News Article: Brandon Pirri: “I have a role on this teamâ€

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
The Hawks approach to young kids is from a different world... here they simply get thrown into the fire.

I wonder how much further in development someone like Guddy would be if they hadn't brought him up right away.

sigh

i'd be more interested in how developed gudbranson would be if he had been healthy for a season

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
The Hawks approach to young kids is from a different world... here they simply get thrown into the fire.

I wonder how much further in development someone like Guddy would be if they hadn't brought him up right away.

sigh
Kane, Toews, and several others got thrown into the fire. Enjoy your situation. Tallon built the Hawks top down starting with the young prospects, vets filling in until some prospect could replace them. Actually several prospects were drafted by other GMs but Tallon was astute enough to keep the ones with real potential. Unfortunately he overpaid and busted the cap. Hawks lost 11 players after the '10 cup team. Several reasons for that. (Elbows up)

Tallon is collecting a lot of young players right now. Theres a learning curve for them for sure but in the mean time, the Panthers will be getting top lotto picks. 26-28 is the age group when they should be most effective.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
gudbranson stayed in the ohl an extra year, he wasn't brought up immediately. and at that point he was ready for the nhl, he just wasn't in a good situation here, being on a terrible team, getting injuries here and there, having jovo, then ahler's, then jovo/olsen as his line mates here.
unless we draft ekblad then gudbranson needs to be on the 3rd with a PROPER linemate and hopefully no injuries or setbacks.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
the real problem with gudbransons development is that he needed time in the AHL to learn the pro game, but with the junior/nhl rules set up the way they are, that couldn't happen until 2 years after he was drafted.

i can't really blame tallon or the panthers for his lack of development. they were stuck in between a rock and a hard place. he was too physically dominant to stay in juniors, but he just wasn't ready for the pro game. he was so effective in juniors because he was a man playing amongst boys....in the NHL, he's not and his lack of hockey IQ/positioning/etc. has been exploited.

homegrizown

Feb 4, 2008
pembroke pines fl
this team needs defense bad, honestly campbell needs to be at a 20-24 minutes a night not 27-30. he has looked slow for the last half of the season and at times uninterested obviously from sucking.

and there's no way we play gudbranson on the 3rd line if jovo doesn't retire. putting him with jovo is just a recipe for him to not progress again.

campbell-kulikov (please learn not to throw the puck anywhere...turnover machine.)
gudbranson-FA
olsen-Jovo(retire please) FA/gilbert/petrovic

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
this team needs defense bad, honestly campbell needs to be at a 20-24 minutes a night not 27-30. he has looked slow for the last half of the season and at times uninterested obviously from sucking.

and there's no way we play gudbranson on the 3rd line if jovo doesn't retire. putting him with jovo is just a recipe for him to not progress again.

campbell-kulikov (please learn not to throw the puck anywhere...turnover machine.)
gudbranson-FA
olsen-Jovo(retire please) FA/gilbert/petrovic

I'm not sure you're in the right thread lol

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
pirri has to (and hopefully will) be put on RW. he could be on a line with bjugstad and huberdeau. or with trocheck on the 3rd line.

homegrizown

Feb 4, 2008
pembroke pines fl
pirri has to (and hopefully will) be put on RW. he could be on a line with bjugstad and huberdeau. or with trocheck on the 3rd line.

i think pirri would be a perfect fit with hubby and jugs. they both are great set up men. obviously jugs has a hell of a shot. but i think his passing is underrated. and pirri's quick release would be great.

if someone could actually finish off some of these great setups i think the confidence of some of the young guys would be boosted tremendously.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
i think pirri would be a perfect fit with hubby and jugs. they both are great set up men. obviously jugs has a hell of a shot. but i think his passing is underrated. and pirri's quick release would be great.

if someone could actually finish off some of these great setups i think the confidence of some of the young guys would be boosted tremendously.

I've already stated this elsewhere, but Hubs and Pirri on the same line would be a little lightweight imo.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Blackhawks board is the worst on HF. Pirri makes a joke to Kevin Hayes and they go off about how they can play together on a terrible organization, how they're just mad that they can't play on the best organization from hockey. Let's just fully ignore every year from 1962-2008 :laugh:

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
Blackhawks board is the worst on HF. Pirri makes a joke to Kevin Hayes and they go off about how they can play together on a terrible organization, how they're just mad that they can't play on the best organization from hockey. Let's just fully ignore every year from 1962-2008 :laugh:

oh my god. Just checked their board. Seemed like first Kayes was a great prospect and now after he said that he's not going to sign with chicago, he's suddenly a ****** prospect who won't make it to the nhl.
**** all these ex-Hawk or soon to be ex-Hawk in Kayes case. Go play for a bottom dweller and get your points while we make the playoffs every year and compete for a Cup. No one wants your whiny ***** on a team like the Hawks anyway.

Also the stuff that they wrote about pirri's tweets :laugh:
Maybe they can go to another cup parade during their Cubs trip, cause the cup sure as **** ain't gonna be in florida any time this decade.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
oh my god. Just checked their board. Seemed like first Kayes was a great prospect and now after he said that he's not going to sign with chicago, he's suddenly a ****** prospect who won't make it to the nhl.

They give me hope that if our team ever becomes successful we'll immediately forget about our 20 years of misery. I mean they had 50 and reading their comments you'd have thought they weren't a laughing stock for half a century, much like the Cubs. Actually I suppose that's 1 century :laugh:

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Wow and I thought we were bitter about Corbin Knight. Those guys are like jilted girlfriends. Of course We'd probably be the same way if he was our prospect. :laugh:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
They give me hope that if our team ever becomes successful we'll immediately forget about our 20 years of misery. I mean they had 50 and reading their comments you'd have thought they weren't a laughing stock for half a century, much like the Cubs. Actually I suppose that's 1 century :laugh:

You make the mistake of assuming that the people on the board were there for the 50 years of misery.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
You make the mistake of assuming that the people on the board were there for the 50 years of misery.

They should still know enough about their franchise's mostly terrible history to not make fun of another team, but whatever. Thanks for Pirri.

P.S. your avatar is strangely hypnotic.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
They should still know enough about their franchise's mostly terrible history to not make fun of another team, but whatever. Thanks for Pirri.

P.S. your avatar is strangely hypnotic.

I've had bad luck with avatar, last year I had Bergy, got injured all year. I change to Mark Hasselhoff and he suck all year and his trade.

Maybe I should have a Blackhawks avatar haha

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Being a Hawks fan. A lot of these new fans never knew what 2000-2008 was like or how to get to the UC.

Personally, Piri and Hayes got the shaft from Q.

Piri is a pure scorer so his D will suffer. Q put him on with Kane and Versteeg at the end. Of course his D is going to look like **** with that line.

Hayes was the big body that the Hawks needed. He scored a ton in Rockford by playing in front of the net. Q never played him there.

I hope both of them do very well with the Panthers.

And for your sake, I hope Tallon learned his lesson on over paying RFAs.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Being a Hawks fan. A lot of these new fans never knew what 2000-2008 was like or how to get to the UC.

Piri is a pure scorer so his D will suffer. Q put him on with Kane and Versteeg at the end. Of course his D is going to look like **** with that line.

Hayes was the big body that the Hawks needed. He scored a ton in Rockford by playing in front of the net. Q never played him there.

Well didn't he have to overpay due to the blunder in almost missing the deadline to retain them?

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Well didn't he have to overpay due to the blunder in almost missing the deadline to retain them?

Yes, but he had a habit of giving big contracts if they having a good year or had a good year.

after or during the 08-09 season
Sharp went from $775k to $3.9 mil (This was a UFA contract)
Buff $668k to $3 mil RFA
Bolland $845k to $3.375 RFA

Tallon did not like to use his leverage to keep cap hits down. If he would have, then the 2010 purge would not have been as deep.

The RFA screw up was never really Tallon's fault but he took the fall. From what I heard, a employee screwed it up. The employee forgot to factor in Canada Day for mail and overnight deliveries. In those years, the Hawks had a really bad habit of sending offers late and it caught up to them.

I am far from being a big Tallon fan but the man was a straight shooter when I had the chance to talk to him a few times at Blackhawk season ticket holder events. Not to many GMs would tell you that former players would rather party than care about the team.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Too bad a vocal minority can ruin it for an otherwise good fanbase. In regards to Tallon, maybe he's overrated but he did more for the Blackhawks than any GM they had in 15 years before him, he's far from a bad GM.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

Just to backup what Hawkscap said, we're not all like that.

I was happy when Pirri got traded to you because I thought it would give him a better shot at an NHL career. I always felt Q gave him the shaft - decided he didn't like Pirri and didn't move from that - and because it was obvious Pirri wasn't going to stick in the NHL with the Hawks, it was good they traded him. Pirri is skilled and has good potential...he's at the level where he can play in the NHL and deserves that opportunity.

As far as Hayes goes - I'll repeat what i've consistently said - it's completely within his right to explore free agency. The Hawks are a very hard team to crack (and have a coach who can be like cement once he has an opinion of someone). There's no special pride in playing in the AHL for a top level team...no player aspires to that, they aspire to play in the NHL. Thinking that playing in Rockford (Hawks AHL team) is somehow more honourable than playing in Florida because the Hawks won the cup is arrogance! These players have short careers and the swing between an AHL salary and even the NHL minimum is pretty big - not only that, but time spent in the NHL will impact the pension the player receives.

To make a long story longer, I haven't seen Hayes enough to comment on how good he'll be - but if he decides to come to Florida (or Calgary - or wherever) because he thinks he'll have a better shot at an NHL career then more power to him. I certainly won't suddenly adopt a negative opinion of the guy.

...and just so you know - I thought Pirri's tweets were funny.

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014
Just to backup what Hawkscap said, we're not all like that.

I was happy when Pirri got traded to you because I thought it would give him a better shot at an NHL career. I always felt Q gave him the shaft - decided he didn't like Pirri and didn't move from that - and because it was obvious Pirri wasn't going to stick in the NHL with the Hawks, it was good they traded him. Pirri is skilled and has good potential...he's at the level where he can play in the NHL and deserves that opportunity.

As far as Hayes goes - I'll repeat what i've consistently said - it's completely within his right to explore free agency. The Hawks are a very hard team to crack (and have a coach who can be like cement once he has an opinion of someone). There's no special pride in playing in the AHL for a top level team...no player aspires to that, they aspire to play in the NHL. Thinking that playing in Rockford (Hawks AHL team) is somehow more honourable than playing in Florida because the Hawks won the cup is arrogance! These players have short careers and the swing between an AHL salary and even the NHL minimum is pretty big - not only that, but time spent in the NHL will impact the pension the player receives.

To make a long story longer, I haven't seen Hayes enough to comment on how good he'll be - but if he decides to come to Florida (or Calgary - or wherever) because he thinks he'll have a better shot at an NHL career then more power to him. I certainly won't suddenly adopt a negative opinion of the guy.

...and just so you know - I thought Pirri's tweets were funny.

You. I like you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad