News Article: Brandon Pirri: “I have a role on this teamâ€

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
Just to backup what Hawkscap said, we're not all like that.

I was happy when Pirri got traded to you because I thought it would give him a better shot at an NHL career. I always felt Q gave him the shaft - decided he didn't like Pirri and didn't move from that - and because it was obvious Pirri wasn't going to stick in the NHL with the Hawks, it was good they traded him. Pirri is skilled and has good potential...he's at the level where he can play in the NHL and deserves that opportunity.

As far as Hayes goes - I'll repeat what i've consistently said - it's completely within his right to explore free agency. The Hawks are a very hard team to crack (and have a coach who can be like cement once he has an opinion of someone). There's no special pride in playing in the AHL for a top level team...no player aspires to that, they aspire to play in the NHL. Thinking that playing in Rockford (Hawks AHL team) is somehow more honourable than playing in Florida because the Hawks won the cup is arrogance! These players have short careers and the swing between an AHL salary and even the NHL minimum is pretty big - not only that, but time spent in the NHL will impact the pension the player receives.

To make a long story longer, I haven't seen Hayes enough to comment on how good he'll be - but if he decides to come to Florida (or Calgary - or wherever) because he thinks he'll have a better shot at an NHL career then more power to him. I certainly won't suddenly adopt a negative opinion of the guy.

...and just so you know - I thought Pirri's tweets were funny.

Why can't every fan be like you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad