Brandon "Meat & Butter" Sutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
I would rather have Matthias, or Richardson, or santorelli, or bonino.

(I reserve the right to change my mind mid season.)

rights-denied.jpg

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Bonino had borderline elite offensive instincts held back by his speed, IMO. Used properly and properly sheltered, he could have been a fantastic piece for us.

Cody Hodgson was once Steven Stamkos without the skating.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
That is the issue. While I like Sutter more than Bonino, giving up Forsling to get Clendening, just to ship him off to get Sutter is simply moronic. Should have been a straight up trade. Sutter is better, bigger and younger, but Bonino is cheaper. Should have been a 1 for 1 trade.

Sutter has more value than Bonino overall. I'm not opposed to adding Clendening, but the extra pick should've been negotiated better. Regardless, it's a miniscule trade-off, but Sutter is the better player due to size, speed, and can actually shut-down players.

Though, the big benefit from this trade is that it'll allow Horvat to explode offensively especially if lined up with Vrbata all season. Sutter will take all hard match-ups.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Sutter has more value than Bonino overall. I'm not opposed to adding Clendening, but the extra pick should've been negotiated better. Regardless, it's a miniscule trade-off, but Sutter is the better player due to size, speed, and can actually shut-down players.

Though, the big benefit from this trade is that it'll allow Horvat to explode offensively especially if lined up with Vrbata all season. Sutter will take all hard match-ups.

Contracts are important in today's NHL. Crosby > Kopitar, but Kopitar at 5M > Crosby at 15M. Bonino at his contract > Sutter at his, especially after the new contract.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Cody Hodgson was once Steven Stamkos without the skating.
Bonino's also a good defensive player, though. That's the biggest reason Hodgson is seen in such low regard.

I think Bonino's speed issue is comparable to Garrison's speed issue. It holds him back, and it can be an issue in the wrong situations, but it hardly entirely writes him off as a very solid player.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
it's nice that raymond was able to get taller and switch handedness but he looks way slower

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012

quoted to look at later in the season.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Reading this thread I've read something more than once and would like to be shown where these factual evidence to back these statements up.
In what measurable way is Sutter better than Bonino? Seriously I'd like this explained to me.

Is he better at being 6'3? Idk, the 5'11 195lbs guy looked more physically capable out there on a night to night basis while still producing at a Top 6 scoring rate at even strength?
Is it the minuscule face off percentage upgrade? Does that offset the offensive impact towards his linemates in a negative manner? And it's not a minor offset.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning's acquisitions....it's a reverse curse....I fear watching Sbisa and Sutter is going to be watching a dumpster fire all season....not to mention Vey, Miller and Clendening and Bonino....oops I forgot, the latter two guys were traded.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Reading this thread I've read something more than once and would like to be shown where these factual evidence to back these statements up.
In what measurable way is Sutter better than Bonino? Seriously I'd like this explained to me.

Is he better at being 6'3? Idk, the 5'11 195lbs guy looked more physically capable out there on a night to night basis while still producing at a Top 6 scoring rate at even strength?
Is it the minuscule face off percentage upgrade? Does that offset the offensive impact towards his linemates in a negative manner? And it's not a minor offset.

I've been asking that since the trade went down. I have yet to receive a satisfactory explanation.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've been asking that since the trade went down. I have yet to receive a satisfactory explanation.
It's almost like people's frustration over Bonino's bad playoff/speed issues outweighs everything, and allows his replacement to win by default or something. I doubt Sutter would have been much of an upgrade against Calgary anyways.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
If Sutter keeps up this kind of play, I will not be a happy camper. I was okay with the aquisition at first, since I thought he'd be a good fit here. But he seems quite invisible so far.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I guarantee if he was doing well, you'd be the first person saying I told you so.

need to give it some time. If he scores early this year you are going to hear about it. It'll likely be a really nice goal too. Shorthanded or something.

People will blowup the airwaves and mainboards just as they did with Bonino at the beginning of last season.

"did the Canucks win the Sutter trade?" poll coming within the month.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Criticism is not the same thing as dismissal.

Everyone's open to having their mind changed, but there's no reason to be anything but pessimistic so far.

Nobody is writing off Sutter....but if you read the Penguin Boards after the deal was done, they report that the guy wasn't all that physical, was pretty dismal in the face-off circle, and scored most of his goals off the rush and wasn't much a factor down low...so far, although the returns are early, this guy comes pretty much as advertised...yet 'Trader Jim' calls him a 'foundational piece'....oh and by the way he's earning $2.6m more a year than Bonino.:amazed:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Literally completely invisible so far. I'm not sure how he's going to live up to that contract at this point. The next few games need to be a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad