Player Discussion Brandon Carlo II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The Backes mistake prevented Sweeney from signing one or both of these guys long term which is unfortunate, but these are solid bridge deals. The team is set up well to contend the next few seasons and cap space will come up at the right time.

It's a blessing. Let them prove themselves and you save some coin. Some were ready to dole out 12 mil for these two this season and they come in for the next two at under 8.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The Backes mistake prevented Sweeney from signing one or both of these guys long term which is unfortunate, but these are solid bridge deals. The team is set up well to contend the next few seasons and cap space will come up at the right time.

You think Sweeney and Co would just sit on the $6 million in cap space for 3 years? Most if not all of that $6 million would have been used every year.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
You think Sweeney and Co would just sit on the $6 million in cap space for 3 years? Most if not all of that $6 million would have been used every year.

No but I would make the argument that space could have been used more appropriately on shorter term deals, so they would have had it this off-season to lock up at least McAvoy long term, if not both guys.

These are still good bridge deals and the team is set up well so it's not a massive problem, but when you are aiming to be a cup contending team a mistake like that is amplified.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
2.85 seems fair for both sides. Wouldn't call it a steal like McAvoy's deal, but it works well for the Bruins.

Reactions: bbfan419 and lopey

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Tend to agree. Now the UFA negotiations...eh

I mean outside of Backes, Beleskey and Hayes, what bad signings has Sweeney had? Even on these are they really that bad?

Backes @ $6 million - honestly it was market value at the time of the deal. No one expected him to fall off a cliff

Beleskey @ $3.8 million - maybe the worst of the 3 signings IMO, but I also wasn't a fan from the start. Bels did have a solid first year with nearly 40 points, but after that he just fell off

Hayes @ $2 million - Was just above 3% of the teams cap. Big young PWF that just couldn't handle playing in Boston, not sure Sweeney & Co could anticipate him choking so hard for his hometown team.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
McAvoy & Carlo = $7.75 million cap hit

Trouba = $8 million cap hit
this is kind of a nonsense 'apples to oranges' comparison. Trouba is 25 and that's his 3rd contract. He signed a similar 2x3 bridge deal for his 2nd contract. You best believe Charlie is getting a similar 3rd deal when the time comes.

edit: my bad, that's actually Trouba's 4th contract, forgot about his 1 year deal before this one. just reinforces the point that there's really no comparison here.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
No but I would make the argument that space could have been used more appropriately on shorter term deals, so they would have had it this off-season to lock up at least McAvoy long term, if not both guys.

These are still good bridge deals and the team is set up well so it's not a massive problem, but when you are aiming to be a cup contending team a mistake like that is amplified.

Just because it could, doesn't mean it would have been. With an extra $6 million a year, who knows what they would have done. For all we know they sign someone else that deemed a bad contract and we're still having this discussion.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
DS got roped into one hit wonders with excellent playoff performances from MB and DB the year we signed them.
MB had a 22 goal season with the Ducks and 8 goals in 16 playoff games before we signed him. It looked good on paper!
Same with DB, who had a 14 point in 20 game playoff and played awesome down the middle for the Blues.
However, the warning sign should have been his age and the downward trend on PPG.
I think DS learned from this, do not give guys large contracts with term for 40 point players in their early thirties.
I am very happy with Carlo and McAvoy signings, great job DS!
Lets hope we can find some secondary scoring this year and DK and PB stay healthy.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
DS got roped into one hit wonders with excellent playoff performances from MB and DB the year we signed them.
MB had a 22 goal season with the Ducks and 8 goals in 16 playoff games before we signed him. It looked good on paper!
Same with DB, who had a 14 point in 20 game playoff and played awesome down the middle for the Blues.
However, the warning sign should have been his age and the downward trend on PPG.
I think DS learned from this, do not give guys large contracts with term for 40 point players in their early thirties.
Lets hope we can find some secondary scoring this year and DK and PB stay healthy.

Beleskey's first year was probably the best. Backes was OK his first year but never close to 6 mil Beleskey earned his contract for a year. And then he got hurt, got fat, lost his confidence, and wasn't an NHLer.

I think one way or another we will be rid of Backes 12 months from now. As long as he is gone next summer and we can push our chips in and add we are in good shape.

Its time to get some extensions in. We need to give Gryz a 1 year extension or else next summer hes only taking a deal that doesn't expose him to Vegas. And I think Krug you have to make the decision now. I don't want to give him extra years to keep him away from UFA. JDB should be easy to come to some agreement with.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Backes was a consistent player for years with the Blues, far from a "one hit wonder", Beleskey however I agree with and had that one solid year prior to him being a UFA and I loved him in year 1 as a Bruin, just never continued, would have had 0 issues with the deal had he continued his solid play he displayed year 1

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I mean outside of Backes, Beleskey and Hayes, what bad signings has Sweeney had? Even on these are they really that bad?

Backes @ $6 million - honestly it was market value at the time of the deal. No one expected him to fall off a cliff

Beleskey @ $3.8 million - maybe the worst of the 3 signings IMO, but I also wasn't a fan from the start. Bels did have a solid first year with nearly 40 points, but after that he just fell off

Hayes @ $2 million - Was just above 3% of the teams cap. Big young PWF that just couldn't handle playing in Boston, not sure Sweeney & Co could anticipate him choking so hard for his hometown team.

That's a little like "Other than the end, how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln?"

I like Sweeney enough that we don't need ot go back through these individually. Safe to say that with regard to Backes "No one expected him to fall off a cliff" is not at all accurate. He was descending that cliff before we signed him, and many of us hated that deal instantly based on the changing style in the league and his clear dropoff from prior years.

But it's spilled milk at this point. The signing sucked, we all know it, it's still hurting us, but Sweeney is doing a very good job otherwise. Nobody is perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spooner st

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That's a little like "Other than the end, how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln?"

I like Sweeney enough that we don't need ot go back through these individually. Safe to say that with regard to Backes "No one expected him to fall off a cliff" is not at all accurately. He was descending that cliff before we signed him, and many of us hated that deal instantly based on the changing style in the league and his clear dropoff from prior years.

But it's spilled milk at this point. The signing sucked, we all know it, it's still hurting us, but Sweeney is doing a very good job otherwise. Nobody is perfect.

I was one of the few that was, I think cautiously optimistic with DB, I was definitely concerned with the term, the $$ a bit uncomfortable for my liking but having watched DB in the playoff run for the Blues prior to him becoming a free agent, I thought he was, hands down, the most consistent Blues player and thought after a period of time where he had the chance to assimilate to Boston he`d be a very solid addition. Injuries/health just always seemed to sidetrack him and it`s just been a notch above disastrous as far as on ice contributions.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
giphy.gif

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
This is great news and the term keeps him at RFA and not UFA at the end of the deal same as CM. Next year we also have Beleskey and Seidenberg deals finally over with as well to give us more cap space. I think at least one of Miller or Moore are moved at some point this year and who knows maybe even Backes finds a new home at the TDL without giving up any top assets.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This is great news and the term keeps him at RFA and not UFA at the end of the deal same as CM. Next year we also have Beleskey and Seidenberg deals finally over with as well to give us more cap space. I think at least one of Miller or Moore are moved at some point this year and who knows maybe even Backes finds a new home at the TDL without giving up any top assets.

feel bad for both Miller and Moore, just seemed like Moore has never caught his footing in Boston and Miller just can`t stay healthy. I don`t think either are going to be tough to move, might not be for much of a return though, teams looking to add depth may be interested but before that happens, one or both HAVE to get on the ice and play

Reactions: bbfan419

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
feel bad for both Miller and Moore, just seemed like Moore has never caught his footing in Boston and Miller just can`t stay healthy. I don`t think either are going to be tough to move, might not be for much of a return though, teams looking to add depth may be interested but before that happens, one or both HAVE to get on the ice and play
Yes I agree I have nothing against either player and they play their roles well, but it is a numbers game for them now and if the Bruins can free up some cap space and get a pick or two from it they will trade them in the right deals. Too bad though as they are good bottom pairing D. No doubt some team or teams will be interested as there are always teams looking to add veteran D for cheap $$.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yes I agree I have nothing against either player and they play their roles well, but it is a numbers game for them now and if the Bruins can free up some cap space and get a pick or two from it they will trade them in the right deals. Too bad though as they are good bottom pairing D. No doubt some team or teams will be interested as there are always teams looking to add veteran D for cheap $$.

I suspect Sweeney agrees but again, until either one or both gets on the ice and can exhibit to other teams that they can stay healthy

Reactions: bbfan419
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad