Recalled/Assigned: Brandon Manning recalled

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Wishful thinking.

The last time Manning was up with the Flyers, his positioning was odd and rarely got to play more than 13 - 14 minutes a night.
Bourdon was a positionally sound 20min defenseman when healthy.

I guess you missed the part where I said probably not and I was hoping for the best.

Also :laugh: MAB played all of 45 games in the NHL where he avg'd 16min/g so I don't see how you can say he was a 20 min player when healthy, based on what the like two games he did that. Furthermore MAB was hardly consistent even before all the injuries. But just based on your comments I'll assume you are one of the MAB fans who thought he was more then he was so I'll just stop here.

Again I'm not saying Manning will be good cause he never has been more then OK in his pro career I'm just saying he should be given more then just 10 games over 2 yrs, earlier in his career to show what he can do at the next level.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Hopefully this is a good sign that Hextall isn't settling for any old crappy veteran D that is available. No benefit in a Modry, Foster, Kubina type of acquisition

I agree. As I said before, they should be fine rotating their call-ups until Coburn and Amac are ready to return. Ghost may need to sit one game then come back.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
My theory- Tampa has been a very tough team for flyers to play against. Berube might want to go with more seasoned call up and a bigger body for this game. I would not be surprised if Ghost is sitting this one out.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
My theory- Tampa has been a very tough team for flyers to play against. Berube might want to go with more seasoned call up and a bigger body for this game. I would not be surprised if Ghost is sitting this one out.

You need to keep up with Tampa's skating if you want to beat them. Manning to Ghost certainly isn't an advantage in that regard.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

That is exactly his thinking, and the exact thinking why we keep losing to them. You need speed to defend vs the Bolts, we just got bigger and slower, expect the same results.

FIRE THE GOON

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
That is exactly his thinking, and the exact thinking why we keep losing to them. You need speed to defend vs the Bolts, we just got bigger and slower, expect the same results.

FIRE THE GOON

and replace him with who? Terry Murray? I don't like him either but I think unless things really go off the rails, Berube's job will be re-evaluated next summer.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

FIRE THE GOON

Any smart coach would bench Ghost tonight in Tampa. He struggled mightily with the Kings and the Redwings at home.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You need to keep up with Tampa's skating if you want to beat them. Manning to Ghost certainly isn't an advantage in that regard.

What we actually need to do is avoid getting stuck in our own zone and giving the puck away to their collection of great scorers. Ghost and his 36 CF% won't help much with that.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Any smart coach would bench Ghost tonight in Tampa. He struggled mightily with the Kings and the Redwings at home.

He didn't struggle mightily. He made some good plays and he made some poor ones, which is to be expected from a player with less than 10 professional games under his belt. You either deal with it as a coach as part of his developmental curve, or you send him back to the AHL so he can get playing time. You don't scratch him two games into the experiment.

What we actually need to do is avoid getting stuck in our own zone and giving the puck away to their collection of great scorers. Ghost and his 36 CF% won't help much with that.

Strong sample size.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

First 2 games vs the best team and one of the most skilled duos. :laugh: wtf were they expecting.

Benching him for a career average ahl er when our biggest weakness is pmd, come on:amazed:

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

So add an average at best career ahl er. Great idea Craig. :shakehead

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I know Ghost has struggled(and I think we should of expected it) but I am not sure I trust Manning out there tonight either. He really isn't good in either zone.

Gonna be a real treat watching Stamkos vs Manning all night.:handclap:

At least would have a hope with his speed, but good lord Manning and Luke vs Stamkos:cry:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah let's scratch the kid and play his AHL partner who was being carried by said player.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He didn't struggle mightily. He made some good plays and he made some poor ones, which is to be expected from a player with less than 10 professional games under his belt. You either deal with it as a coach as part of his developmental curve, or you send him back to the AHL so he can get playing time. You don't scratch him two games into the experiment.

Strong sample size.

It's not a sample, it's his entire population of NHL career minutes. And they were the softest minutes available. But he played poorly overall.

Ghost is a great prospect who needs time in the AHL to develop.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Wtf would you expect Ghost to do against Tampa in Tampa?

A hell of a lot better than Manning. The only hope we have vs Stamkos/Drouin is too try and keep up. Taking our fastest D out does not help.

It is going to be a feast anytime out vs Manning/Schenn/Gross and Berube is pairing 2 of them together.

Sit him vs Panthers if you must, but this whole I want us to be bigger is a recipe for disaster

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's not a sample, it's his entire population of NHL career minutes. And they were the softest minutes available. But he played poorly overall.

Ghost is a great prospect who needs time in the AHL to develop.

All 24?

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville

Agree with that- he is fast, but very prone for defensive breakdowns. I would rather have a shot blocker/ shot preventer against Tampa.

Also, it's not a certainty that Manning is playing tonight- let's not crucify Berube before the fact. Additionally, I do not think that these decisions are made without GM approval.

Last edited:

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
It would be absolutely ridiculous to bring ghost up and give him little time to adjust and then make him sit in the press box. If they are going to have him scratched just send him down. Not worth his time

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Agree with that- he is fast, but very prone for defensive breakdowns. I would rather have a shot blocker/ shot preventer against Tampa.

Also, it's not a certainty that Manning is playing tonight- let's not crucify Berube before the fact. Additionally, I do not think that these decisions are made without GM approval.

Then you don't want Manning. There really isn't anything he does exceptionally well, even at the AHL level.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
I know the Flyers need depth with all the injuries but Lehigh had 9 PP's last night. I believe it would have been invaluable experience for Ghost to play in that game. They should have went with Manning originally, since he is no longer considered a prospect, and has a few years in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad