Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) I'm a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Anyone else really worried about his contract situation? If his dad's involvement in his career and his brother's contract negotiations are any indication, this will likely go down to the wire. If he touches RFA, I can see some bonus-laden offersheets coming his way.

Absolutely! Dad is a former pro and knows the sport from the inside out, combined with a franchise that is hanging on by a thread with an owner who is undoubtedly going to lowball Brady! The writing is on the wall! St Louis bound!!

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The Tkachuk's, Craig Oster and Newport Sports aren't in the business of taking hometown discounts. Going to be a fascinating contract negotiation whenever it takes place.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
You can tell the Tkachuk brothers are going to get as much $$ as they can. Melnyk better not F this up.

Brady will probably sign a bridge deal next summer.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I like to think that Matthew's playing hardball with the Flames so that he can jump ship and play with Brady at the earliest opportunity. :D

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I like to think that Matthew's playing hardball with the Flames so that he can jump ship and play with Brady at the earliest opportunity. :D

Doubt it happens in Ottawa, but yeah I can see him being tentative about the direction that Calgary is moving in.

That's an aging core with many guys poised to leave, and not a very strong group of prospects coming up. I see them being at the very tail end of their window to compete, and a retool is almost inevitable at this point.

If the Sens prospects and upcoming picks catch fire over the next couple seasons, and Brady is a cornerstone (and possible captain) here, Ottawa would certainly have to be at least a consideration for Matt if hes available.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

I mean, has that really been the knock on us though?

Its true that we've lacked that superstar forward since Spezza had his last big season here - Mark Stone wasnt that guy until he was gone in what feels like the majority of peoples eyes.

But in terms of having a franchise cornerstone, Karlsson was exactly that for almost a decade for us, and has only been gone 2 seasons now...

And when he left, Chabot and Tkachuk emerged immediately following that - who are both worthy of that label imo. So at least as a fan I dont quite get the feeling that we are in some kind of major drought or anything.

Reactions: HzH

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Brady is our J.T. Miller.

I wouldn't call him that. Miller was right there with EP as a main offensive threat. As good as Brady is, if he's our main offensive threat, we're kinda screwed. His offense won't be more than 60pts (30g/30a) unless he's having an absolutely stellar year.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I wouldn't call him that. Miller was right there with EP as a main offensive threat. As good as Brady is, if he's our main offensive threat, we're kinda screwed. His offense won't be more than 60pts (30g/30a) unless he's having an absolutely stellar year.

If he puts up Miller numbers, does that still not apply?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
For those of you that want to give him the big bucks, remember, we can't fall into the Toronto trap. $8 million is wayyyy too much for Brady. Can y'all imagine how screwed Vancouver would be if they gave Horvat more than $5.5 million. Obviously you adjust for inflation, but Brady hasn't done anything to warrant more than $6.5million imo. He hasn't lead the team offensively like Chabot has and if we are going to pay $7+ million for intangibles, we're going to screw ourselves when anyone we develop who ends up being our main offensive piece. Offer him a bridge deal to let him establish himself as worth that much or see if he'll sign a $6-6.5 million for 7-8 years. If not, he can screw off via offersheet and we try again. Players ought to earn their contracts and I don't want what happened in Toronto to happen here.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
For those of you that want to give him the big bucks, remember, we can't fall into the Toronto trap. $8 million is wayyyy too much for Brady. Can y'all imagine how screwed Vancouver would be if they gave Horvat more than $5.5 million. Obviously you adjust for inflation, but Brady hasn't done anything to warrant more than $6.5million imo. He hasn't lead the team offensively like Chabot has and if we are going to pay $7+ million for intangibles, we're going to screw ourselves when anyone we develop who ends up being our main offensive piece. Offer him a bridge deal to let him establish himself as worth that much or see if he'll sign a $6-6.5 million for 7-8 years. If not, he can screw off via offersheet and we try again. Players ought to earn their contracts and I don't want what happened in Toronto to happen here.
Completely disagree. IMO Tkachuk has lead this team & I would argue has lead it much better than Chabot has who had some tough games to end the season. Tkachuk in his short time here has become the face of this franchise, the media love him & are constantly talking about him. BT led the team in scoring last yr, so how you can say he didn't lead the team offensively when he had more pts than Chabot is a head scratcher. Chabot is a great player but IMO Tkachuk does so many different things that not only help the team be better, but help the players be better & play bigger. It's more likely Tkachuk becomes the captain over the quiet & shy Chabot because of all the attention he gets & the media want to talk to him all the time.

They should give him whatever the market has determined he is worth & I wouldn't worry about becoming the stinking Leafs. Ottawa has a ton of cap & should have plenty of cap room for the next few yrs anyway. A few players have already come off LTIR & Gaborik is a yr away from being off it. A number of their UFAs won't be returning which frees up more money & Ryan only has two yrs left on his contract. They should also move a number of players this yr to make more more financial room. They have & will have a very young team with a number of them on ELCs & should have plenty of room to pay Tkachuk what it would take to keep him here long term for quite a while & they should. He's the kind of player that other players will follow to battle, Chabot is a great player, but I'm not sure he carries as much weight as BT in the room or on the ice. BT is worth every penny just for the entertainment value alone & this is an entertainment business.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Completely disagree. IMO Tkachuk has lead this team & I would argue has lead it much better than Chabot has who had some tough games to end the season. Tkachuk in his short time here has become the face of this franchise, the media love him & are constantly talking about him. BT led the team in scoring last yr, so how you can say he didn't lead the team offensively when he had more pts than Chabot is a head scratcher. Chabot is a great player but IMO Tkachuk does so many different things that not only help the team be better, but help the players be better & play bigger. It's more likely Tkachuk becomes the captain over the quiet & shy Chabot because of all the attention he gets & the media want to talk to him all the time.

They should give him whatever the market has determined he is worth & I wouldn't worry about becoming the stinking Leafs. Ottawa has a ton of cap & should have plenty of cap room for the next few yrs anyway. A few players have already come off LTIR & Gaborik is a yr away from being off it. A number of their UFAs won't be returning which frees up more money & Ryan only has two yrs left on his contract. They should also move a number of players this yr to make more more financial room. They have & will have a very young team with a number of them on ELCs & should have plenty of room to pay Tkachuk what it would take to keep him here long term for quite a while & they should. He's the kind of player that other players will follow to battle, Chabot is a great player, but I'm not sure he carries as much weight as BT in the room or on the ice. BT is worth every penny just for the entertainment value alone & this is an entertainment business.

Alfie wasn't the most vocal guy, he did all his talking on the ice through his play. Chabot plays the most ice time per game in the league and doesn't have an adequate defensive partner. Tkachuk was on pace to have better offensive #s, but 50ish point for the 2nd worst team in the league is nothing to brag about. Exactly who did Brady play with that had such a good season as a result of his presence? Exactly who followed him to battle this season as a result of his play? He might become that one day, but isn't right now and we need to pay for what he is right now

I'm not saying Brady is garbage, i'm just saying lets adjust our view of him and recognize that we have a young power forward who does the little things right, but is far from a clutch, point producing dynamo that can lead this team to the promised land. He wasn't even nominated for the Calder and his offensive increase, while good, isn't enough to warrant the money some of us suggest on this board.

Toronto can spend to the cap whenever they feel like it. We have no idea if Melnyk will be a cheapo when its time for us to contend so we have to make sure we get full value out of every single contract. Don't just go with the market price, set the market price. Pastrnak could've asked for a lot more, but the Bruins got him for a bargain, its one of the reasons his deal is so good. We need to do something similar and not limit ourselves. If Brady has $8 million on a long term deal, if our next offensive threat is better then him, what are the chances Melnyk opens his wallet for more cash?

otown

Sep 4, 2009
There was a day when players had to earn their contracts but a contract now is based on what you hope they will become!
Brady will get market value,whether it is in Ottawa or elsewhere. It is up to PD to convince him that Ottawa is on the right track and up to EM to pay market value. Low balling him will lead to ambiguous feelings and potentially, more collateral damage to the franchise.
Sign him!!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Alfie wasn't the most vocal guy, he did all his talking on the ice through his play. Chabot plays the most ice time per game in the league and doesn't have an adequate defensive partner. Tkachuk was on pace to have better offensive #s, but 50ish point for the 2nd worst team in the league is nothing to brag about. Exactly who did Brady play with that had such a good season as a result of his presence? Exactly who followed him to battle this season as a result of his play? He might become that one day, but isn't right now and we need to pay for what he is right now

I'm not saying Brady is garbage, i'm just saying lets adjust our view of him and recognize that we have a young power forward who does the little things right, but is far from a clutch, point producing dynamo that can lead this team to the promised land. He wasn't even nominated for the Calder and his offensive increase, while good, isn't enough to warrant the money some of us suggest on this board.

Toronto can spend to the cap whenever they feel like it. We have no idea if Melnyk will be a cheapo when its time for us to contend so we have to make sure we get full value out of every single contract. Don't just go with the market price, set the market price. Pastrnak could've asked for a lot more, but the Bruins got him for a bargain, its one of the reasons his deal is so good. We need to do something similar and not limit ourselves. If Brady has $8 million on a long term deal, if our next offensive threat is better then him, what are the chances Melnyk opens his wallet for more cash?
Who knows what Melnyk will do & we never won a cup with Alfie. BT is worth every penny & hopefully he doesn't break EM's bank account, but PD should do everything he can to keep this guy in Ottawa. IMO he is the most important player on this team for the future of this franchise. Who would you rather go into battle with Chabot or Tkachuk? And this is not to minimize Chabot's ability, he is a terrific player, but not a physical presence like Tkachuk is & will be in future. Both are great players but different from each other & both should help to build this team into a contender.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Kid is looking large and fit...man he is going to be a handful for years to come.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Who knows what Melnyk will do & we never won a cup with Alfie. BT is worth every penny & hopefully he doesn't break EM's bank account, but PD should do everything he can to keep this guy in Ottawa. IMO he is the most important player on this team for the future of this franchise. Who would you rather go into battle with Chabot or Tkachuk? And this is not to minimize Chabot's ability, he is a terrific player, but not a physical presence like Tkachuk is & will be in future. Both are great players but different from each other & both should help to build this team into a contender.

I'd personally follow someone who adequately filled the offensive shoes of Erik Karlsson without any decent defensive partners or goaltending. Being physical isn't a very good reason to think BT is the next leader of this team.

Hopefully they both are a reason why this team becomes a contender but I want to see every player earn his worth with actual play rather than be gifted a salary based off perceived value. Let the lads earn their bread.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah we need to show this kid we are serious about building a cup team around him...And that will cost to the cap,do you understand this EM??

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
There was a day when players had to earn their contracts but a contract now is based on what you hope they will become!
Brady will get market value,whether it is in Ottawa or elsewhere. It is up to PD to convince him that Ottawa is on the right track and up to EM to pay market value. Low balling him will lead to ambiguous feelings and potentially, more collateral damage to the franchise.
Sign him!!

I doubt he is cheap with Brady, when he talked about moving down town he said it could mean 8 more million a year he said they could add a good player then he said"we could add a power forward " and had the look of awe o Gary Roberts in his eye.

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
Bradys a great player and hes unique but everyones in aw for him bc we see him on our team already. We will need cap room to sign guys we draft this year. Matthew got 7x3 i wouldnt say brady deserves what his brother got in terms of $$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad