Brandon Saad 2018-19 expectations

Brandon Saad 2018-19 expectations

• Total voters

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
No. For one, the Hawks have plenty of cap flexibility at this point in time. For two, Toews is still a 1C, and those aren't easy to come by. For all his offensive flaws/issues the past few years, Toews still is one of the best two-way players in the game.
So you wouldn't rather have a Panarin, Tavares, or a Karlsson for Toews? Interesting. If that's the case, Toews shouldn't be too hard to trade. Is that the prevailing thought in the NHL? Teams would still trade for Toews (assuming the NMC is waived)?

Going back to Saad, who could unlock Saad's value as a linemate?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
So you wouldn't rather have a Panarin, Tavares, or a Karlsson for Toews? Interesting. If that's the case, Toews shouldn't be too hard to trade. Is that the prevailing thought in the NHL? Teams would still trade for Toews (assuming the NMC is waived)?

Going back to Saad, who could unlock Saad's value as a linemate?

I didn't say that, and I'm not really sure how you pulled that out of my post. I wouldn't trade him for Karlsson right now. I'd probably move him for Tavares or Panarin, though Panarin I'm very hesitant, also. As the Hawks would be without one of the best two-way players in the game, and their best center. Teams without a 1C do not win anything. At all.

I do think Toews definitely has a lot of value in the league, contract and all. Assuming he waived his NMC, I guarantee you there would be teams looking to acquire him. People act like he's some washed out, 4th line plug, who should retire. And it's hilarious. I'm critical of him, and have been for a couple years now. But to think he has absolutely no value in the NHL is absurd, and to be blunt, f***ing stupid.

Last edited:

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Here's the question: would you trade Toews' $10.5mn contract for nothing in order to get cap flexibility? If it means getting an opportunity to sign an Erik Karlsson, Artemi Panarin, or another star center ... I would.

Here's the bigger dilemma: other teams would rather sign Karlsson, Tavares, Panarin, or another star center rather than trading for Toews. That's the issue. For $10.5mn, you can fill the void at center. Heck, Anisimov was playing like a 1C with Kane and Panarin as his wingers.

For nada? No way, no how. Toews is certainly underperforming, but I'm glad you're not the GM (with all due respect).

Reactions: ChiHawks10

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
For nada? No way, no how. Toews is certainly underperforming, but I'm glad you're not the GM (with all due respect).
It wouldn't be for nada. It would be for $10.5mn in cap space. If that's the case, teams should be lining up to trade for Toews. Are they?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It wouldn't be for nada. It would be for $10.5mn in cap space. If that's the case, teams should be lining up to trade for Toews. Are they?

This logic is awful. For one, I highly doubt he is on the trading block, but if it were known that he was, I guarantee you there would be multiple teams interested/looking to acquire him. For two, they do not have any cap issues right now. None. And what are you going to do with that 10.5m right now? There is no one to sign with it... the big FAs are locked up. The 10.5m in cap space is absolutely pointless right now.

What do you think of Toews right now, piteus? Because the way you're talking, you have to believe that Toews isn't even an NHL player anymore. And that's ridiculous.

Reactions: bwana63

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I didn't say that, and I'm not really sure how you pulled that out of my post. I wouldn't trade him for Karlsson right now. I'd probably move him for Tavares or Panarin, though Panarin I'm very hesitant, also. As the Hawks would be without one of the best two-way players in the game, and their best center. Teams without a 1C do not win anything. At all.

I do think Toews definitely has a lot of value in the league, contract and all. Assuming he waived his NMC, I guarantee you there would be teams looking to acquire him. People act like he's some washed out, 4th line plug, who should retire. And it's hilarious.
I don't think anyone is saying he is washed out. However, there are many, including myself, who believe Toews' production + contract = negative (at least for the last 3 years). I guess what we can't evaluate are intangibles ... which is the difference.

Simple economics: why would you pay for something when it has negative value ... unless you believe production will increase (it hasn't for 3 years) OR there is an intrinsic value that can't be quantified?

Do you believe Toews' production will get better? Or do you believe Toews has high intrinsic value? If so, what is it?

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Toews should have a better year.
His shooting% took a hit the last two seasons. If it gets back into the low teens % rather than ~10% he should end up with ~30 goals again.
I'm expecting 27 goals and 33 assists = 60pts from him this year.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
There is no one to replace Toews out there. You can say, this player or that player will be available next year, but...

Chicago is no longer a hot destination for players, what makes you think a #1C UFA (if one ever became available) would want to come to a team that isn't a contender?

Zero interest in trading Toews and replacing him with a winger, that does absolutely nothing for the team. And zero interest in adding two 5mil C's instead of Toews.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I don't think anyone is saying he is washed out. However, there are many, including myself, who believe Toews' production + contract = negative (at least for the last 3 years). I guess what we can't evaluate are intangibles ... which is the difference.

Simple economics: why would you pay for something when it has negative value ... unless you believe production will increase (it hasn't for 3 years) OR there is an intrinsic value that can't be quantified?

Do you believe Toews' production will get better? Or do you believe Toews has high intrinsic value? If so, what is it?

I believe it will be better this season than last, yes. I expect he'll be at/above 60 points this season.

Do I believe he has value? Yes. Leadership, and other "intangibles". His special teams play. His two way play. His ability to defend against other team's best players. His offensive ability, though declined(seemingly) is still at a 50-60+ point production, which isn't exactly garbage. He doesn't have "negative value". He has value, and would in a trade. Easily. If you think he has negative value, then you think he's no longer an NHL player. Do you believe he has negative value? If that is the case, then you think he has less than 0 value. Which means he shouldn't be in the NHL any longer, no? He may not have 10.5m in value, at this point. But negative value? That's laughable, if I'm being nice. :laugh:

This isn't economics. It's hockey.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The idea of cap space is always better than the actuality of cap space. It sounds good to say, get rid of Toews, sign player X, but its not that simple. Most big name guys don't leave. Maybe Tavares opens those floodgates but I'm pretty skeptical of that.

Toews is over paid. Toews is still a very good player on the ice. Both things are true. I wouldn't want to move Toews without actually having a legitimate replacement lined up. Like, someone coming back in the deal, not just "oh well sign this guy next year."

But the reality is that Toews isn't going to be dealt. Like it or not, the Hawks aren't going to trade the face of the franchise without getting a monster return and no teams is going to offer a monster deal because of the contract.

The underlying numbers were really good last year, but the production wasn't. Hopefully that will change this year. Put me down for 25 goals and 38 assists this year.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I believe it will be better this season than last, yes. I expect he'll be at/above 60 points this season.

Do I believe he has value? Yes. Leadership, and other "intangibles". His special teams play. His two way play. His ability to defend against other team's best players. His offensive ability, though declined(seemingly) is still at a 50-60+ point production, which isn't exactly garbage. He doesn't have "negative value". He has value, and would in a trade. Easily. If you think he has negative value, then you think he's no longer an NHL player. Do you believe he has negative value? If that is the case, then you think he has less than 0 value. Which means he shouldn't be in the NHL any longer, no? He may not have 10.5m in value, at this point. But negative value? That's laughable, if I'm being nice. :laugh:

This isn't economics. It's hockey.
I never said Toews has negative PRODUCTION value. Toews still produces. However, I said Toews' production + contract = negative value. If Toews was free, NO ONE would be complaining.

When equating value ... you don't just look at revenue (production). You also have to incorporate COST. A simple explanation: revenue (production) - cost (contract) = income (value). Thus, production - contract = value.

Unless Toews is the greatest defender of all time, I don't believe 50+ points equates to being one of the highest paid players in the NHL. That by definition is negative value ... UNLESS like you say his production increases going forward (it's declined in the last 3 years) OR his "leadership skills" are beyond replaceable. Is it with 2 first round exits AND missing out in the playoffs last year? That's not a good trend.

Don't mistake confusing MINUS production vs NEGATIVE value. They are two very different things. Saying Toews' production isn't "exactly garbage" has nothing to do with his overall value. You have to also look at the cost.

That said, it appears you value Toews' leadership skills far more than me ... which is completely fair. However, I don't after 3 years. That's where the difference lies. You believe Toews' "intangibles" makes up for his lack of production at a $10.5mn cost. When do you think his "intangibles" decline?

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I never said Toews has negative PRODUCTION value. Toews still produces. However, I said Toews' production + contract = negative value. If Toews was free, NO ONE would be complaining.
When equating value ... you don't just look at revenue (production). You also have to incorporate COST. A simple explanation: revenue (production) - cost (contract) = income (value). Thus, production - cost = value.

Unless Toews is the greatest defender of all time, I don't believe 50+ points equates to being one of the highest paid players in the NHL. That by definition is negative value ... UNLESS like you say his production increases going forward (it's declined in the last 3 years) OR you his "leadership skills" are beyond replaceable. Is it with 2 first round exits AND missing out in the playoffs last year? That's not a good trend.

Don't mistake confusing MINUS production vs NEGATIVE value. They are two very different valuations. Saying Toews' production isn't "exactly garbage" has nothing to do with his overall value. You have to also look at the cost.

That said, it appears you value Toews' leadership skills far more than me ... which is completely fair. However, I don't after 3 years. That's where the difference lies. Toews' "intangibles" makes up for his lack of production at a $10.5mn cost. When do you think his "intangibles" decline?

Economics comparisons of a hockey player may be one of the dumber things I've seen on here(the logic or idea of it, not calling you dumb). You can't make them. You have absolutely no way to assign a number to his production, as there are multiple factors in it(offensive production, defensive production, special teams production, leadership production, among other things that have no possible way to assign numerical values to), therefore your economic formula for it is flawed. Badly. Which shows that your thinking on the entire situation is flawed.

And if you actually looked at his numbers, his offensive production declined 3 years ago, by about 8-10 points. And has been pretty damn steady since then, no? He has finished with roughly 60 points(or on pace for 60 points in a full season) the past 3 seasons, and has done it while facing every other team's top line, while also playing special teams well, and providing leadership/mentorship for younger players. I'm critical of his play. But your thinking is clouded on this one piteus. He has value. He provides value to the team. He isn't what he used to be, but he's still a damn fine hockey player. Again, one of the best two-way players in the game. Still.

As far as his contract and production equaling negative value... No. You're wrong. He does not have negative value. If you believe that if Toews were traded right now, that nothing would come back in return, that no NHL team would give up anything of note for him(the definition of negative value), then you should stick to football and basketball player assessment because you're way off target on this one.

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I just saw a goalie chart on twitter after Helybucks deal that was actually designed to compare goalie production compared to their pay scale impact. Then chart the range.

Obviously of players at the top productionwise Toews would be poor though some stats would have him high up still. Idk if a chart for skaters fors exist. Probably by some advanced stat sites

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Economics comparisons of a hockey player may be one of the dumber things I've seen on here(the logic or idea of it, not calling you dumb). You can't make them. You have absolutely no way to assign a number to his production, as there are multiple factors in it(offensive production, defensive production, special teams production, leadership production, among other things that have no possible way to assign numerical values to), therefore your economic formula for it is flawed. Badly. Which shows that your thinking on the entire situation is flawed.

And if you actually looked at his numbers, his offensive production declined 3 years ago, by about 8-10 points. And has been pretty damn steady since then, no? He has finished with roughly 60 points(or on pace for 60 points in a full season) the past 3 seasons, and has done it while facing every other team's top line, while also playing special teams well, and providing leadership/mentorship for younger players. I'm critical of his play. But your thinking is clouded on this one piteus. He has value. He provides value to the team. He isn't what he used to be, but he's still a damn fine hockey player. Again, one of the best two-way players in the game. Still.

As far as his contract and production equaling negative value... No. You're wrong. He does not have negative value. If you believe that if Toews were traded right now, that nothing would come back in return, that no NHL team would give up anything of note for him(the definition of negative value), then you should stick to football and basketball player assessment because you're way off target on this one.
So you believe teams would be lining to trade for Toews. By saying Toews has positive value with his current production, you are saying Jonathan Toews deserves $10.5mn. I have a feeling you are in the minority.

However, that's your opinion that you are entitled too. If I'm in Stan's position, I would NEVER pay Jonathan Toews $10.5mn right now. He's not deserving of that salary.

The definition of Moneyball is utilizing economics into sports. That's why advanced analytics is so popular nowadays. For small market teams and hard capped leagues, it's imperative to incorportating economics in evaluating players. It's how Theo Epstein, Pat Riley, and Bill Belichick became so successful. Moneyball is about exploiting the ineifficencies of the market. That does NOT mean culture isn't important. That's why I said you value Toews' "intangibles" than most on this board.

In salary hard capped leagues, it's imperative to maximize the talent from roster costs. That's how one differentiates itself from another team. You can't outspend another team. Not everyone can be the Yankees. It's not a coincidence that the Hawks have struggled AFTER Kane and Toews' massive extensions kicked in. Maybe it is a coincidence, but it's been 3 years now.

Take a look at another hard capped sport ... the NFL. Why have the Patriots been successful? Brady takes a discount and Belichick maximizes the talent from his salary cap. He's not afraid to cut overpriced veterans who don't create value.

Sports and economics are the basis of Moneyball.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
So you believe teams would be lining to trade for Toews. By saying Toews has positive value with his current production, you are saying Jonathan Toews deserves $10.5mn. I have a feeling you are in the minority.

However, that's your opinion that you are entitled too. If I'm in Stan's position, I would NEVER pay Jonathan Toews $10.5mn right now. He's not deserving of that salary.

The definition of Moneyball is utilizing economics into sports. That's why advanced analytics is so popular nowadays. For small market teams and hard capped leagues, it's imperative to incorportating economics in evaluating players. It's how Theo Epstein, Pat Riley, and Bill Belichick became so successful. Moneyball is about exploiting the ineifficencies of the market. That does NOT mean culture isn't important. That's why I said you value Toews' "intangibles" than most on this board.

In salary hard capped leagues, it's imperative to maximize the talent from roster costs. That's how one differentiates itself from another team. You can't outspend another team. Not everyone can be the Yankees. It's not a coincidence that the Hawks have struggled AFTER Kane and Toews' massive extensions kicked in. Maybe it is a coincidence, but it's been 3 years now.

Take a look at another hard capped sport ... the NFL. Why have the Patriots been successful? Brady takes a discount and Belichick maximizes the talent from his salary cap. He's not afraid to cut overpriced veterans who don't create value.

Sports and economics are the basis of Moneyball.

Moneyball doesn't really apply to hockey, at least not in the sense that it was founded upon, and not nearly in the same ways that it can be applied to baseball. There is no accounting for things in hockey like there is in something like baseball. Which is why hockey teams will never, ever be built purely based upon advanced statistics. Ever. It won't happen. You can't even come close to comparing moneyball baseball ideals for building a team to building a team in the NHL. It's just a different sport, with so many outside factors in comparison to baseball. Luck being a major one. Bounces being a major one. The openness, and randomness of the game being another. It's different. Moneyball will never apply to building a team in hockey. Can you pull bits and pieces of it and apply it? Sure. But it will never fit hockey the way it fits baseball. Baseball is hard-coded to be played a specific way. Hockey isn't.

And no, by saying he has value with his current production is not stating that he deserves 10.5m. I get what you're saying. That the fact that his production doesn't equal his salary, he therefore has negative value. But that's not true. Not sure why you think it is. He may not be worth his salary, so in that sense, his value is "negative" in that his play does not correlate to 10.5m. But negative value implies that he will return nothing in a trade. That the Hawks would achieve nothing by trading Toews other than dumping salary cap... And that's false.

I guarantee you that teams would definitely be interested in acquiring Toews in a trade. Salary may have to be retained. Or you may not get the better part of a deal. But you wouldn't walk away with "nothing". If you go back and read my posts, I have admitted numerous times that Toews play the past 3 seasons has been on par with someone making about 6-7m per season. Not that he is worth 10.5m.

I'm not over-valuing his "intangibles". There is nothing intangible about him being one of the best two-way players in the game still. There is nothing intangible about him being a defensive allstar. There is nothing intangible about his special teams contributions. Did he have a poor season? Yes. But to me, it was his first season where he was really not doing all the little things he normally does nightly. And I expect this season won't be the same in that regard.

No, you wouldn't pay him 10.5m right now, but by stating that you believe he has negative value, you're stating that in a trade, Toews wouldn't return anything. He would return a bag of pucks. When that is just flat-out false. Bryan Bickell had negative value when he was traded from the Hawks. It was a pure salary dump, where nothing was gained, and more than just Bickell was lost. Do you believe the Hawks would have to add a very good player to a trade to move Toews?

Why, btw, are you continually commenting on/accusing me of things that I've never actually said? Read. Understand what I'm saying. Don't just make things up to fit the points you're trying to prove.

Toews has value. It may not be value equal to his salary. But he still has value.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Moneyball doesn't really apply to hockey, at least not in the sense that it was founded upon, and not nearly in the same ways that it can be applied to baseball. There is no accounting for things in hockey like there is in something like baseball. Which is why hockey teams will never, ever be built purely based upon advanced statistics. Ever. It won't happen. You can't even come close to comparing moneyball baseball ideals for building a team to building a team in the NHL. It's just a different sport, with so many outside factors in comparison to baseball. Luck being a major one. Bounces being a major one. The openness, and randomness of the game being another. It's different. Moneyball will never apply to building a team in hockey. Can you pull bits and pieces of it and apply it? Sure. But it will never fit hockey the way it fits baseball. Baseball is hard-coded to be played a specific way. Hockey isn't.

And no, by saying he has value with his current production is not stating that he deserves 10.5m. I get what you're saying. That the fact that his production doesn't equal his salary, he therefore has negative value. But that's not true. Not sure why you think it is. He may not be worth his salary, so in that sense, his value is "negative" in that his play does not correlate to 10.5m. But negative value implies that he will return nothing in a trade. That the Hawks would achieve nothing by trading Toews other than dumping salary cap... And that's false.

I guarantee you that teams would definitely be interested in acquiring Toews in a trade. Salary may have to be retained. Or you may not get the better part of a deal. But you wouldn't walk away with "nothing". If you go back and read my posts, I have admitted numerous times that Toews play the past 3 seasons has been on par with someone making about 6-7m per season. Not that he is worth 10.5m.

I'm not over-valuing his "intangibles". There is nothing intangible about him being one of the best two-way players in the game still. There is nothing intangible about him being a defensive allstar. There is nothing intangible about his special teams contributions. Did he have a poor season? Yes. But to me, it was his first season where he was really not doing all the little things he normally does nightly. And I expect this season won't be the same in that regard.

No, you wouldn't pay him 10.5m right now, but by stating that you believe he has negative value, you're stating that in a trade, Toews wouldn't return anything. He would return a bag of pucks. When that is just flat-out false. Bryan Bickell had negative value when he was traded from the Hawks. It was a pure salary dump, where nothing was gained, and more than just Bickell was lost. Do you believe the Hawks would have to add a very good player to a trade to move Toews?

Why, btw, are you continually commenting on/accusing me of things that I've never actually said? Read. Understand what I'm saying. Don't just make things up to fit the points you're trying to prove.

Toews has value. It may not be value equal to his salary. But he still has value.
I'm not trying to be harsh in Toews. If he's playing like a $6-7mn player now ... he's worth negative $3-4mn.

You are correct in one way ... if he's production is worth $6-7mn, then the Hawks can theoretically receive a $2-3mn player back ... making up for for his contractual discrepancy. Unfortunately, because the NHL is a salary capped sport, that negative value of $3-4mn (relative to Toews' contract) carries a ton of weight. Look how much it cost to get rid of Hossa's contract. The Hawks basically had to take back Kruger's contract and give up Hino. That was for a cap hit of $5.2mn.

Moneyball is very simple. It's the art of exploiting market inefficiencies. It's the same thing we do on Wall Street. It's called arbitrage. We take the fallacy of believed norms and exploit its financial inefficiencies. You are correct ... baseball is the easiest because of the individual nature of the game. However, we've done it for football, soccer, basketball, and hockey. Basketball now covets shooters and wings over the dominant 7 footer. Even hockey is going for smaller / skilled players over goons. There's a reason why DMen are getting smaller and faster.

Look ... I get why fans love Toews. Heck, I even love Seabrook. When I mean NEGATIVE value, I just mean perceived production minus cost unless future projections differ. In theory, if Toews is a $6mn player ... I guess the Hawks can get a $2mn player back in return (the Hawks making up for the production / contract discrepancy). HOWEVER, because the of the LENGTH of the contract and the value of cap space (the Hawks will probably want the space rather than player if given a choice), I highly doubt the Hawks would receive anything decent in return.

That is of course ... if you take my position. If you believe Toews is still a good player for that money and length, then you'll have a difference in opinion ... which you are entitled too.

Business can be cruel. I try to cut off all emotions (which is impossible) when it comes to the health of our business. I have an obligation to our shareholders, clients, and employees. I'm not going to lie to you ... I'm giving ZERO credit for Toews past performance. I admit ... it's kind of harsh.

It's not always right ... but it is what makes a person like Bill Belichick, Bill Belichick. Just ruthless until the end. Ultimately, he wanted to get rid of Brady for Garropolo until Kraft's emotion got involved. In the long term, I believe Belichick will be proven right.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'm not trying to be harsh in Toews. If he's playing like a $6-7mn player now ... he's worth negative $3-4mn.

You are correct in one way ... if he's production is worth $6-7mn, then the Hawks can theoretically receive a $2-3mn player back ... making up for for his contractual discrepancy. Unfortunately, because the NHL is a salary capped sport, that negative value of $3-4mn (relative to Toews' contract) carries a ton of weight. Look how much it cost to get rid of Hossa's contract. The Hawks basically had to take back Kruger's contract and give up Hino. That was for a cap hit of $5.2mn.

Moneyball is very simple. It's the art of exploiting market inefficiencies. It's the same thing we do on Wall Street. It's called arbitrage. We take the fallacy of believed norms and exploit its financial inefficiencies. You are correct ... baseball is the easiest because of the individual nature of the game. However, we've done it for football, soccer, basketball, and hockey. Basketball now covets shooters and wings over the dominant 7 footer. Even hockey is going for smaller / skilled players over goons. There's a reason why DMen are getting smaller and faster.

Look ... I get why fans love Toews. Heck, I even love Seabrook. When I mean NEGATIVE value, I just mean perceived production minus cost unless future projections differ. In theory, if Toews is a $6mn player ... I guess the Hawks can get a $2mn player back in return (the Hawks making up for the production / contract discrepancy). HOWEVER, because the of the LENGTH of the contract and the value of cap space (the Hawks will probably want the space rather than player if given a choice), I highly doubt the Hawks would receive anything decent in return.

That is of course ... if you take my position. If you believe Toews is still a good player for that money and length, then you'll have a difference in opinion ... which you are entitled too.

Business can be cruel. I try to cut off all emotions (which is impossible) when it comes to the health of our business. I have an obligation to our shareholders, clients, and employees. I'm not going to lie to you ... I'm giving ZERO credit for Toews past performance. I admit ... it's kind of harsh.

:thumbu:

Fair enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad