Value of: Brady Tkachuk vs Brock Boeser

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
He was on pace for 66 points last year, and his career average pace is a touch under 68 points per 82 games. How is that "basically a point per game player"?
Oh so sorry, "almost" a ppg player. Better? Point is he has outscored Tkachuk in both points and goals as far as they've played in the league. I know you're gonna use the "Tkachuk the 19 year old" excuse but if you're gonna do that then you can't use the "no 30 goals no 30 goal scorer" excuse for Boeser because everyone knows Boeser hasn't played a full season yet and being one whole goal away from scoring 30 in 20 less games pretty much makes you a 30+goal scorer.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Depends what kind of game you're looking for but Brady would be my choice without much hesitation. His first year production of 22 goals 45 points at 19 years old compared to 29 goals 56 points at 21. Boeser plays with better centres and is more of a pure goal scorer. Brady does a lot from the inside brings more size, more physicality, more compete and so far, more durability. Have to wonder what Tkachuks production could look like if he played beside Pettersen or Horvat, he prosuced well on Senators team that was severely limited in skilled forwards.

Were seeing more and more Boeser types coming in to the league and less and less Tkachuks. To me that makes Tkachuk the hotter commodity, so that's where I'd be going.

Dont use the linemate argument because you will be toasted. Boeser in his rookie season produced with Sam gagner as his center. With shitty d-men as support.

Boeser is easily the better player.

Who has more value is far too early to say.

Last edited:

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
If his brother is any indication of how his development curve is like, this is a slam dunk for Tkachuk for me.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Brock scored 1.87 in his first college season and won a national championship. Brady wasn't near that.
You cannot possibly think you can compare what a player did in college against what a player did in the best league in the world.

Reactions: robsenz

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Tkachuk just did that draft + 1. boeser just had 56pts draft+4
In 69 games...Boeser has scored at a 70 point pace in his first two NHL seasons. I’ll take that over banking on continued progression from Tkachuk. He’s also the better goal scorer, which I value quite highly.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
In 69 games...Boeser has scored at a 70 point pace in his first two NHL seasons. I’ll take that over banking on continued progression from Tkachuk. He’s also the better goal scorer, which I value quite highly.
Canucks fan on 23 year old Jake Virtanen. “Power forwards take longer to develop”

Canucks fan on Brady Tkachuk “oh I wouldn’t bank on 19 year old Brady Tkachuk to continue to progress after his one season in the NHL”

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
Canucks fan on 23 year old Jake Virtanen. “Power forwards take longer to develop”

Canucks fan on Brady Tkachuk “oh I wouldn’t bank on 19 year old Brady Tkachuk to continue to progress after his one season in the NHL”
All I said was if given the choice between a promising rookie and a proven 65-70 point guy I will take the proven guy. I’m sure Brady is gonna be great, but who’s to say he doesn’t have a bit of a sophmore slump like Boeser did? and I’ve never been high on Virtanen at all

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
All I said was if given the choice between a promising rookie and a proven 65-70 point guy I will take the proven guy. I’m sure Brady is gonna be great, but who’s to say he doesn’t have a bit of a sophmore slump like Boeser did? and I’ve never been high on Virtanen at all
Boeser has yet to top 56 points in a season. So calling him a proven 64-70 point player is disingenuous. “Pace” is meaningless. Players go through slumps throughout the year. He’s not a proven 65-70 point player until he does it. Not in theory. But actually does it.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
Boeser has yet to top 56 points in a season. So calling him a proven 64-70 point player is disingenuous. “Pace” is meaningless. Players go through slumps throughout the year. He’s not a proven 65-70 point player until he does it. Not in theory. But actually does it.
He has 116 points in 140 career games which averages out to 68 points per 82 games. Pretty ridiculous to argue he is not a 65-70 point player. 140 games is not a big enough sample size?

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
He has 116 points in 140 career games which averages out to 68 points per 82 games. Pretty ridiculous to argue he is not a 65-70 point player. 140 games is not a big enough sample size?
Has scored 65-70 points in a season yet? No. What if he continues to miss blocks of games every season? So like I said. He’s not a proven 65-70 point guy until he actually does it. I’m not interested in pace. I’m not interested in the reasons he hasn’t done it. The bottom line us. He hasn’t done it yet. Will he? Probably. Until he does he’s proven nothing.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I take Tkachuk due to his potential. I think he can be like his brother, who is better than Border IMO.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Probably pretty similar value. Boeser is the better player at this stage but Tkachuk is younger, on an ELC, and has huge potential.

If they were traded straight up for one another I would scratch my head, because it makes no sense for either team, but I wouldn't come away thinking either side got robbed.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Are you trying to convince that person their opinion is wrong? FYI Boeser has scored at a 0.47 GPG click and 0.38 GPG click in both his shortened rookie and sophmore seasons respectively. Thats almost a goal every other game. Im sure you're good enough at math I don't need to tell you what his totals would be pro-rated to a full 82 games.
...not 40?

I think he will hit 40 consistently, don't get me wrong. Just let's not act like we have proof.

If there was a trade today, hard to say who adds. On the one hand, Boeser has shown he can score. On the other, Tkachuk seems a better all around player, but further from his ceiling.

Maybe I'll say Calgary adds today, Vancouver adds more 2 years from now.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Brady Tkachuk has some serious offensive upside and holy cow is he a legit Tkachuk with his ability to piss people off.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Oh so sorry, "almost" a ppg player. Better? Point is he has outscored Tkachuk in both points and goals as far as they've played in the league. I know you're gonna use the "Tkachuk the 19 year old" excuse but if you're gonna do that then you can't use the "no 30 goals no 30 goal scorer" excuse for Boeser because everyone knows Boeser hasn't played a full season yet and being one whole goal away from scoring 30 in 20 less games pretty much makes you a 30+goal scorer.

I'm not saying Boeser isn't a 30 goal scorer.

But Tkachuk is a much more impactful player - he does much more than just score, which he also does really well for a 19 year old.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
this is more a question of the type of player you prefer . Boeser is more of a pure goal scorer. Tkachuk you get a lot of everything. If I had to pick one in a draft to build around , I'd take Tkachuk but I value the type of player he is.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Dont use the linemate argument because you will be toasted. Boeser in his rookie season produced with Sam gagner as his center. With ****ty d-men as support.

Boeser is easily the better player.

Who has more value is far too early to say.

No bias in this response eh? You've provided 0 reasoning why you think Boeser is better.

I'd say Boesers first year linemates arent any worse than Tkachuks first year linemates. And Boesers 2018-2019 linemates were significantly better than Tkachuks. Tkachuk played mostly with Tierney or White as his centre and Duclair or Boedker on the other wing. Thats probably the worse first/second line in hockey.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
...not 40?

I think he will hit 40 consistently, don't get me wrong. Just let's not act like we have proof.

If there was a trade today, hard to say who adds. On the one hand, Boeser has shown he can score. On the other, Tkachuk seems a better all around player, but further from his ceiling.

Maybe I'll say Calgary adds today, Vancouver adds more 2 years from now.
I didn't say it was 40 but in his rookie year it was 38.5 which is pretty damn close to 40. Also we're talking Brady Tkachuk from Ottawa, if you're gonna talk like you know what you're talking about at least get your information right.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I didn't say it was 40 but in his rookie year it was 38.5 which is pretty damn close to 40. Also we're talking Brady Tkachuk from Ottawa, if you're gonna talk like you know what you're talking about at least get your information right.
K, you got me. Got the wrong Tkachuk. You're a very pleasant person. Let's interact on a regular basis.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
In order for Boeser to actually put up 70 points, he needs to continue to progress as a "pace" doesn't really mean much if a guy can't play a full season. Hell pace really doesn't mean anything. Perceived value of actual points and "point pace" on HF seems to be the same as perceived value of potential compared to actual NHL talent.

I find it odd how you will bank on one young, skilled player continuing to progress, but not another young, skilled player.

Strange reasoning. Strange community.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
Canucks fan here...

Today, I take Boeser he's more proven and does the hardest thing to do in the NHL score goals he has shown progress and no doubt now he will only get better.(edit) not saying Tkachuk hasn't shown progress, rather Boeser has played more in the league thus we can't paint a better picture, need a bigger sample from Tkachuk...

If we are looking at this down the road comparably I don't think we could even measure the two if Brady Tkachuk hits his ceiling. He will be an absolute force and would have him over Boeser any day of the week. Trouble is he only has 1 year under his belt, he will be tested again early in his career being on a very weak Ottawa team so we'll see. I hope he succeeds.

Reactions: ratbid

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Canucks fan here...

Today, I take Boeser he's more proven and does the hardest thing to do in the NHL score goals he has shown progress and no doubt now he will only get better.(edit) not saying Tkachuk hasn't shown progress, rather Boeser has played more in the league thus we can't paint a better picture, need a bigger sample from Tkachuk...

If we are looking at this down the road comparably I don't think we could even measure the two if Brady Tkachuk hits his ceiling. He will be an absolute force and would have him over Boeser any day of the week. Trouble is he only has 1 year under his belt, he will be tested again early in his career being on a very weak Ottawa team so we'll see. I hope he succeeds.

Also a Canucks fan and basically saying the same thing. Honestly even if the point and goal totals are the same between the two, Brady likely has more overall impact within a game. And I believe Brady's point totals will align with Brock's by next season. Both great players, but truthfully I'd kill to have either of the Tkachuks on the Nucks (still sour about Virtanen over Matt).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad