Confirmed with Link: Brandon Kozun traded to Toronto Maple Leafs (for Andrew Crescenzi)

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
I think a few fans had some strange and unrealistic expectations for Kozun. The guy is a few weeks away from turning 24, has never even sniffed the NHL, is a good but not great AHL player and is 5'8, it's just hard for guys that size to make it unless they are extremely talented.

I don't know if Kozun will ever make the big show. The odds are stacked against him. I've gotta root for underdogs with fire in their bellies, though. I respect character and resilience when faced with a great challenge. I'd like to see Weal get a cup of coffee, at least. Rooting for the Rudy guys with talent!

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Since its out there thanks to one idiot, I want to be VERY CLEAR...

I don't, would never, and have never used a Mac. I'm not a moron. Even when I get discounts on many Apple products including Macs, I never ever ever will buy one.

Back to Kozun talk. ;)

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I've seen him play when he was in the juniors. Crescenzi is a character guy with decent skill, the main reason we got him was to be a future fourth liner. Size and character essentially is his game. All the best to him and for you guys.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Since its out there thanks to one idiot, I want to be VERY CLEAR...

I don't, would never, and have never used a Mac. I'm not a moron. Even when I get discounts on many Apple products including Macs, I never ever ever will buy one.

Back to Kozun talk. ;)

To each their own. Even if they enjoy using stone age technology. :D

I've seen him play when he was in the juniors. Crescenzi is a character guy with decent skill, the main reason we got him was to be a future fourth liner. Size and character essentially is his game. All the best to him and for you guys.

Thanks! Hopefully he plays well for the Monarchs.

Captain Mittens*

Stuck between Frattinizer or RaggaMuffins or LW Now. I figure if I keep picking players DL trades then I can slowly drive this franchise to the finals.

You should use QuickBrownFox. We can make jokes about you jumping over lazy dogs

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I don't think Kozun was ever gonna make the Kings so I don't mind the trade if Cresche... Creshy.. Crezhn... uhh, the new guy, brings something to the table. Seems a bit light in the PIM area for a gritty 4th liner, but if he's good on the draw and a decent penalty killer that at least fills a role. Hopefully he gives me a reason to learn how to spell his damn name, however I doubt he beats out Andreoff as top 4th line C prospect... or does Andy play LW?

A bit sad to lose a prominent player on a contending AHL team though...

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I don't like it. Would like to have seen Kozun get a cup of coffee with LA before writing him off.

Guess there is a reason I am not a gm tho.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Not a whole lot you can say. Kozun wasn't going anywhere with us and will always be slighted because of his size despite his high skill level. This guy fits our MO, whether we like it or not. He has size, character, and is very defensively aware. The asset got younger and has a higher chance of playing with us in the future regardless if that chance is very slim. Just have to trust Dean's judgement on this one. Obviously Kozun didn't have much value and we were going to lose him anyway.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I find it peculiar that this trade occurs the same day the Kings called Toffoli up. My guess is that Kozun's camp may have requested a move in order for him to get a better opportunity as it was evident he would never be called up or be considered an option to earn a spot on their pro roster. This was likely done to do Kozun a favor.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I find it peculiar that this trade occurs the same day the Kings called Toffoli up. My guess is that Kozun's camp may have requested a move in order for him to get a better opportunity as it was evident he would never be called up or be considered an option to earn a spot on their pro roster. This was likely done to do Kozun a favor.

This has somewhat been something I've mentioned from the get go but I have to disagree with you a bit.

In talking to Kozun, he approached hockey as a business. He understood the business side of it and that you really just have to be patient and earn your shot. He didn't seem upset or bitter ever about it. I directly asked him if it was tough not getting a shot after four years of putting up points and the sense I got was that he understands the game. All he could do is play his game and let the pieces fall in place.

To me, I see this as a patented Dean move. Dean LOVES loyalty. You talk about size and grit but I think he might love loyalty more. Kozun was nothing but loyal in his time. He was a soldier. Shut up and did his job. To me, this was a reward to Kozun to go to a place where yes, it will still be a challenge to make the NHL, but he likely has a better shot at it.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
The amount of digging I had to do to find out that Crescenzi attended 2010 dev camp in LA is a joke.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
That's why you're our go-to Manch guy! :nod:

Yes, Coach Spott mentioned in the video interview linked above that it came down to the Kings and the Maple Leafs for Crescenzi's family to decide to pursue after they both expressed interest in Andrew.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Kozun settling in well with the Toronto Marlies...three-point night and the first star! Brandon Kozun gets the first goal as well as the game-winning goal in overtime. :handclap: 4-3 win! (With Kozun's night tonight, Scrivens's stunner the other night, and the glimpse of Thomas Hickey in NHL Revealed, it's been a good week for Kings alumni.)

ETA: According to the Toronto board, that's 5 points in 5 games for Kozun.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad