Confirmed with Link: Brandon Montour re-signed, 1yr 3.85m

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
This does scream #TradeMe. Signing an RFA on a one year deal, after he doesn't necessarily come in and light the world on fire, diminishing their value from the 1st and Guhle aspect just sucks. I was excited initially when we acquired Montour. However, he never seemed to find his niche on this roster.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Suddenly looking very good to have his money coming off the books in an offseason where Dahlin, Joker and now maybe Hall need contracts. Not that Hall doesn’t already have a big chunk accounted for anyway with his 8. But still.

Reactions: Team Cozens

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
This is hindsight because they could not have known whether Hall was signing with them or not, but we might need the cap savings we could've gotten by not qualifying Montour.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This is hindsight because they could not have known whether Hall was signing with them or not, but we might need the cap savings we could've gotten by not qualifying Montour.

It’s going to be close. So much for internal cap.

but I think a trade or trades are coming. I don’t think you sign Hall for a year and spend that year trotting out Carter Hutton in net.

Reactions: 5 Minute Major

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
How realistic do you think that is with the current economics of the league?

he doesn’t make that much if you’re one of the people who thinks he’s good. He’s either a fairly paid 40 point minutes eater or an overpaid albatross depending on where you land. Hopefully one of those people grew up to be GM. But you can make the money work by moving it to positions of need. Goalie or a D on the other side. Term is the more important part. His money isn’t a killer this year where I think they’ll make it under the cap. But next year it becomes a bigger problem.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
he doesn’t make that much if you’re one of the people who thinks he’s good. He’s either a fairly paid 40 point minutes eater or an overpaid albatross depending on where you land. Hopefully one of those people grew up to be GM. But you can make the money work by moving it to positions of need. Goalie or a D on the other side. Term is the more important part. His money isn’t a killer this year where I think they’ll make it under the cap. But next year it becomes a bigger problem.

That’s a great line. :laugh:

Yeah Risto’s contract, Okposo’s and possibly Skinners will be issues. Our previous GMs were awesome.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think it is realistic that it could get done if that is what they have to do to work their cap.
I don’t see much interest around the league for Risto’s contract. Hopefully I’m as wrong about that as I was about Hall coming here.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don’t see much interest around the league for Risto’s contract. Hopefully I’m as wrong about that as I was about Hall coming here.
Whoops. I thought your comment was in response to me, thus making Montour the subject. My bad. Yeah, I think Risto could be tough to deal if you want anything decent back for him.

Reactions: joshjull

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Multiple GMs are still paying Jack Johnson to play hockey. I think a suitor for Risto could be found as he’s very much in the same mold...but only if they were actually interested in trading him. I have doubts about that. But after today I have no idea what to think about anything.

On topic, I feel like Montour at $3.8 mil is definitely a moveable asset and the most easy to move of the 3 RD in question.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I think it is realistic that it could get done if that is what they have to do to work their cap.

You are missing his point.

Look at the economics of the league. Very few teams are taking on contracts with cap hits around where Risto is. It's very uncertain what revenues are going to be next year.

Just because Buffalo may willing to dump Risto for a pick does not mean some other team is automatically willing to take on that contract for just a pick. Every team in the league is currently above the floor, so nobody needs it to be compliant.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
You are missing his point.

Look at the economics of the league. Very few teams are taking on contracts with cap hits around where Risto is. It's very uncertain what revenues are going to be next year.

Just because Buffalo may willing to dump Risto for a pick does not mean some other team is automatically willing to take on that contract for just a pick. Every team in the league is currently above the floor, so nobody needs it to be compliant.
You missed the post where I said I thought we were talking about Montour

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Risto is not being traded. Some of you guys need to find a new song to play....

I really don't think Montour is either. I think Mccabe and especially Miller would be better options. Montour seems like a player Ralph would like to have on team.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I really don't think Montour is either. I think Mccabe and especially Miller would be better options. Montour seems like a player Ralph would like to have on team.

Probably can't move Montour, that contract is too big in 2020. The only thing I can see is moving him for a LHD with the same cap hit, to a team with the opposite problem on D and handedness. But I'm not sure a team exists with that need and with that particular asset to offer.

Unfortunately, I think we're looking at our new official LD: Montour.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

I think Montour is clear favourite to be traded TBH.

It's a shame because I think he can be a great player when utilised properly. But it's not going to be in Buffalo.

Reactions: Zman5778

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I think Montour is clear favourite to be traded TBH.

It's a shame because I think he can be a great player when utilised properly. But it's not going to be in Buffalo.

What evidence do you have to think he is the clear favorite? After he got back from injury, Kreuger talked very highly on him. Miller on the other hand was benched.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad