Brandon Prust

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
He has been a shadow of his self two years ago (the sens playoff year), but we would be a considerably worse team without him. I know he's not scoring, and even playing pretty crap defensively most of the time, but he's one guy who I'm going to forgive because of the intangibles. I do think he can pick it up once playoffs start. In fact i'm certain he will play a very prominent role.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Prust sees himself as a third liner at worst.
He plays better on three than four.
This has been evident for more than a season now.
Unfortunately we are not blessed with enough talent to support him on three...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
*preface by saying that, although i dislike fighting in the NHL -because it is pointless and completely unnecessary for the game of hockey (i love combat sports, hockey is not a combat sport), it is unfortunately a reality in the league, and players who take on that role do have an impact on the team identity…

Prust looks like the wear and tear has caught up to him this season. Hard to envision him "bouncing back", unless there is a significant injury affecting his overall play that will get addressed effectively in the offseason.

if this is the case, MB should really do 2 important things:

- identify and bring in a suitable younger and ideally cheaper replacement (i.e a good locker room guy who plays with a warrior mentality, accepts/embraces his role in sticking up for his teammates, and can hold his own vs the other "goons" or intimidation-focused players in the league).

- trade Prust to a team with a GM who will look at the intangibles that a guy like Prust brings and "overpay" to get him… and if that isn't doable, ask Prust where he wants to go (or doesn't) and do everything possible to get him to one of those teams even if the return is nilch.

if MB could turn Prust into a 3rd round pick (or better, of course), the cap/ROI factors could help mitigate the negative impact on the players from the pov of trading away a guy who has been a warrior and whom they seem to very much appreciate, and from a hockey sense, it's a no-brainer.

in the absence of that, doing right by him would circulate quickly and help ease that factor as well.

2.5M$ for a guy who, hockey-wise, is an average 4th liner at this point, is a waste. That cap space is better allocated elsewhere unless moving him has a serious negative effect on the room. A solid return is a narrative that would both mitigate that and be seriously astute asset management.

i think it would be a mistake to move him without factoring in that human side… but from a hockey sense, keeping makes even less sense.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Prust has been putting his body on the line to defend the smurfs squad, he's been the only warrior on the ice far too many times and to see fans undervalue his contribution to this team really hurts mi feels.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Prust has been putting his body on the line to defend the smurfs squad, he's been the only warrior on the ice far too many times and to see fans undervalue his contribution to this team really hurts mi feels.

So very true, it disgusts me the lack of overall comprehension of players worth to the team, that permeates many threads here, on the Habs Board!!!:shakehead

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
*preface by saying that, although i dislike fighting in the NHL -because it is pointless and completely unnecessary for the game of hockey (i love combat sports, hockey is not a combat sport), it is unfortunately a reality in the league, and players who take on that role do have an impact on the team identity…

Prust looks like the wear and tear has caught up to him this season. Hard to envision him "bouncing back", unless there is a significant injury affecting his overall play that will get addressed effectively in the offseason.

if this is the case, MB should really do 2 important things:

- identify and bring in a suitable younger and ideally cheaper replacement (i.e a good locker room guy who plays with a warrior mentality, accepts/embraces his role in sticking up for his teammates, and can hold his own vs the other "goons" or intimidation-focused players in the league).

- trade Prust to a team with a GM who will look at the intangibles that a guy like Prust brings and "overpay" to get him… and if that isn't doable, ask Prust where he wants to go (or doesn't) and do everything possible to get him to one of those teams even if the return is nilch.

if MB could turn Prust into a 3rd round pick (or better, of course), the cap/ROI factors could help mitigate the negative impact on the players from the pov of trading away a guy who has been a warrior and whom they seem to very much appreciate, and from a hockey sense, it's a no-brainer.

in the absence of that, doing right by him would circulate quickly and help ease that factor as well.

2.5M$ for a guy who, hockey-wise, is an average 4th liner at this point, is a waste. That cap space is better allocated elsewhere unless moving him has a serious negative effect on the room. A solid return is a narrative that would both mitigate that and be seriously astute asset management.

i think it would be a mistake to move him without factoring in that human side… but from a hockey sense, keeping makes even less sense.
Ok...so you think you can identify that Father Time has caught up to him, but you figure a GM would just pick him up and his 2.5 million dollar salary just because....I'm thinking if you can see he's "finished", then other GM's and scouts will to....
Well I got news for you, he isn't finished, and he ain't going anywhere, certainly not traded for a 3rd round pick. Bergevin isn't trying to build an All-Star team, he's building for a playoff run and Prust is most certainly part of that equation

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Ok...so you think you can identify that Father Time has caught up to him, but you figure a GM would just pick him up and his 2.5 million dollar salary just because....I'm thinking if you can see he's "finished", then other GM's and scouts will to....
Well I got news for you, he isn't finished, and he ain't going anywhere, certainly not traded for a 3rd round pick. Bergevin isn't trying to build an All-Star team, he's building for a playoff run and Prust is most certainly part of that equation

my bad… forgot that every GM evaluates players exactly the same way.

weaksauce.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
What he did yesterday was priceless. The last 10 games we played like wussies. He and Gallagher woke up the troops.

Gamble80

Sep 23, 2014
I'll paraphrase Don Cherry from a few weeks ago:

"these guys that sit at home and just look at numbers don't understand what tough guys bring to the team. These warriors (Prust), are needed to protect your players and spark your team...but you NERDS don't get that!"

Basically what Cherry said a few weeks back. If you don't see what Prust brings to the table, you're blind.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
my bad… forgot that every GM evaluates players exactly the same way.

weaksauce.

Your forgiven...cause you know when you get rid of a finished player with dollars they'll give you their finished player with dollars.....

Pork and beans

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I don't know I thought Prust was done but he's definitely the heart off this team. Playing like a first liner right now too.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
A buyout will help him pay for the wedding. $2.5M is too much for what he brings nowadays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad