Confirmed with Link: Brandon Prust to Montreal [4 years, $10M]

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Did I say that?

Man, some people creates the ********* of strawmen.

You probably also thinks Subban's absence from the team wouldn't make a difference since he also doesn't play 60 minutes, right? RIGHT?!

If you think Prust's input is the same as Subban's, I won't spend more time argueing with you.

PricePkPatch*

If you think Prust's input is the same as Subban's, I won't spend more time argueing with you.

Hey, it's you who said that since Prust wasn't on the ice for 60 minutes, he shouldn't be missed. Im just using the exact benchmarks you set.

Clearly you cannot understand the importance a single player can have on the team. Or the the impact he have on the opposition by his constant physical play. For you, apparently, the only genuine contribution a player can make I'd through scoring. If we are still winning, we don't miss a certain player!

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Would like to see him back on a line with Eller and Galchenyuk.

This.

The folly of "Prust is a 4th liner" is appearing more and more on threads here.

How quickly the impact of Prust is forgotten and how quickly he has been taken for granted.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
This.

The folly of "Prust is a 4th liner" is appearing more and more on threads here.

How quickly the impact of Prust is forgotten and how quickly he has been taken for granted.

Or right lets play Prust on the 3rd line and put Bourque with White and Armstrong :shakehead

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Hey, it's you who said that since Prust wasn't on the ice for 60 minutes, he shouldn't be missed. Im just using the exact benchmarks you set.

Clearly you cannot understand the importance a single player can have on the team. Or the the impact he have on the opposition by his constant physical play. For you, apparently, the only genuine contribution a player can make I'd through scoring. If we are still winning, we don't miss a certain player!

I don't think anyone would say that the team is better off without Prust, but I feel that as fans we put far too much emphasis on the rah rah grit and toughnessv stuff and not having Prust. If the difference between winning and losing for our team is having or not having Prust in the lineup, there's far bigger problems with the team than a bit of a lack of grit. I love what Prust does and he's been fantastic this year, but the reality is he's a bottom 6 guy (albeit a very good one), and shouldn't be a core reason for us winning or losing games. The lack of Ryder, Bourque, or Diaz is likely more of a problem than the lack of Prust.

PricePkPatch*

I don't think anyone would say that the team is better off without Prust, but I feel that as fans we put far too much emphasis on the rah rah grit and toughnessv stuff and not having Prust. If the difference between winning and losing for our team is having or not having Prust in the lineup, there's far bigger problems with the team than a bit of a lack of grit. I love what Prust does and he's been fantastic this year, but the reality is he's a bottom 6 guy (albeit a very good one), and shouldn't be a core reason for us winning or losing games. The lack of Ryder, Bourque, or Diaz is likely more of a problem than the lack of Prust.

If you conceive your bottom 6 as a whole to be nothing more than just top-6 player lacking skill, you'd be right.

If you conceive your bottom 6 as role players in your team, meant to achieve something specific that your top-6 CANNOT or SHOULD NOT, which I believe is the case with this year's Habs, then you are wrong. Prust is our greatest role-player, and this role really helps our entire team perform with more edge.

We have been able to keep winning without him; that proves we have skill. But these victories haven't been pretty like other victories we've had in the past (even when missing Diaz and Bourque!). Prust doesn't change the scoreboard, he changes how our team look on the ice. And that is what's gonna make a big difference in the long term.

Habster33

In Habs we trust!
Dec 15, 2010
I was reading the first 2 pages when he signed, does most of the people saying we overpaid him still think the same way?

I think he's worth every ****ing penny

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I was reading the first 2 pages when he signed, does most of the people saying we overpaid him still think the same way?

It appears that a lot of fans are reverting back to the mentality that you saw on the first 2 pages.

Overpaid for a 4th line grinder/fighter when Prust has been far more important to the team.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal

I'm still of the same opinion. Prust is a positive for the team, and a lot of fun to watch at times, but doesn't play a big enough role to warrant the commitment the Habs have made to him.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I'm still of the same opinion. Prust is a positive for the team, and a lot of fun to watch at times, but doesn't play a big enough role to warrant the commitment the Habs have made to him.

Please find me a player at his age that does more at less money.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Seriously?

Leads the team in +/-, second on the team in hits, as many goals as Eller, stands up for his teammates, creates space for Galchenyuk (two games for Chuckie without a single shot since Prust was injured) and you opine that he does not "play a big enough role"?

Incredible.:help:

I bet you miss Darche and Pyatt.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
Please find me a player at his age that does more at less money.

Sure, some 28/29 year old forwards who do more with a lower cap hit are Higgins and Mitchell. Some who do more with a slightly higher cap hit are Moulson, Clarkson, Brodziak and Steen. Some who play at a similar level with a lower cap hit are Gordon, RCarter and SGionta.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Seriously?

Leads the team in +/-, second on the team in hits, as many goals as Eller, stands up for his teammates, creates space for Galchenyuk (two games for Chuckie without a single shot since Prust was injured) and you opine that he does not "play a big enough role"?

only forwards with less points than him : Armstron, Moen, White, Dumont.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
only forwards with less points than him : Armstron, Moen, White, Dumont.

You are missing the forest because the trees get in the way.

Ever wonder why Prust has the highest +/- on this team?

Think about that for a second.

Its not about Prust being the scoring machine. Its about his linemates who are scoring goals.

Go back and look at the stats for Galchenyuk. Since Prust was injured, he had two games without a single shot. A talented player like Galchenyuk cannot score goals if he is not shooting. Prust creates space on the ice because of his physical play. Added to that, he is not a liability when he is on the ice like White can be.

We became one of the best teams in the East and Prust was a huge factor in that. He is single handedly the reason Galchenyuk is developing before our eyes. Prust allows it to happen.

What many are advocating is revising a winning formula that we have this season and revert back to the days of old (forgot last year already????) when our skilled lines never got a chance to produce since they were having to pick themselves off of the ice after getting smashed into the boards.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
Seriously?

I do actually miss Pyatt, he has great value. I guess you haven't watched the Lightning recently (or watch them through a toughness only filter).

Do you really think Prust did more for Galchenyuk than Gallagher did? Like I said before, Prust is fine for his role, but Gallagher is clearly a better player.

+/- and hits are not worth diddly, same goes for 2 game sample sizes.

Prust has played 13:45/g, 8th among Hab forwards - will soon be 9th as Gallagher has been used more and more - so yes, he plays a relatively minor role on the team.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
You are missing the forest because the trees get in the way.

Ever wonder why Prust has the highest +/- on this team?

Think about that for a second.

Its not about Prust being the scoring machine. Its about his linemates who are scoring goals.

Go back and look at the stats for Galchenyuk. Since Prust was injured, he had two games without a single shot. A talented player like Galchenyuk cannot score goals if he is not shooting. Prust creates space on the ice because of his physical play. Added to that, he is not a liability when he is on the ice like White can be.

We became one of the best teams in the East and Prust was a huge factor in that. He is single handedly the reason Galchenyuk is developing before our eyes. Prust allows it to happen.

What many are advocating is revising a winning formula that we have this season and revert back to the days of old (forgot last year already????) when our skilled lines never got a chance to produce since they were having to pick themselves off of the ice after getting smashed into the boards.

...or his +/- could have to do with starting the season on the team's most sheltered line... or an unsustainable, team high PDO of 1081... there are many factors that go into +/- that have nothing to do with a player's performance. It's not a stat I consider to have any value.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
...or his +/- could have to do with starting the season on the team's most sheltered line... or an unsustainable, team high PDO of 1081... there are many factors that go into +/- that have nothing to do with a player's performance. It's not a stat I consider to have any value.

Isnt it a wonderful thing when a line is producing goals while playing against the team's most sheltered line?

Is there a goal differential/bonus if you score against a top line as opposed to the 3rd or 4th line?

Congrats. I give you credit for one of the most imaginative uses of "reaching".;)

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
Isnt it a wonderful thing when a line is producing goals while playing against the team's most sheltered line?

Is there a goal differential/bonus if you score against a top line as opposed to the 3rd or 4th line?

Congrats. I give you credit for one of the most imaginative uses of "reaching".;)

Prust's higher +/- does not prove that he is a better ES player than Plekanec, it is the result of circumstance. Prust was in a different, tougher role for the Rangers last season, and was -1. Doesn't mean he's better at 29 than he was at 28. I'm sure you can see the effect of context on +/-. It's good thing to have production when given soft minutes, but you should be aware of the context when discussing that production.

PricePkPatch*

Waaaaaiit..

I have on good faith by about 80% of this board that it's DESHARNAIS who is the sheltered line. Prust hasn't played with Desharnais, therefore, PRUST AIN'T SHELTERED

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad