Trade: Brandin Cooks and a fourth-round pick to LA Rams for the 23rd overall pick in 2018 and 6th rounder

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I'm not sure Cooks puts them over the top enough to be worth a first, especially when they didn't have one last year. Plus isn't he a UFA after the season? Rams really going all in for 2018.

Belichick wins yet another trade.

I don't think it really changes anything tbh.

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
Pats essentially traded their 2016 32nd pick for the 2018 23rd pick. All while getting a rental out of Cooks.

People dream of their favorite teams being operated like the Pats.... I can’t blame them lol.

Reactions: Voight

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Rams are either going to be incredible, or they're going to implode with all those big egos in the room.

Cooks' stats hide the reality that he's not a #1 WR and he's going to end up getting paid like one at some point, and the team that does so is going to regret it pretty quickly.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Guess the price for OBJ was too high.

Doesn’t matter though with that defence and Gurley. Goff would really have to f*** up to not succeed.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
32nd 2017 vs one year of Cooks (1000+ yds, 7 TDs) and 23rd 2018 + 8.5M of 2018 cap space.

What's not to like from the Pats point of view?

Still have Gronk, White, Edelman, Mitchell and Hogan as playmakers. Dorsett and Britt could be nice 6th and 7th option.

Pats now have 4 picks in the first two rounds. Enough to solidify the D and add depth.

Good trade.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
jimmy g's numbers last year would have had him on pace 22 tds and 16 ints for a full season
and that's against a couple of bad teams whose seasons were over and a couple more resting players for the playoffs
he still has a lot to prove

Coming in cold and learning a new scheme on a new team on the fly. The 49ers were a bad team but Garoppolo elevated them. Which is what upper tier QB's do.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Guess the price for OBJ was too high.

Doesn’t matter though with that defence and Gurley. Goff would really have to **** up to not succeed.

Wrong. If Goff just doesn't make mistakes, The Rams lose. Goff has to make plays outside of his comfort zone to take the rams to the next level. He hasn't shown the ability to do that. McVay can only do so much. We saw it last year with Jacksonville. Your quarterback has to make plays in crunch time or it doesn't matter how good your team is.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The media seems to really be pushing that the Patriots will be fine on offense, but there's a breaking point eventually. Between Cooks & Lewis, they've lost two of their best playmakers along with some important guys on the OL.

I don't know - their offense looks slower and more reliant on injury-prone guys than ever. It wouldn't surprise me if the Pats use these extra picks to add a ton of youth and speed within the first two days of the draft.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
The media seems to really be pushing that the Patriots will be fine on offense, but there's a breaking point eventually. Between Cooks & Lewis, they've lost two of their best playmakers along with some important guys on the OL.

I don't know - their offense looks slower and more reliant on injury-prone guys than ever. It wouldn't surprise me if the Pats use these extra picks to add a ton of youth and speed within the first two days of the draft.

They should invest in the O-line.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016

They are adding Edelman and Mitchell though who they are high on. Lewis is a loss, but was injury prone himself and had to have his snaps limited like Amendola to keep him healthy all season. He was also redundant with Burkehead and White who all have the same skillset

My guess is they will use one of their 1st rd picks on a tackle that can slot in immediately on the o line.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
They are adding Edelman and Mitchell though who they are high on. Lewis is a loss, but was injury prone himself and had to have his snaps limited like Amendola to keep him healthy all season. He was also redundant with Burkehead and White who all have the same skillset

My guess is they will use one of their 1st rd picks on a tackle that can slot in immediately on the o line.

Adding two guys returning from major injuries shouldn't really be seen as a positive.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Adding two guys returning from major injuries shouldn't really be seen as a positive.

Yeah, hard to know where Edelman will be at though I am optimistic he will be alright. I don't know how you can have any expectations for Mitchell at this point, the guy came into the league with injury issues and hasn't been able to escape them.

Calling Lewis "redundant" because of Burkhead and White is a bit much as both are inferior players. They're fine in their role, but I think as of now the Pats have downgraded on their OL, WR, RB. Their only offensive positions of stability are a 40 year old QB & a TE surrounded by rumors of retirement, so that has to be a bit scary.

I agree they will probably use a 1st on their OL. I like the 2nd round WR depth in the draft class, so maybe that's a good spot to grab someone.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

This seems like a big mistake when you don't even know how the guy is going to fit into your offense. His run-after-catch is limited, he doesn't block very well and I haven't seen him break a tackle his entire career. He's good at what he does and is tough in his own way, but he's not an $8 million WR.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well that makes zero sense..
In football, it is not easy to return to form after a serious injury. Especially once you hit 30.

Edelman is 31, going on 32 in May. Coming off an acl. Quick slot receiver who needs to be able to plant and then Change directions quickly.

Nelson tore his acl like 3 seasons ago and as a 10 year veteran lik Edelman, he got released.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
This seems like a big mistake when you don't even know how the guy is going to fit into your offense. His run-after-catch is limited, he doesn't block very well and I haven't seen him break a tackle his entire career. He's good at what he does and is tough in his own way, but he's not an $8 million WR.

He will fit. McVay is going to use him as he used Jackson and Watkins. Goff is a reluctant and lousy vertical passer though which hurts Cooks.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Well he's going to get way more than 8 million a year anyway, his 8.5 this year will look like a bargain. Probably 12-14 million long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad