Friedman: Brandon Saad Possible Trade?

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Even from Friedman, I don't see there being much truth to this. Regardless of this "5th in whatever" non-sense, he had 31 goals last year, and he just turned 24 years old...

Can't see someone being keen on letting someone like that go, ESPECIALLY a team in a rebuild.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Probably because centers and dmen are more important than wingers. They're set on D so...

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
That's not what I'm saying at all. You're either being intentionally stupid, or... either way, you're on the ignore list now.
You literally quoted the leafs players stats this year so I said AAs stats this year and you said his stats don't matter this year only what he did that year mattered so then I bring up that year and you change it to age then you change it to contract... you are picking what fits your naritive to make it seem like Saad received nothing of value in the first trade so we don't trade our actual assets for him if we trade for him. Childish...

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Saad would be a perfect fit in Columbus...oh wait...

Coaches do not decide who gets traded. Especially maroons like Tortorella.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Friedman:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/step-back-brandon-saad-speculation/

I was tied up with Olympic hockey reporting after posting the blog, and didn’t notice this particular note received a lot of attention. Let’s clarify a few things:

For Columbus fans, it’s more likely Urban Meyer complains about NFL players attending Michigan practices than Brandon Saad gets traded. Last week, Saad was perilously close to becoming a healthy scratch until other health issues kept him in the lineup.

When that happens, people start to talk. What’s going on here? Are the Blue Jackets unhappy with him? Is he unhappy there? How’s he playing? We better check. Saad’s a good player, and will help any team over the long term — including the Blue Jackets.

So, “very curious to see where things go” means exactly that. Let’s see where it goes. Teams will watch to see how this unfolds. You have to be aware of potential trade situations. But, at this time, there’s zero evidence GM Jarmo Kekalainen is shopping Saad. It’s possible this is some simple John Tortorella message-sending that ends once Saad gets to the level the coach expects.

As for Chicago, I initially wrote that last year. The Blackhawks, looking for a top-line fit, discussed the possibility. I don’t think it went far, because they didn’t see a way it could happen.

Anyway, I don’t think Saad should be added to any “trade watch.” Premature for that.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Great job backpedaling. Now he won't do his 30 points of the week because he is being 'taken out of context'. I like Friedman and his insider info, but please THINK before writing things down. This has got to be the 2nd time this year he backpedaled and blamed it on the fans for 'taking things out of context' when he clearly wrote it. Guy needs to take an English class if that's the case.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Love Saad, but he is nothing more than a good complimentary player

CBJ made a big trade for him and gave him a big contract and to a degree I think Jarmo had the expectations that he would be a cornerstone star, but like most wingers, he wont carry the water for the team.

Jarmo kind of shot himself in the foot by getting a good complimentary winger and then trading his top center for a dman

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Classic Friedman speculation. One of their top forwards is having a slow start so he must be a trade option.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
To me he's highly overrated and overpaid, got lucky he played with the right team at the right time.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio

CBJ made a big trade for him and gave him a big contract and to a degree I think Jarmo had the expectations that he would be a cornerstone star, but like most wingers, he wont carry the water for the team.

Jarmo kind of shot himself in the foot by getting a good complimentary winger and then trading his top center for a dman

I had thought that initially as well. BUT, Wennberg is playing with Saad and is currently leading the league in assists and outplaying Johansen. I was disappointed in the Joey for Jones trade at first but have since come around and accepted it as a good hockey trade, but am now leaning towards the idea that we won the trade and are better with Jones anchoring the defense rather than having Johansen floating around, wondering if he felt like playing hard each night.

Saad just needs to work on his finish. He gets so many breakaways with his speed, he just has no move once he gets in close besides trying to go 5 hole. But I agree he will never be the cornerstone player. He has won cups as a good complimentary player, and I hope he can do the exact same with CBJ eventually. He is only going to get better, so he will not be traded.

Last edited:

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

We're quite happy with both trades thank you very much.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Classic Friedman speculation. One of their top forwards is having a slow start so he must be a trade option.

Well congrats then. Glad you're happy with the trades, but they havent exactly resulted in team success

Uhh, yes they have. Look at the Jackets record, GAA, and other metrics since they traded Johansen for Jones. Wennberg has finally grown into the 1C role. We're all quite content with the returns we got, and have two young, core pieces in Jones and Saad that will be huge pieces to the puzzle in the future. Oh and go take a look at the Jackets current record...I think we're doing fine at the moment :naughty:

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Uhh, yes they have. Look at the Jackets record, GAA, and other metrics since they traded Johansen for Jones. Wennberg has finally grown into the 1C role. We're all quite content with the returns we got, and have two young, core pieces in Jones and Saad that will be huge pieces to the puzzle in the future. Oh and go take a look at the Jackets current record...I think we're doing fine at the moment :naughty:

9th in the east isnt exactly wowing anyone less than a quarter of the season in

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
9th in the east isnt exactly wowing anyone less than a quarter of the season in

Sheesh go look at how many games in hand they have over most teams (between 1-3 games over everyone ahead of them). Most people wrote them off to finish in the bottom-5 of the league again. Considering 8-4-2 is tied for the best start to a season through 14 games in franchise history, I'd say us CBJ fans are content.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Sheesh go look at how many games in hand they have over most teams (between 1-3 games over everyone ahead of them). Most people wrote them off to finish in the bottom-5 of the league again. Considering 8-4-2 is tied for the best start to a season through 14 games in franchise history, I'd say us CBJ fans are content.

games in hand =/= wins and more points automatically

as of today, CBJ is not a playoff team

Boston had a bunch of games in hand on Detroit down the stretch last year and lost nearly every damn one of them

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
games in hand =/= wins and more points automatically

as of today, CBJ is not a playoff team

Boston had a bunch of games in hand on Detroit down the stretch last year and lost nearly every damn one of them

I understand that, but also go look at the CBJ's schedule after this weekend. Some vary favorable matchups against underperforming and/or injury riddled teams. They play Colorado x2, Calgary x2, Tampa x2, Florida, Arizona x2, Detroit, Edmonton, NYI and Vancouver over the next 13 games.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Could you image Saad on McDavid's LW...I believe he played RW too in Chicago on a line with Hossa-Toews, no?

Saad anywhere on McDavid's line would be wonderful

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Great job backpedaling. Now he won't do his 30 points of the week because he is being 'taken out of context'. I like Friedman and his insider info, but please THINK before writing things down. This has got to be the 2nd time this year he backpedaled and blamed it on the fans for 'taking things out of context' when he clearly wrote it. Guy needs to take an English class if that's the case.

Yeah, this reminds me of when he said that Malkin "might welcome a change of scenery" then backpedaled like crazy when people took it exactly as it was said. He can be very careless with his words sometimes, and IMO this is the main difference between him and McKenzie: McKenzie will not print anything he's unsure of or that shouldn't be out there yet, because he understands the weight his words have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad