Recalled/Assigned: Brandon Manning recalled

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Wonder what this is all about. Did someone else get hurt, or are they just being cautious since they're back on the road?

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Just precautionary. They want a spare for the road trip.

Manning has really dropped in the hierarchy. He wouldn't even be in the fold if Alt was healthy.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Hopefully this is a good sign that Hextall isn't settling for any old crappy veteran D that is available. No benefit in a Modry, Foster, Kubina type of acquisition

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
From what I've watched, Manning has been solid in the AHL.

Gonna be an interesting game in LHV tonight missing 3 of our top defensemen. Just means more ice time for Hagg and Pettersson, and I like watching these guys. Last few games for the Phantoms have been down to the wire, hopefully Laughton, Powe and the gang can keep us in the game!

MadFerIt95*

B1IurXMCEAI9ASC.jpg

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Should call the Great Dane up and send Ghost down so he can get more minutes.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Should call the Great Dane up and send Ghost down so he can get more minutes.

the "Great Dane" is terrible, they're not tanking this season so why would they call him up? The guy is a #6 at the AHL level, he's not even close to good enough for the NHL.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Might be more then just an insurance policy.

One interesting side note to this is that Berube is giving serious consideration to inserting defenseman Brandon Manning for rookie Shayne Gostisbehere against the Lightning.

Manning was called up on Wednesday as an extra defensemen given the Flyers had none going on this trip.

“There’s a chance,” Berube said when asked if Manning will play. “I’ll look at tomorrow and see what is best for that game. He [Manning] has more experience … played more NHL games and a lot more AHL games. More experience.”

Berube stressed he wasn’t unhappy with the two games Gostisbehere has played so far.

“Ghost is a young guy just starting and we want to do what is right for him,” he said.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/when-will-steve-mason-return-flyers-net

Solefool

Jul 2, 2013
See man, this is why calling Ghost up was a mistake. Jerking him around like this is how you end up completely stunting development.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
See man, this is why calling Ghost up was a mistake. Jerking him around like this is how you end up completely stunting development.

Jerking him around like what? Playing him in two games where the team played well and he knows he's not here long term so it won't be a shock when he's sent down?

His time here has been perfectly fine.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Jerking him around like what? Playing him in two games where the team played well and he knows he's not here long term so it won't be a shock when he's sent down?

His time here has been perfectly fine.

Agreed, but sitting him in the press box would be a bit odd, no?

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Whatever Manning is in the AHL - good, solid, ok whatever - he still sucks in the NHL.

He's played all of 10 games in the NHL, over the span of two seasons, years ago. I don't think that's a basis to say he "sucks in the NHL". Now in all likelihood he will struggle based on his play in the AHL but maybe he's like MAB in that he's actually better at the next level. Odds certainly aren't in his favor but to me it's best to expect the worst and hope for the best.

Hopefully if they just want an extra body for practice it's Manning. Keeping Ghost with the team but not playing him would be idiotic. We'll know more by Saturday I suppose (both Phantoms and Flyers have a game that day).

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
He's played all of 10 games in the NHL, over the span of two seasons, years ago. I don't think that's a basis to say he "sucks in the NHL". Now in all likelihood he will struggle based on his play in the AHL but maybe he's like MAB in that he's actually better at the next level. Odds certainly aren't in his favor but to me it's best to expect the worst and hope for the best.

Hopefully if they just want an extra body for practice it's Manning. Keeping Ghost with the team but not playing him would be idiotic. We'll know more by Saturday I suppose (both Phantoms and Flyers have a game that day).

Wishful thinking.

The last time Manning was up with the Flyers, his positioning was odd and rarely got to play more than 13 - 14 minutes a night.
Bourdon was a positionally sound 20min defenseman when healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->