

+ kunitz. He wont stay this hot, but he clearly worked on opening his body to the shot, or is just focusing on it more. He is scoring because he is ready to get hard shots on net. Much like Neal with Geno. I think he can maintain close to this pace if Sid and Dupes keep playing hard. His goals look more systematic than lucky IMO

I see very little reason (if any at all) to keep Glass in the lineup in particular. He's even looked sub-par for a 4th liner this season.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
agreed.
im just waiting for someone to show up and say we need his "toughness"

It's not like his hits are exactly "bone shattering" nor has he been dropping the gloves all that much. I'd rather sacrifice his "toughness" for someone that can actually skate, forecheck well, and play solid defense. As bad as Adams may be, he's still a far more effective player than Glass in my opinion.

khaoskennedy

Aug 6, 2010
Western, PA
It's not like his hits are exactly "bone shattering" nor has he been dropping the gloves all that much. I'd rather sacrifice his "toughness" for someone that can actually skate, forecheck well, and play solid defense. As bad as Adams may be, he's still a far more effective player than Glass in my opinion.

again, i totally agree

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Reading the Bruins GDT was epic. So many, many tears.

So much jealousy. :yo:

I didn't see jealousy so much as epic denial. The B's lost because they were exhausted playing a back-to-back against a "rested" Penguins team, as if the Pens didn't just play 3 games in 4 nights and aren't tied for having the most games played in the NHL. Every team has a tough schedule this season. Blaming being tired is excuse making at its finest. Your team thought they could go up 2 goals early and just sit back and cling to that lead. It might work against a less talented team but it backfired on them last night, end of story. Be pissed because your team didn't play hard and/or smart for 60 minutes or because your coach failed to adjust.

I mean if we really want to go there with the excuse making, the Pens only won by one goal because they were missing the reigning Art Ross winner. It's about as valid as saying the Bruins only lost because they were fatigued. If they're so tired they can't play a back to back like every other team in the league they should look into a better training regimen, frankly.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Kinda surprised two stanley cup winning coaches like Julien and Tortarella are so whiny, thought winning would give you some poise and restraint.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Kinda surprised two stanley cup winning coaches like Julien and Tortarella are so whiny, thought winning would give you some poise and restraint.

Tortorella at least calls out his team and tells them they sucked. Julien just keeps blaming refs, league, schedule, mode of transportation, food in visiting cities running out of ideas :laugh:

CHLLL Penguin

Nov 14, 2011
Reading the Bruins GDT was epic. So many, many tears.

So much jealousy. :yo:

I'm glad you just said this. I also just read their GDT and that was the first time I've ever read another teams GDT on this site and my god. I read the whole thing and couldn't believe half of the crap that was said. They made it seem like they were 4-17-3 and lost to an AHL team.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Why are we surprised at the Bruins' fan reactions? We would be saying the same ****. As much as we all hate to admit it, most fans bases are pretty similar, especially on HFBoards.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why are we surprised at the Bruins' fan reactions? We would be saying the same ****. As much as we all hate to admit it, most fans bases are pretty similar, especially on HFBoards.

Amen. Just go read any Flyers/Pens from last year's playoff.

But I still read other teams GDTs for fun. To see their reactions. I also go to the Flyers board to read their out of town. Montreal in this case, too, to see 'em cheering for us.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Tk has actually contributed this year, not enough, but he is hardly the Pens biggest issue. Matt Cooke has done next to nothing this year, but I don't see him getting hammered daily on this board. The entire 4th line, outside of Vitale has to go. And heck, what has Vitale done in any of the games he has played? Last night, the players who offered no contribution were Adams, Glass and Vitale, maybe Jefferey. At least TK had a couple opportunities to score.

Cooke is 9th on the team in scoring with 12 points, only 1 behind Sutter. His 5 goals tie him with Malkin and Martin. He's tied for 4th on the team with 49 hits, and is 3rd among the team's forward in blocked shots with 21. At 2:32, he ranks 2nd among Pens' forwards and 4th among Pens' skaters in SH TOI per game.

I'd hardly say Cooke has done "next to nothing". In fact, if you want to know exactly how much Kennedy has contributed in comparison to Cooke... he has as many points as Cooke has goals.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008

But I still read other teams GDTs for fun. To see their reactions. I also go to the Flyers board to read their out of town. Montreal in this case, too, to see 'em cheering for us.

Same here. I swear if you removed the pens/bruins names from both GDTs and I had no idea how the game went.... I couldnt tell which fan base is which.

Both constantly ***** about how terrible their coach is, no one is physical, no leadership, why is the forth line out there!!!!!!!!!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I hate when coaches or media members say a player embellished when hit in the face. It's a stick to the face. It's the one spot you are not expecting to be hit on the ice. It was also a goalie stick.

There is no way around it... it ****ing hurts! :laugh:

Not to mention, it's just natural reaction to fling your head back when something's at/near your face. Even if the actual contact doesn't hurt, your reaction to something coming toward your eyes is always going to be "overboard".

Seriously, have you ever watched someone when even a fly or mosquito buzzes near their face? They react the same way players do when they're high sticked!

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I think when the Pens lose the fans here are much more likely to blame our coaches/players/etc. (sometimes to a hyperbolic degree) than to let them off the hook by blaming scheduling or reffing, but YMMV. Degree of angst is probably in the same ballpark, though.

Mostly I just thought it was funny that they think a team with a record not far off of their own - especially considering we have no loser points - isn't even in the same league as they are. I didn't realize we played the 80s Oilers last night. :laugh:

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco

Jersey has a good out-of-town-thread. the Montréal one is tons of fun, but i'm surprised that they're allowed to get away with as much as they do (constant and hilarious put-downs of Boston and Toronto). tons of other out-of-town-threads (like the Leafs one) are more narrowly focused on how other games impact their team (those threads end up being boring).

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think when the Pens lose the fans here are much more likely to blame our coaches/players/etc. (sometimes to a hyperbolic degree) than to let them off the hook by blaming scheduling or reffing, but YMMV. Degree of angst is probably in the same ballpark, though.

Mostly I just thought it was funny that they think a team with a record not far off of their own - especially considering we have no loser points - isn't even in the same league as they are. I didn't realize we played the 80s Oilers last night. :laugh:

I don't look at stats, records, or anything. I simply look at the system and chemistry and see how it could be exploited come the big dance. Pens defense needs to change still and focus on man to man. Their forecheck needs to be EXACTLY what they did last night. 2-3 baby. All day.

That's why I believe Boston is the best team in the East. Even after what happened last night. They play a great playoff style and actually had a lot of chances that didn't go their way last night. THey should have NEVER taken the foot off the gas. That's a lesson learned for them.

And for craps and giggles... I'm shocked they only played 24 games (3 less than us) and only have 1 less point. :amazed: Once again - I don't care about points or anything, but I was quite shocked. I think they walk away w/ the #1 seed in the East pretty easily.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jersey has a good out-of-town-thread. the Montréal one is tons of fun, but i'm surprised that they're allowed to get away with as much as they do (constant and hilarious put-downs of Boston and Toronto). tons of other out-of-town-threads (like the Leafs one) are more narrowly focused on how other games impact their team (those threads end up being boring).

I'll check it out. I actually enjoy the GDT set up on the main board, too. It's like a live look-in at how fans react. Just cool stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad