Confirmed with Link: Brandon Montour re-signs 3 years at 3.5M AAV

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm fine with this tbh, there wasn't much out there. I liked Montour, even though he's not what we need. Maybe we pick up a top 4 defensive-minded D at the deadline. There was literally no other options here. Ryan Murray, that's it, and even he's had injury problems.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
A Gudas - Montour pair on the 3rd pair wouldn't be too bad. Montour is a poor man's Mike Matheson or vice versa.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I'm fine with this tbh, there wasn't much out there. I liked Montour, even though he's not what we need. Maybe we pick up a top 4 defensive-minded D at the deadline. There was literally no other options here. Ryan Murray, that's it, and even he's had injury problems.
I wonder if RM might sign given the Zito connection?

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I love the analytics stuff, but we should always remember that they usually poorly represent the negative influence of bad coaching, mismanagement, issues with motivation, which results in underestimating player's ability (Bennett and probably Montour cases). But I don't think that such issues are too common around the league.

they don't represent them at all.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
A Gudas - Montour pair on the 3rd pair wouldn't be too bad. Montour is a poor man's Mike Matheson or vice versa.

it's funny, i was thinking something very similar. he's currently a less toxic mix of those bad attributes.

i was a bit underwhelmed when i saw the headline. i mean, he was embarrassed defensively on numerous occasions last year. and you're, right - he couldn't finish to save his life.

it's 3 years though and it appears the money is very reasonable. i suppose we can give him a chance.

as i thought about it some more, he was in a bit of a tough position this past season as the guy brought into replace a potential norris candidate. perhaps he felt some pressure to produce. maybe with ek back, he'll relax and find his groove. he really doesn't have to produce all that much to be a successful piece of the puzzle here. he just needs to be steady.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
It's a fair deal in my book, he wasn't gonna be taking a paycut and he hardly increased his salary anyway. I'm OK with this, even though I'm not high on him he did have a decent regular season after being traded here. Hopefully he can find some more momentum going into his first full year with the Panthers. Not really surprised by this deal, he seems to have been forgotten by many but to be honest, he is likely the best we can do at the moment without paying someone stupid money and stupid length. I'm also still sure they can swing a deal maybe for a 4/5 type guy to challenge Montour for a top4 spot. Still got Vatrano and some others like Nutivaara that can still be made tradable. Montour/Forsling pairing maybe? If Forsling can keep up his play and develop further, he can certainly help that pairing defensively also Montour is not as much a liability as Yandle so that is a big plus for the bottom 4 anyway.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
This is the first head-scratcher by Zito. I just don't see the need for bringing Montour back, at any price. He's not the kind of defenseman we need, and honestly didn't really stand out at all after coming over from Buffalo. I'm genuinely surprised. This is the first real deviation from what I've expected going into this offseason.

Edit: If we don't pick up a LHD in the next few days I have to assume that either Gildon or Ludvig might get a few more minutes than expected once the injury bug hits.

Last edited:

Swede93

Sep 14, 2009
I feel like he was stuck playing with yands or Nuti a lot, also 9 games against TB. Tough hand to be dealt when coming to a new team.

he’s super competitive and has some offensive upside. Think he’ll be better than he showed.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
This looks a lot better after seeing the contracts that were handed out throughout the day.

It looks great…

And if you go on CapFriendly and watch how the contract is structured…

We may get a haul for him at the deadline or after paying his bonus… It depends if he rejuvenates his career…

But a top-4 RHD at under 800k salary and only 3.5M AAV that’s just 30 years-old… We could get a first round pick, calling it now !

Montour was the most acceptable move we could make today… No great LHDs on the market, except for my old favorite who got 4 years and a full-NMC… So yeah… Pretty happy today.

Now announce Reinhart and Barkov geez !

Reactions: 5 Hole

radkison

May 14, 2011
Mississippi
It looks great…

And if you go on CapFriendly and watch how the contract is structured…

We may get a haul for him at the deadline or after paying his bonus… It depends if he rejuvenates his career…

But a top-4 RHD at under 800k salary and only 3.5M AAV that’s just 30 years-old… We could get a first round pick, calling it now !

Montour was the most acceptable move we could make today… No great LHDs on the market, except for my old favorite who got 4 years and a full-NMC… So yeah… Pretty happy today.

Now announce Reinhart and Barkov geez !
I don't see us as sellers

We're going to be one heck of a squad next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad