Brandon "Meat & Butter" Sutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I would rather have Matthias, or Richardson, or santorelli, or bonino.

(I reserve the right to change my mind mid season.)

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013

like when you have a fantasy draft and pick sidney 1st overall but jamie benn tops the league?

i know right

Last edited:

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA

the primary point of difference between sutter / matthias / richardson / santorelli / bonino is that only one of those players is starting a 5 year contract extension with an annual cap hit of US$4.375

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
the primary point of difference between sutter / matthias / richardson / santorelli / bonino is that only one of those players is starting a 5 year contract extension with an annual cap hit of US$4.375
Correct. Thus my preference.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
tbh, someone + sutter + hansen would be a pretty likable and watchable third line, as long as that someone isn't prust or dorsett.

I think Virtanen would be a great fit on that line, but we probably want someone like Prust/Dorsett with Virtanen if he goes overboard with the hitting. Someone's going to challenge him and I don't see Hansen or Sutter being able to handle anyone physically.

Both Sutter and Hansen are tunnel-vision players, more or less, so a LW playmaker would make the best fit. Probably Baertschi.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
one of those players is starting a 5 year contract extension with an annual cap hit of US$4.375

Doesn't even start until next year. 6 years total. Full NTC until the last 2 years.

Sbisa, Dorsett, and Sutter are all going to outlive JB here.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Doesn't even start until next year. 6 years total. Full NTC until the last 2 years.

Sbisa, Dorsett, and Sutter are all going to outlive JB here.

could even potentially add prust to that list if benning follows the pattern of not negotiating with agents and offering bloated deals to his 'guys' before they hit free agency

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
tbh, someone + sutter + hansen would be a pretty likable and watchable third line, as long as that someone isn't prust or dorsett.

Burrows - Sutter - Hansen looks real good. But then, so does Burrows - Horvat - Hansen.

Personally, at least to start, I'd rather insulate Bo and Bae a little by playing both with vets, rather than with each other. And I'd like Baertschi to get a bit of time with Vrbata to build some chemistry. Give Horvat an audition with Vrbata in preseason, for sure. But to my mind, pencilling Sutter in between Bae and Vrb out of the gates is the sensible approach.

Now if Higgins is out and Virtanen is in, assuming he doesn't play with the Sedins and Willie doesn't want 2 kids on the same line, it would probably mean Virt to the 4th line, Prust to the third. In that case, I'd rather Prust-Sutter-Hansen. I do want Bo to play with a high IQ offensive player, either Burrows or Vrbata. Higgins to a lesser extent when he's back also works.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
We don't know what the opening game line-up will be, yet. If, for example, Desjardins decides he likes Sedin set-ups on two lines, Sutter's future looks brighter. Since I'd bet against that ever happening, Sutter might still have a breakout year with Baertschi and Vrbata. He hasn't really played on a scoring line, lately, so who knows what will happen?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
like when you have a fantasy draft and pick sidney 1st overall but jamie benn tops the league?

i know right

It's probably a bit more like when you draft Tyler Bozak in the first round and then throw a fit when he doesn't score 85 points.

In any case, let's hope Benning has more foresight than the average poster on here, but so far it looks like the softer Matthias projections are bang on.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
It's probably a bit more like when you draft Tyler Bozak in the first round and then throw a fit when he doesn't score 85 points.

In any case, let's hope Benning has more foresight than the average poster on here, but so far it looks like the softer Matthias projections are bang on.

If Matthias was capable at centre, could match other teams' top centres, won faceoffs and killed penalties, he'd be a pretty solid asset...

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
If Matthias was capable at centre, could match other teams' top centres, won faceoffs and killed penalties, he'd be a pretty solid asset...

We had Bonino for that

I take Bonino+Matthias/Richardson over Sutter alone a hundred times over.

Sedin, Horvat, Bonino, Matthias, Richardson...now that's centre depth

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
We had Bonino for that

I take Bonino+Matthias/Richardson over Sutter alone a hundred times over.

Sedin, Horvat, Bonino, Matthias, Richardson...now that's centre depth

Not really. Either way it stacks up pretty poorly against the top teams in the West.

I think Sutter will prove he's better than Bonino within a few months personally. I don't see him as a 2nd line centre but I think he brings more to the table than Bonino. People have selective memory with Bonino. He was snuffed by big centres, soft in his own zone and did absolutely nothing for long stretches. I'm not saying Sutter is great and this was a smart move, but he is more useful than Nick Bonino.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
People have an equally selective memory about the good things that Bonino does that Sutter lacks. Bonino had borderline elite offensive instincts held back by his speed, IMO. Used properly and properly sheltered, he could have been a fantastic piece for us.

I don't think Sutter is an upgrade, but if Horvat is ready for second line duties (which it looks like he might be), it's a better fit. It doesn't work because Sutter comes close to replacing Bonino, but it might work because Horvat is the ideal replacement/future upgrade on Bonino.

I would have been okay with the trade if it were not for the salary tradeoff in addition to us giving up more. In a vacuum I would take Bonino every time, but with Horvat making a push and no defensive center on the team, it's not too horrible.

If Willie stubbornly plays Sutter as a second liner and Horvat as a 3rd liner, it's all moot, though.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
am i crazy to wonder whether sutter is closer to a rich man's matthias than a poor man's kesler? even a very poor man's kesler?

but yeah, i mourn nothing about bones except for his contract.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Not really. Either way it stacks up pretty poorly against the top teams in the West.

I think Sutter will prove he's better than Bonino within a few months personally. I don't see him as a 2nd line centre but I think he brings more to the table than Bonino. People have selective memory with Bonino. He was snuffed by big centres, soft in his own zone and did absolutely nothing for long stretches. I'm not saying Sutter is great and this was a smart move, but he is more useful than Nick Bonino.

Um, so you think Sedin, Horvat, Sutter, Vey is better depth than Sedin, Horvat, Bonino, Matthias, Richardson?

Or are you saying both suck and we shouldn't care?

Confused.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I don't really like Bonino or Sutter personally. I would have preferred not wasting assets on either and just signing Santorelli or another comparable UFA centre.

What I really don't like about Sutter compared to Bonino though is that we not only traded Bonino but also gave up a defensive prospect that we previously gave up a better defensive prospect for as well as trading down out of the 2nd round for some idiotic reason after Benning spent the whole draft trying to get another 2nd rounder. And on top of it all, we decided to give the new player comparable to Bonino over 3x his salary for a crazy term and threw on a full NTC to boot.

It's just the epitome of doubling down on bad deal after bad deal. And I HATE listening to the media call Sutter gritty when he is anything but. He should just be known as Butters for now on.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Um, so you think Sedin, Horvat, Sutter, Vey is better depth than Sedin, Horvat, Bonino, Matthias, Richardson?

Or are you saying both suck and we shouldn't care?

Confused.

I'm saying neither one gets us anywhere. Matthias wasn't much of a centre anyway and we could end up with someone other than Vey as the 4th line centre. Either way it's not a group that matches up all that well around the league.

To me:

Sedin = Sedin
Horvat = Horvat
Sutter > Bonino
Vey < Richardson

Pretty much a wash from where I sit and if we get a better 4th line centre than Vey, it could actually improve. Either group isn't going anywhere this year.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I don't really like Bonino or Sutter personally. I would have preferred not wasting assets on either and just signing Santorelli or another comparable UFA centre.

What I really don't like about Sutter compared to Bonino though is that we not only traded Bonino but also gave up a defensive prospect that we previously gave up a better defensive prospect for as well as trading down out of the 2nd round for some idiotic reason after Benning spent the whole draft trying to get another 2nd rounder. And on top of it all, we decided to give the new player comparable to Bonino over 3x his salary for a crazy term and threw on a full NTC to boot.

It's just the epitome of doubling down on bad deal after bad deal. And I HATE listening to the media call Sutter gritty when he is anything but. He should just be known as Butters for now on.

That is the issue. While I like Sutter more than Bonino, giving up Forsling to get Clendening, just to ship him off to get Sutter is simply moronic. Should have been a straight up trade. Sutter is better, bigger and younger, but Bonino is cheaper. Should have been a 1 for 1 trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad