Confirmed with Link: Brandon Montour re-signs 3 years at 3.5M AAV

AK4774

Jul 27, 2021
Overpayment but if he keeps looking good they can trade him in a year for that gaudy offensive RD price tag

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I'm happy with this. I never fully understood why some around here seemed so down on the guy.
I was not a fan of his because of how quick he was to roam.
It was a bad look when we had Gudas constantly going for the kill, Forsling being a 200 ft defenseman, and Yandle.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I’m happy with this. Having a guy of his skill level on the 3rd pairing with Gudas is great depth. We have guys who can skate and contribute on the backend. His offensive numbers have always been solid and is a potential trigger man on the 2nd pp unit. 3.5per for a guy like him is solid. I know we don’t have matheson or Yandle anymore but no need to be hyper critical. He wasn’t bad or anything. And I’m confident he’ll be even better.

our first pairing at the end of the season and in the playoffs was Forsling-Weegar. That’s most likely our fulltime 2nd line. That’s incredible if so. Add to that a bottom pairing of montour-Gudas? Potentially add 1 more D and our D will be looking really solid overall. Even if he is used as a top-4 we’d have weegar-Ekblad and forsling-montour

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Why? He's a 4/5D. Pretty much got what 4/5Ds get. Probably less.
I'd be interested to see how this compares to Savard.

He is not a top 4 D. He is a bottom pair D being paid like top 4 D.

His only good quality is that he can skate. Takes too many chances. Can't pass that well. Didn't finish chances.

Not good playing D in the d zone. Nuutivaara is a the same player but cheaper with a more stable defensive game.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
He is not a top 4 D. He is a bottom pair D being paid like top 4 D.

His only good quality is that he can skate. Takes too many chances. Can't pass that well. Didn't finish chances.

Not good playing D in the d zone. Nuutivaara is a the same player but cheaper with a more stable defensive game.

3.5 is not a top 4 D price for a UFA defenseman.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
Just as a sidenote for this discussion...

I love the analytics stuff, but we should always remember that they usually poorly represent the negative influence of bad coaching, mismanagement, issues with motivation, which results in underestimating player's ability (Bennett and probably Montour cases). But I don't think that such issues are too common around the league.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Never saw much from Montour that I particularly liked. He was pretty meh and at times a bit weak defensively. Had a couple nice plays on offense but again, nothing special from what I saw.

I was kind of hoping the team was going to move on from him but he at least it's not Suter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad