Player Discussion Brandon Davidson

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Just because the Draft isn't consider very good, doesn't mean you give away assets related to it just 'cause.

Yeah St Louis should have just dumped the 3rd rounder they had in the last bad draft year (2012). Might have picked up a useful 4th liner instead of that bum Parayko they ended up picking :laugh:

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
No idea how reliable Matheson is but from watching practice today, he tweeted out that it looks like Russell will be back in vs TB but partnered up with Gryba with Davidson coming out. Bizarre.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
No idea how reliable Matheson is but from watching practice today, he tweeted out that it looks like Russell will be back in vs TB but partnered up with Gryba with Davidson coming out. Bizarre.
Not that crazy. Davidson has had a lot of bad games this year.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Because Gryba sucks and when you consider Russell has played on the right side most of the year, it would make more sense to have him slide in for Gryba than for Davidson.

Its going to come down to Davidson, Benning and Gryba all rotating for the rest of the year in the 6 hole as soon as Nurse comes back.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Thats a tad weird to take out Davidson who is coming off a stretch of games where hes looked better each game. Hes a hot hand right now. Russell has missed some games and just before he was injured wasnt looking like his former self. Id be more than ok with swapping Davidson with Russell if we did it when Davidson had a bad game

In addition even a weirder move if you are trying to showcase Davidson for a trade. No better way to kill value then to take him out during a good stretch of games, and also enforce it in another GMs mind hes a #7 D

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Yeah, I would not have guessed that Davidson would come out of the lineup before Gryba. The right side may be a factor on why Russell's offensive game has dried up but with Nurse returning soon, I don't understand switching him over now. You'd think our depth on the right side would need him there.

Sounds like Benning is keeping his spot with Sekera in the top 4 for the meantime which is a nice opportunity for him to continue to grow his role with our team.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Gryba made a great play last game pretty much the game changer when he drew the instigator on that big hit. We ended up scoring on that pp it was the single biggest turning point in the game.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Gryba made a great play last game pretty much the game changer when he drew the instigator on that big hit. We ended up scoring on that pp it was the single biggest turning point in the game.

That was a nice sequence and he has laid some big hits the past few games. But leaves a lot to be desired. Pretty soon his penalties are going to cost us an important game. Davidson was able to contain and shut down Kane. He succeeds against fast teams. gryba i sthe opposite, best against bigger slower teams. Our next 3 games are against smaller faster teams which are ideally suited for Davidson, not Gryba

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That was a nice sequence and he has laid some big hits the past few games. But leaves a lot to be desired. Pretty soon his penalties are going to cost us an important game

No they won't lol. To try to blame entire games on one play is disingenuous and looks like confirmation bias if you're just waiting for two seasons to point it out happening one time.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
No they won't lol. To try to blame entire games on one play is disingenuous and looks like confirmation bias if you're just waiting for two seasons to point it out happening one time.

Well the above post did credit a big part of the win to his insigaotr penalty. The Oilers have been involved in the most 1 goal games in the league. So 1 goal on one penalty is huge, it can cost a win

Gryba also has a number of other issues that would make it easy to make him the #7 D. All of which have been discussed ad nuasuem for 2 years (bad skating, no offensive ability, poor possession player)

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Gryba in over Davidson against a fast team like Tampa would be a huge mistake. Gryba will get walked wide at least twice for quality scoring chances I guarantee it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Gryba in over Davidson against a fast team like Tampa would be a huge mistake. Gryba will get walked wide at least twice for quality scoring chances I guarantee it.

I dont see any upside to it, only potential downside. Gryba and Russell (coming back from injury) on a bottom pairing have the potential to get absolutely torched by Drouin. On the road teams can line match them and make this happen

I dunno, I am not the coach and I trust TM and Chiarelli. Just seems like after the Tampa game well be swapping Gryba out after probably a poor game and a bad goal against. I cant see the future but I can make a bet on what I think is more likely to happen

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

An agile defender like Davidson in against TB makes sense, as does Gryba in against a bigger group of forwards the next night in FLA. It does seem like an odd choice.

Might we be shopping Russell instead of Davidson? Also, Davidson's name was linked to TB a week or two ago so you would think the Oilers would want them to get a good look at him, especially with him playing well of late.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
An agile defender like Davidson in against TB makes sense, as does Gryba in against a bigger group of forwards the next night in FLA. It does seem like an odd choice.

Might we be shopping Russell instead of Davidson? Also, Davidson's name was linked to TB a week or two ago so you would think the Oilers would want them to get a good look at him, especially with him playing well of late.

Another wrinkle. Makes little sense. Unless they are sitting him for an upcoming trade to avoid injury

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Another wrinkle. Makes little sense. Unless they are sitting him for an upcoming trade to avoid injury

When Nurse comes back something might happen. Can we keep 8 defensemen on the roster? I'd like to know who would need to go through waivers at this point. With Pakarinen healthy it makes things a bit more crowded, but I guess Pouliot is on IR now.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
So I've been reading this thread for the past few pages and I'm still not sure if I should be excited for Davidson as a Habs fan. However, the ones who like him really seem to like him, and the ones who don't simply say that he's decent but nothing special.

I've seen a lot of Oilers fans in the Trade Rumous and Free Agent board dismissing him as an expendable player, so I'm still not sure what to think. It's obvious that his injury has hampered him but I don't see any consensus about him among Oiler fans.

So, can any of you folks give a short scouting report on Brandon Davidson?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
So I've been reading this thread for the past few pages and I'm still not sure if I should be excited for Davidson as a Habs fan. However, the ones who like him really seem to like him, and the ones who don't simply say that he's decent but nothing special.

I've seen a lot of Oilers fans in the Trade Rumous and Free Agent board dismissing him as an expendable player, so I'm still not sure what to think. It's obvious that his injury has hampered him but I don't see any consensus about him among Oiler fans.

So, can any of you folks give a short scouting report on Brandon Davidson?

Low event player, with very average speed(to slow for me). We had to many left shots, otherwise he would be a #6.

Wish Davidson the best.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I second many, with all the good luck to Brandon Davidson coming back from everything he did to make it to the NHL, I hope he has a long successful career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad