News Article: Brandon Pirri: “I have a role on this teamâ€

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Talked to Brandon after last game about his role w/ the club and just took an overall look at how he's been as a Panther ...

With a post-deadline point total of 12 (6-6-12), Pirri has been producing around the same rate as Matt Moulson (10), Thomas Vanek (14) and Marion Gaborik (11). And unlike the three aforementioned forwards, Pirri has been doing the majority of his damage from the third line.

Nice pickup by DT :)

http://pantherparkway.com/2014/04/07/brandon-pirri-i-have-a-role-on-this-team-2/

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Is he playing C? How does his defensive game look? If he rounds out his game a bit, and can be a threat shift after shift he'll be a killer pick up for you guys.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Is he playing C? How does his defensive game look? If he rounds out his game a bit, and can be a threat shift after shift he'll be a killer pick up for you guys.

His defensive game needs work and Horachek has pointed that out several times. However, given his offensive production, it's been easy to overlook. He has been playing C mostly, but has been on the wing situationally when we've needed to score late in games.

I hope to see him on the wing full time next season, but that won't be addressed till the offseason. He's been quite the spark offensively for this team and the Panthers got him for almost nothing, it's great to see.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
He is yet another awesome DT pickup. Love to see him on wing. He is are panther to go to the slot to score.

keep the Chicago pipeline going please.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
From the games I've seen, he's been pretty good. Always things happening in the offensive zone when his line is out. Better defensively than I expected too.

And dat release, damn.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
From the games I've seen, he's been pretty good. Always things happening in the offensive zone when his line is out. Better defensively than I expected too.

And dat release, damn.

And he actually hits the net with his quick release. What the hell is up with that, he doesn't fit the blueprint.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
i c wut u did there

Not claiming credit, because I got that from a Hawks fan.

I like Pirri, and want him to be a part of this teams future, but not at the expense of Trocheck or Shore. Pirri needs to be converted to a wing, and have linemates who are above average defensively, which is why I think he would do well with Howden and Bjugstad.

OT, but Howden has impressed me a lot since being called up, as he did last year. The biggest difference between his two call ups have been that he is actually converting his chances now. I think he can be a very good two-way winger for us, capable of playing all situations, and with the ability to be a 15-20 goal scorer for us. He has skill offensively, we can all see that, and I think he can reach those type of numbers.

Erick*

I like Shore, but Pirri is definitely the more talented player.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Talked to Brandon after last game about his role w/ the club and just took an overall look at how he's been as a Panther ...

With a post-deadline point total of 12 (6-6-12), Pirri has been producing around the same rate as Matt Moulson (10), Thomas Vanek (14) and Marion Gaborik (11). And unlike the three aforementioned forwards, Pirri has been doing the majority of his damage from the third line.

Nice pickup by DT :)

http://pantherparkway.com/2014/04/07/brandon-pirri-i-have-a-role-on-this-team-2/

And he would probably be at least a third of the price of these players!

Vanek has been consistent through most of his career, so Pirri has a long way to go, but from what I've seen, he looks good.

Also, he seems to be the only one who really knows what to do on the PP. Most of our players pass the puck like it is a hot potato, while he seems composed.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
I like Shore, but Pirri is definitely the more talented player.

Hard to compare the two. Shore is a much more well-rounded player at this point in his career. Shore will be a great PK'er and Pirri will (hopefully) be sniping on the PP ... They both fit as long as Pirri moves to wing (which I hope he does).

Jomo

Apr 8, 2014
It seems that many people just repeat what they hear about Pirri without looking at the data. When you look closer at the data, this guy deserves to be on the first or second line. Consider the more important "Points Per 60 Min" stat instead of PPG:

Bjugstad: 1.77 (First Line) - ranked 201 in NHL
Trochek: 1.10 (Second Line) - ranked 401 in NHL
Shore: 1.48 (Third line) - ranked 287 in NHL
Pirri: 2.32 (Fourth line) - ranked 84 in NHL

Also, people keep saying Pirri's weakness is on defense. But his +/- doesn't show this (currently -1 vs Trochek's -10). I know that +/- doesn't mean everything, but I'd be interested in seeing someone show actual DATA that says his defensive play is weaker than any of the other Panther's Centers.

Here's one more stat which doesn't support Pirri's lack of defense vs Trochek. Pirri's Turnover plus/minus is +8, while Trochek's is +3. Again, I'm not suggesting Pirri is better than any of the other guys defensively, but the data certainly doesn't say he's worse.

Last edited:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
It seems that many people just repeat what they hear about Pirri without looking at the data. When you look closer at the data, this guy deserves to be on the first or second line. Consider the more important "Points Per 60 Min" stat instead of PPG:

Bjugstad: 1.77 (First Line) - ranked 201 in NHL
Trochek: 1.10 (Second Line) - ranked 401 in NHL
Shore: 1.48 (Third line) - ranked 287 in NHL
Pirri: 2.32 (Fourth line) - ranked 84 in NHL

Also, people keep saying Pirri's weakness is on defense. But his +/- doesn't show this (currently -1 vs Trochek's -10). I know that +/- doesn't mean everything, but I'd be interested in seeing someone show actual DATA that says his defensive play is weaker than any of the other Panther's Centers.

Here's one more stat which doesn't support Pirri's lack of defense vs Trochek. Pirri's Turnover plus/minus is +8, while Trochek's is +3. Again, I'm not suggesting Pirri is better than any of the other guys defensively, but the data certainly doesn't say he's worse.

I think a lot of Pirris stats come from his time when he was in Chicago where he was a healthy +.
Saying that, he has impressed since he's been here.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I think a lot of Pirris stats come from his time when he was in Chicago where he was a healthy +.
Saying that, he has impressed since he's been here.
With CHI: 28 games, 6+5=11pts, 6 PIMs, +6.

Here: 18 games, 6+6=12pts, 2 PIMs, -1.

Many Hawks posters have said that coach Q didn't like the way Pirri was sloppy defensively. Can't say I've noticed anything like that so far. :dunno:

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Does lightining strike twice for Tallon? Very early but congrats on getting a potential Patrick Sharp v2. Wishing Pirri well with you guys.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Does lightining strike twice for Tallon? Very early but congrats on getting a potential Patrick Sharp v2. Wishing Pirri well with you guys.

Thank you. We're impressed so far.

On a side note, he's a RFA, so how much do you reckon he will be signed for, and for how long?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Obviously with your team's recent success I shouldn't question anything, but I don't understand...why did they trade Pirri and continue to play a guy like Handzus? Surely Pirri couldn't have been worse than him?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I'll go with a 3 year, 2.25 million a year deal.
He's still a RFA and while he's put up some points, Pirri is still a question mark going into next season.

Anything above 1.5-1.75M per is overpayment by DT. Two-year bridge deal for Pirri to prove himself should be fine.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Obviously with your team's recent success I shouldn't question anything, but I don't understand...why did they trade Pirri and continue to play a guy like Handzus? Surely Pirri couldn't have been worse than him?

Q didnt want to let Pirri develop at center. Didnt like his play at center. Hawks are also in a cup chase. Recently sent top prospect Teravainen to Rockford, who is the supposed heir apparent to the #2C. So basically if you cant step in and be effective immediately, odds are you're not sticking. The Hawks with the current depth have more or less moved past taking projects to develop at the NHL level. 4 or 5 years ago, that was not the case. Clendening may be another example. Big offense, highly suspect on defense. Now Pirri may have been able to play wing with the Hawks and since going over to you guys, it looks like thats the best fit for him but that was not even a consideration as far as playing wing with the Hawks. Also in consideration was his RFA status and basically making room for Teravainen.

As far as Handzus goes, everyone is hoping this his last year here, however for the playoffs he still may be effective. Size and experience matter. This has been the RedWings blueprint. Regular season play, Handzus is done. Playoffs are a different animal.

Hawks are betting on Teravainen for the future #2 center. If he isnt ready by next year, Stan will throw someone in there. Maybe Regin, maybe trade... who knows.
Bottom line is they determined Pirri wouldnt cut it at center.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
The Hawks approach to young kids is from a different world... here they simply get thrown into the fire.

I wonder how much further in development someone like Guddy would be if they hadn't brought him up right away.

sigh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad