Player Discussion Brandon Davidson

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
If the Oilers trade Davidson it better not be for a 2nd round pick or similar. It needs to be for a forward who can contribute on the 2nd/3rd line on a meaningful way with term on their contract.

With the price of top 4 defensemen through the roof and Davidson looking like a very solid #4, I will be extremely pissed if they deal him for a pick.

You have to think if any deal has been agreed upon regarding Davidson it would happen after Russell and Nurse are activated. Would Gryba need to clear waivers again? I could see him being plucked this time as playoff teams are looking for depth and I bet Chia wants him for that purpose too. Maybe he'll come down with a mysterious upper body injury.

package Nuge with him? maybe get something better than a pick?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
package Nuge with him? maybe get something better than a pick?

It would have to be a shutdown RHC I would think. Doing that for a defenseman puts you in the same position of having to go 4-4 in the expansion draft.

If Boston falls off the pace in the East would they want to get a bit younger?

RNH, Davidson, 1st for Bergeron would make the Oilers a legit cup threat IMO.

Oil Dude

Jan 10, 2010
Alberta
It would have to be a shutdown RHC I would think. Doing that for a defenseman puts you in the same position of having to go 4-4 in the expansion draft.

That is a lot to give up for a guy that honestly isn't that much better than RNH at this point in time.
No thank you.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Davidson getting back to how he was playing last year. He is a force man. So good defensively.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That is a lot to give up for a guy that honestly isn't that much better than RNH at this point in time.
No thank you.

Wait, you're talking about Patrice Bergeron? That Bruins hang up the phone laughing if that's the proposal for him. He's much MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Nuge at any point in time.

Anyway, back to Davidson. He's a solid, reliable guy to have on the bottom pairing of a good team and can perhaps round out into a top 4 guy but with the Oilers depth now, it's not much of a loss if he get picked up by Vegas. Hurts the depth but he's not top 6 on the Oilers when they are healthy unless you consider him better than Nurse long term. The emergence of Benning has rendered Davidson expendable.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Some people are giving away a first-round pick like it's a bag of chips.

I would think we should be one of the most aggressive buyers at the deadline. For contenders, buying a rental is just adding luxury and depth. For us, we have the chance to address core problems with the team, stuff that the contenders have that we dont.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

Bergeron may have entered decline. It's a steep price. Maybe without 1st you do it, but otherwise, ride with RNH and Davidson.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
We have to figure out a way to keep Davy. Guy is a beast.

I'd like to keep him on the team too but there way too many lefties on D

-Klefbom
-Sekera
-Russell
-Nurse
-Oesterle
-Reinhart

Compared to the right side:
-Larsson
-Benning
-Fayne

It's best to move him while he has value (I'm assuming he has value) for a rightie or some scoring depth.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I'd like to keep him on the team too but there way too many lefties on D

-Klefbom
-Sekera
-Russell
-Nurse
-Oesterle
-Reinhart

Compared to the right side:
-Larsson
-Benning
-Fayne

It's best to move him while he has value (I'm assuming he has value) for a rightie or some scoring depth.

I think if the deal is there, they have to make it. Otherwise, they will simply lose him. The forward they can easily protect. In the meantime, they have Nurse, Benning, Gryba, Fayne, Oesterle. Maybe they will trade for a rental too.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Bingo.......nice 4/5 dman but he'll be 26 this summer and upside is limited. Only place he's a top pair dman is the AHL.

So he will be entering his prime years...
Davidson is a decent NHLer but if we lose him to expansion so be it..
He is far from a core player on the team

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Honestly, I'd rather keep him for late season/playoff depth and lose him to Vegas than deal him for a pick.

If he gets moved, it should be for a forward or a young, expansion-protected D.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Honestly, I'd rather keep him for late season/playoff depth and lose him to Vegas than deal him for a pick.

If he gets moved, it should be for a forward or a young, expansion-protected D.

I agree to not moving him for a pick. If he's part of a deal that brings us the right forward, or just in general make us better for the playoff push, then lets do it!

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Id keep him for a playoff run as well. Even if it means losing him to LV right after and not getting anything for him. Id also move him for a 3c prior to the TDL. Whatever team gets him is going to be over the moon about him

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Still not sure Las Vegas takes him. They're gonna have tons of decent defensemen to choose from, I'm not convinced they take one that has one point so far this season. I don't think its unreasonable that they'd take Reinhart over him.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Still not sure Las Vegas takes him. They're gonna have tons of decent defensemen to choose from, I'm not convinced they take one that has one point so far this season. I don't think its unreasonable that they'd take Reinhart over him.

Id be doing backflips if they did. IMO I just dont see Reinhart as a viable NHL option. Luke Schenn is his likely upside. Maybe he surprises me, but poor skaters have a tough time in todays NHL

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
What would the Oilers give up to the LV Golden Knights to get them to take Benoit Pouliot? If we really want to keep Davidson, I think we'll have to make a deal in order to keep him if management leaves him exposed.

Picks, prospects, what would we pay to keep Brandon Davidson?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
What would the Oilers give up to the LV Golden Knights to get them to take Benoit Pouliot? If we really want to keep Davidson, I think we'll have to make a deal in order to keep him if management leaves him exposed.

Picks, prospects, what would we pay to keep Brandon Davidson?

With the way Pouliot is playing, ALOT. He stinks. I really hope he excels in the playoffs and Vegas takes him because of that hype. McPhee has said he wants a fast paced, skilled offence and Pouliot at his best can play in that type of role.

Itd probably take our 1st or 2018 2nd depending on how well Davidson continues to play + if Poo keeps stinking it up. Could be as low as a 4th round pick if Pouliot steps up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad