Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part XI

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Yeah I was talking about that with a friend the other day. If they don't figure their shit out next year I can see more than Brady wanting out. I'm not sure how well this city would handle another rebuild . . . go 12 years without making the playoffs.

Dorian really did a number on this franchise. It'll be a flat out disaster if Staois can't fix this.
Have this tinfoil hat scenario with your eclipse day beer. To unf*** the team takes 2 to 3 more years to sniff the playoffs. Players ask out, it's been too long. Forced to trade them it adds 2 more years to the playoff hunt. All the while attendance plummets. Talk of relocation starts. All because of the guy who "saved" the team and his troll. Have a shot of Jamo too with that beer.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I dont get this talk of Brady wanting out. I dont see it. This is his team and we have people committed to giving a pro effort to build it.
And the back handed compliments. He has been the one guy all yr giving it his most, leads the team in hits ... AGAIN ... leads the team in goals & has become a very good playmaker/passer & creates tons of chances including constantly taking the punishment in front of the net to make plays & screen the goalies. People just don't realize how hard it is & how much it takes out of you to fight with big players along the boards, behind the net, in front of the net & he does it every shift. He's an unbelievable player who leaves it all out there every game.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Couple things I found interesting about Tkachuk's season that some feel has been disappointing;

1. He may very well hit a career high in goals, needs 1 to tie,
2. He may very well hit a career high in primary assists,needs 2 to tie.
3. He may very well hit a career high in shots, again, needs 12 tie
4. He has hit a career high in takeaways with 45.
5. He is third in the league in hits and on pace for his second highest total of his career.
6. He is currently tied for 20th in primary pts (Goal and 1st assists)
7. He's third in the league in PIMs

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I dont get this talk of Brady wanting out. I dont see it. This is his team and we have people committed to giving a pro effort to build it.

Same.

Our fanbase is just really weird and paranoid about this topic. They have no chill.

Reactions: NyQuil

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Yeah I was talking about that with a friend the other day. If they don't figure their shit out next year I can see more than Brady wanting out. I'm not sure how well this city would handle another rebuild . . . go 12 years without making the playoffs.

Dorian really did a number on this franchise. It'll be a flat out disaster if Staois can't fix this.
The one thing you could say about Dorion was that he was aggressive, and he loved to make the big splashy trade (Duchene, DeBrincat, Chychrun).

Unfortunately, these 3 players are/were not the right fit for the team in all 3 cases.
I think that is fair to say that these moves were likely more about trying to sell tickets than effective team building.

To give the guy a bit of credit (I know that is not very popular around these parts), he has assembled a pretty decent core of young players and has locked them in long term. We know in hindsight, that was not a wise move with Norris with his shoulder and the Chabot contract is now looking not so good but it certainly was a well needed move at the time. I won't go into the Korpisalo deal. Enough has been said on that one. The long-term deals for Tkachuk, Stutzle and Sanderson are very good for this team. Same goes for the mid-term deals for Batherson and Zub (and Joseph).

It goes without saying, that this is a huge offseason for Staois.
I think the key is the decision on the new Coach. My expectation is that they want Gruden but they must know that is a very risky move. I am hoping that they bring in a veteran guy (Berube, Julien, McLellan, Gallant) that preaches structure in our own zone (like Martin). I think we are stuck with Korpisalo, so we have to give the guy every chance to succeed. We have seen over the last month or so, that he can be a decent goalie, so there is hope. Probably still need to move out Forsberg and bring someone else in, who can be more of a 1A/1B situation.

Next up is to bring in a couple of veterans, one up front, who can play in the Top 9 and then one top-4 RD. We know that there will be options for both, so do whatever you can to make this happen. With Sanderson going to $8m next year and Pinto needing a big raise, we are not going to have all that much left to spend, so that probably means Chychrun needs to go.

If they can do these things and can stay somewhat healthy, they should compete for a playoff spot. If they don't, they are going to have shake up the core next off-season. I certainly do not want them to trade Tkachuk and really hope that it does not get to the point of him wanting out. We have been wanting/needing a player like this since the team came back into existence in 1992. That said, you would have to think that there is a bunch of good teams that noticed what M Tkachuk did for Florida and would line up to overpay for Brady if he ever became available.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The one thing you could say about Dorion was that he was aggressive, and he loved to make the big splashy trade (Duchene, DeBrincat, Chychrun).

Unfortunately, these 3 players are/were not the right fit for the team in all 3 cases.
I think that is fair to say that these moves were likely more about trying to sell tickets than effective team building.

To give the guy a bit of credit (I know that is not very popular around these parts), he has assembled a pretty decent core of young players and has locked them in long term. We know in hindsight, that was not a wise move with Norris with his shoulder and the Chabot contract is now looking not so good but it certainly was a well needed move at the time. I won't go into the Korpisalo deal. Enough has been said on that one. The long-term deals for Tkachuk, Stutzle and Sanderson are very good for this team. Same goes for the mid-term deals for Batherson and Zub (and Joseph).

It goes without saying, that this is a huge offseason for Staois.
I think the key is the decision on the new Coach. My expectation is that they want Gruden but they must know that is a very risky move. I am hoping that they bring in a veteran guy (Berube, Julien, McLellan, Gallant) that preaches structure in our own zone (like Martin). I think we are stuck with Korpisalo, so we have to give the guy every chance to succeed. We have seen over the last month or so, that he can be a decent goalie, so there is hope. Probably still need to move out Forsberg and bring someone else in, who can be more of a 1A/1B situation.

Next up is to bring in a couple of veterans, one up front, who can play in the Top 9 and then one top-4 RD. We know that there will be options for both, so do whatever you can to make this happen. With Sanderson going to $8m next year and Pinto needing a big raise, we are not going to have all that much left to spend, so that probably means Chychrun needs to go.

If they can do these things and can stay somewhat healthy, they should compete for a playoff spot. If they don't, they are going to have shake up the core next off-season. I certainly do not want them to trade Tkachuk and really hope that it does not get to the point of him wanting out. We have been wanting/needing a player like this since the team came back into existence in 1992. That said, you would have to think that there is a bunch of good teams that noticed what M Tkachuk did for Florida and would line up to overpay for Brady if he ever became available.
Really good post. I think we can agree that Tkachuk, Stutzle, Batherson & Giroux are all top six players & Norris when healthy is also a top six player.

Pinto looks great playing on the top line with Tkachuk & Batherson. With their size & skill at times dominate offensively & given both Pinto & Tkachuk are very good at draws hold possession quite well. IMO Pinto already is playing like a top six centre/forward & Greig IMO also has top six potential & could in a yr or so be the Giroux replacement when Claude is ready to retire.

It will be interesting whether they add a forward or a defenceman in this coming draft which should add another very good player to this young core. And let's not forget that they have Sogaard, Kleven, Ostapchuk, Jarventie & maybe one of Petersson or Boucher at RW coming soon.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Brady seems to be in the Alex Ovechkin plot territory - great player with tons of activity and hitting who doesn’t know how to help his team win. Even the year the Caps won the Cup people were saying in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round that the Caps would fold because OV doesn’t know how to win, he’s just activity over effectiveness.

Until it happens, it’ll always be this story with Brady. Great player but he can’t lead his team to victory

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Brady seems to be in the Alex Ovechkin plot territory - great player with tons of activity and hitting who doesn’t know how to help his team win. Even the year the Caps won the Cup people were saying in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round that the Caps would fold because OV doesn’t know how to win, he’s just activity over effectiveness.

Until it happens, it’ll always be this story with Brady. Great player but he can’t lead his team to victory
Pretty sure the reason why he can't lead his team to victory is because

1)his team sucks and can't play defense
2)mediocre coaching for the entire duration of his time here
3)never got a 1st overall pick like most rebuilding teams who got over the hump

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

This would be a great story if like the Capitals Brady played on a roster that year after year was viewed as a contender with a Norris finalist, Dman, top tier 1st line center, vezina winning goalie and depth players to support them.

If Brady gets the support that other contending teams captains have, we can then discuss his reputation wrt leading a team to victory, untell then there simply isn't a body of work to be fairly judged.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Pretty sure the reason why he can't lead his team to victory is because

1)his team sucks and can't play defense
2)mediocre coaching for the entire duration of his time here
3)never got a 1st overall pick like most rebuilding teams who got over the hump

He’s a big part of it, he’s a big part of the solution but he’s also a part of the losing. I love Brady Tkachuk but his game hasn’t been tight since he got here.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think Stutzle has been more disappointing than Tkachuk. He has more of an excuse due to his age and inexperience, but in terms of the actual product on the ice, he's left more on the table IMO.

He took a big step forward last season and has not met those levels this year.

Obviously he's been hurt more and playing hurt (judging by the tape job for quite a chunk of the year). He's also been showing visible signs of frustration, disappointment and petulance on the ice when things don't go his way.

He's only 22 and the most talented player on the team, so hopefully we can chalk this year up as a learning experience, but he still has rough edges to his game including unnecessary high-risk plays that need to be sanded down.

Ultimately, I think it's the goaltending that has killed us. For a team whose confidence is fragile at best, giving up back-breaking goals (either at the very beginning of the game, at the very end of periods, etc.) consistently is crushing to morale.

We can stress team defence until the cows come home, but unless one or both of our goalies can put together a significant stretch of decent performances, nothing is going to change.

It is possible - Forsberg put up a .917 two seasons ago and we were all under the belief that Ottawa was ahead in its rebuild over its immediate competition like Buffalo and Detroit.

Here's a post from the off-season when some Ottawa fans were predicting a deep run and jump much like the Devils. I had pointed out that it all had to do with goaltending.

All of a sudden, the Devils don't have the kind of goaltending they got last season and they're floundering again.

They went from 8th best GA in 2022-2023 to 6th worst in 2023-2024. Obviously they've had some changes on the backline but Vanecek went from 82nd worst in GSAA to 4th worst in the league and in desperation they went out and picked up Jake Allen. (kind of wish we had)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
As a reminder:

GSAA.png

Reactions: aragorn

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The key for Brady going forward is to bring that type of intensity to every game...not breaking records in hits obviously, but everything else.

He'll never be able to do that.

No power forward plays like that. Not over 82 games.

He has to figure out which games to bring it as the all-around menace that he is, and which games he can rely more on his skill and talent.

EDIT: LOL, basically what @Icelevel said in the very next post.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Raanta could be a good buy low candidate. He can't possibly be as bad as he was this year and if he bounces back to his career average, we'll be set
He's 35 (at least he will be in a month), even if he does bounce back he's by no means a long term solution. I'd be ok with him as a backup though.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He's 35 (at least he will be in a month), even if he does bounce back he's by no means a long term solution. I'd be ok with him as a backup though.
I want both Forsberg and Korpisal shipped out so Raanta as our back up and then whomever else we acquire as our main 1A

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
This would be a great story if like the Capitals Brady played on a roster that year after year was viewed as a contender with a Norris finalist, Dman, top tier 1st line center, vezina winning goalie and depth players to support them.

If Brady gets the support that other contending teams captains have, we can then discuss his reputation wrt leading a team to victory, untell then there simply isn't a body of work to be fairly judged.

Stutzle
Sanderson
Pinto
Batherson
Zub
Giroux
Greig
Norris
Chabot
Joseph
(+ Tarasenko/DBC/Chychrun)

that is not support? that is the most skilled and deepest team since the 2000s Senators. One of the most expensive rosters in the league.

If the previous captains in Spezza, Stone, Karlsson had this kind of support no one would have been complaining. We would have been over the moon.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Stutzle
Sanderson
Pinto
Batherson
Zub
Giroux
Greig
Norris
Chabot
Joseph

that is not support? that is the most skilled and deepest team since the 2000s Senators. One of the most expensive rosters in the league.

If the previous captains in Spezza, Stone, Karlsson had this kind of support no one would have been complaining. We would have been over the moon.
Hard disagree here. This roster isn't deep by any means. There's holes in every aspect (Forwards, blueline, in net). CASH line sens, EK led sens, etc., their flaws were relatively minor comapared to today where we've had the worst goaltending in the league and only one NHL quality RD on the roster the whole year.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Stutzle
Sanderson
Pinto
Batherson
Zub
Giroux
Greig
Norris
Chabot
Joseph

Spezza, Karlsson and Stone were playing largely with players in their primes. It’s not just about the names, a 21 year old Jake Sanderson, as good as he is, is probably not even close to what 26 year old Sanderson will be. And so at least half your list is somewhat based on potential. It’s skilled but it’s also very under developed.

The 2017 Sens roster for example, flawed as it was, had 10x the experience our current roster does and you could see it in how they played.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Stutzle
Sanderson
Pinto
Batherson
Zub
Giroux
Greig
Norris
Chabot
Joseph

I'm talking about over a career, he's had maybe two years where the roster was expected to even compete for a wild card spot, so yeah, he hasn't had the support Ovechkin had over his career. And all that is without getting into injuries, or half season suspension for off ice conduct.

Beyond that there's an extremely strong argument to be made that goaltending had sunk the team for the majority of his career, and especially this year, the team has the 7th worst sv% in the league over his career, and dead last this year, previous captains had Anderson still in his prime.

None of this should be surprising, it's all very obvious stuff.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Spezza, Karlsson and Stone were playing largely with players in their primes. It’s not just about the names, a 21 year old Jake Sanderson, as good as he is, is probably not even close to what 26 year old Sanderson will be. And so at least half your list is somewhat based on potential. It’s skilled but it’s also very under developed.

The 2017 Sens roster for example, flawed as it was, had 10x the experience our current roster does and you could see it in how they played.
Just for reference, the ECF team had 11699 man games of experience, 5th most in the league that year, with an average age of 26.93, 9th in the league, while today's roster has 7113 man games of experience, 29th in the league and an average age of 26.12, 27th in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad