Trade: Brandin Cooks and a fourth-round pick to LA Rams for the 23rd overall pick in 2018 and 6th rounder

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Well he's going to get way more than 8 million a year anyway, his 8.5 this year will look like a bargain. Probably 12-14 million long-term.

Yeah, I know. That's why I said earlier, somebody is going to pay him like a #1 WR and they're going to regret it. He's just not that guy.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Guess the price for OBJ was too high.

Doesn’t matter though with that defence and Gurley. Goff would really have to **** up to not succeed.

It had to do more with salary. OBJ is going to cost you a solid 6-8 million more per year than Cooks and it would be tough to fit him, Gurley and Goff in one room.

I knew the trade was based on money. No shot Belichick was going to pay him 10 million+ a year.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
In football, it is not easy to return to form after a serious injury. Especially once you hit 30.

Edelman is 31, going on 32 in May. Coming off an acl. Quick slot receiver who needs to be able to plant and then Change directions quickly.

Nelson tore his acl like 3 seasons ago and as a 10 year veteran lik Edelman, he got released.

If you want to say expectations should be tempered, then fine (though the fact that he did his ACL so early in the pre season should help him. Once the season starts he'll be a year plus removed and by the time the playoffs start he'll be a year and half removed from the injury). But I dont see how adding Edelman back to this team should be perceived as a negative.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If you want to say expectations should be tempered, then fine (though the fact that he did his ACL so early in the pre season should help him. Once the season starts he'll be a year plus removed and by the time the playoffs start he'll be a year and half removed from the injury). But I dont see how adding Edelman back to this team should be perceived as a negative.
Not a negative, but definitely temper d expectations.

Any tear for a 30 year old is serious, especially for the skilled positions.

A fraction of a second is huge. Difference between a contested catch vs uncontested.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Cooks has been just awful this year, plus he's aggd concussion issues.

Wonder if the Rams cut bait; after this trade he signed a 5 year/80 M deal with 20 guaranteed.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Could be tricky to cut him this offseason. If my math is right:

- Cut him before 6/1 and it's a $21.8m dead cap hit.
- Cut him after 6/1 to spread the hit across two years, problem is that his 2020 salary guarantees on 3/20/20, meaning the dead cap total would be $29.8m over two years.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Doesn’t help that Goff has regressed

I don’t see him being cut quite yet for the reasons outlined in the post above

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Could be tricky to cut him this offseason. If my math is right:

- Cut him before 6/1 and it's a $21.8m dead cap hit.
- Cut him after 6/1 to spread the hit across two years, problem is that his 2020 salary guarantees on 3/20/20, meaning the dead cap total would be $29.8m over two years.

So no chance they do that. They have Goff's new massive salary, plus they will have to break the bank for Ramsey, on top of everything else.

Doesn’t help that Goff has regressed

I don’t see him being cut quite yet for the reasons outlined in the post above

Team as a whole has regressed. McVay was the leagues darling last year (rightfully so) but wow things have gone awful this year.

Reactions: CDJ

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
That contract was ill-advised to say the least.

Even if everything else wasn't in shambles, you can't devote that much of your salary cap to a dude like that. He's not a bad player, he's just not somebody you can count on to be "the man."

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That contract was ill-advised to say the least.

Even if everything else wasn't in shambles, you can't devote that much of your salary cap to a dude like that. He's not a bad player, he's just not somebody you can count on to be "the man."

At the time tho, Goff had just broken out and proved himself to be a good QB and the Rams had pressure to maximize his low earning years (plus Gurley was still on his rookie deal) so they were desperate for an upper tier WR, even if Cooks isn't one of the very best.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't think he's upper tier. I think he's squarely a #2. He's not a particularly well-rounded player. He's Alvin Harper, or Michael Haynes. Take him away from a situation where there's a legit #1 WR opposite him and his game kinda falls apart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->