Eklund Rumor: Brady Tkachuk for Colton Parayko

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
In 3 years, I expect Tkachuk to St. Louis rumours to heat up, and having something to them.

Right now? No chance.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Source: Sens and Blues Have Talked About Tkachuk Trade. Parayko?

As per Eklund...

There is no secret that the Blues would love to bring in Tkachuk. The only name that appears to have gotten the attention of Ottawa is Colton Parayko…The talk now has not involved any other players or prospects I am told…

Will update with any new info…

Would you make that trade?
Ottawa no.

think they have young rhd plus strong LHD. Docker and Thompson on the right with Chabot, Sanderson, Brannstrom on the left.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I believe that St. Louis covets Tkachuk and has sounded out the Senators as to his availability. I can also believe that Ottawa's not listening unless Parayko is coming the other way. That doesn't mean St. Louis is receptive, though. It just means that Ottawa isn't going to give him away for picks and prospects. Any offer had better be serious. That's a fair position.

As a thought exercise, I dig the grist for discussion. It's a reasonable swap. I don't think the Blues would do it, though, at least not this year. Trading Parayko right now douses their defense in kerosene and sets it on fire.

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Source: Sens and Blues Have Talked About Tkachuk Trade. Parayko?

As per Eklund...

There is no secret that the Blues would love to bring in Tkachuk. The only name that appears to have gotten the attention of Ottawa is Colton Parayko…The talk now has not involved any other players or prospects I am told…

Will update with any new info…

Would you make that trade?

Well, they did wanted Zach Sanford, so theres more than one St. Louis player Ottawa had interest in...

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Ottawa no.

think they have young rhd plus strong LHD. Docker and Thompson on the right with Chabot, Sanderson, Brannstrom on the left.

Thomson isn’t very good and with DJ Smith at the helm I can see him landing in the dog house very, very early.

Fingers crossed on his development though.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
For Brady Tkachuk? I would.

From a value standpoint okay. However, as a GM, unless you want every negotiation to turn into players asking for NTC/NMC, you don't do this.

As much as HF considers non-use of offersheets to be GM gentleman's agreement, trading a player immediately after signing a long term contract is also a big unwritten rule. It's just extremely bad faith negotiation. There's probably a decent consensus among fans, GMs, and players - when they sign an 8 year contract, there's an understanding that the player might not live out the contract with the team that signed them. Everyone understands it's a business...But to not even play a game on that contract? Let along not playing a game, to be traded within the month you signed an 8 year contract? Obviously this excludes sign and trades like Karlsson, where there is explicit forgoing knowledge the player is being signed to be traded.

I mean, wanna talk about destroying any goodwill you have with players, that's a good way to do it. You would essentially forfeit your future right to sit down with an agent and say - "you know we want your guy on an 8 year contract, he's part of our long term plans here." The difference in value here is not worth that headache, he's not McDavid.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I think the real question is which of Brady or Matthew gets back to STL first. Neither seems like they are going to take a discount and I don't know that you pay two guys that much for the role they play. They may be in a race against each other in the end.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
St. Louis' only prayer for re-opening their window is swinging for the Tkachuk fences. They're in for some lean years ahead

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
All these Tkachuk to St. Louis threads are going to be exhausting over the next few years. I'd be willing to bet one of them or one of the other St. Louis natives come to the Blues at some point, but like all the other threads with players going back to their hometown, it's an overrated thing.
I feel like Matthew to St. Louis will make a lot of sense in the next two years if/when he becomes a UFA with Tarasenko's money off the books. Brady just has too many years of team control left to find any way to fit him into our current cap structure without moving out assets that will hurt the team, maybe even more than bringing in Brady would help it. Not to mention that our forward group is already so crowded that we will likely have a couple of clear Top-6 guys on the 3rd line. Great problem to have, I just don't see the need or the deal to do this, especially at the expense of your top defenseman.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
All these Tkachuk to St. Louis threads are going to be exhausting over the next few years. I'd be willing to bet one of them or one of the other St. Louis natives come to the Blues at some point, but like all the other threads with players going back to their hometown, it's an overrated thing.
well at least you guys got Logan Brown :naughty:

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
What? The Blues window is very open right now. They arguably have a deeper forward core than they did in 19 and the defense will get a much improved boost from last year now that Parayko is healthy.
Meh...they won by riding a hot new goalie who played especially well. He was very average after that and they won't win unless he can get hit again no matter how deep they are. The defence isn't what is was either. Hard to see them competing against Vegas or Colorado here

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Meh...they won by riding a hot new goalie who played especially well. He was very average after that and they won't win unless he can get hit again no matter how deep they are. The defence isn't what is was either. Hard to see them competing against Vegas or Colorado here

The Blues have been battling tons of injuries to top players and bad luck with covid the past 2 seasons (no Perron the entire playoffs last season b/c of covid protocol). They're still a contender when healthy even without Pietrangelo.

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018
Every team requires a hot goalie to win the cup. Blues have one that's already done that so it's not unreasonable to think that's possible again.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I think the real question is which of Brady or Matthew gets back to STL first. Neither seems like they are going to take a discount and I don't know that you pay two guys that much for the role they play. They may be in a race against each other in the end.

It’ll likely be Matthew. He’s way closer to UFA, and I think he’s the better player anyways.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

What you call a "Hot New Goalie" we called an investment that paid the ultimate dividend: winning the Stanley Cup. Binnington did it as the first rookie in history to win all the games. Others will do it after I'm sure, but he did it first on the first Blues team to win it all.

A Blues team that was the WORST team in January. A Blues team that took on ROR who was pretty much ran out of Buffalo with all sorts of negative tags on him who came to St. Louis to not only win the Cup, but also to WIN THE CONN SMYTHE.

A Blues team that did the impossible and beat teams that everyone said was better than us and they weren't. The same Blues team that won every game that had a short handed goal scored AGAINST THEM.

And by doing so broke a 50+ year curse.

This isn't all luck, this is the strategy and long-term build of GM architect Doug Armstrong with the support of Stillman, an owner who bleeds blue for life. Period.

No one in their right mind calls up a -rookie- backup to take over, especially in the playoffs, unless they see it fitting the puzzle. Doug believed in it. Chief believed in it. Everyone saw it through. That wasn't luck or fear, that was planning. Army knew WHO to bring in, WHEN to do something and WHEN to step aside and let Chief roll. THAT is the mark of a master GM.

Everyone else calls it luck. We call it planning. That's why we got a Cup and others have failed.

Last edited:

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Never going to happen because post #3

BUT.

I'd offer Tkachuk + Brannstrom (I like him; the team seems not to) for something like Parayko + Thomas

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
What you call a "Hot New Goalie" we called an investment that paid the ultimate dividend: winning the Stanley Cup. Binnington did it as the first rookie in history to win all the games. Others will do it after I'm sure, but he did it first on the first Blues team to win it all.

A Blues team that was the WORST team in January. A Blues team that took on ROR who was pretty much ran out of Buffalo with all sorts of negative tags on him who came to St. Louis to not only win the Cup, but also to WIN THE CONN SMYTHE.

A Blues team that did the impossible and beat teams that everyone said was better than us and they weren't. The same Blues team that won every game that had a short handed goal scored AGAINST THEM.

And by doing so broke a 50+ year curse.

This isn't all luck, this is the strategy and long-term build of GM architect Doug Armstrong with the support of Stillman, an owner who bleeds blue for life. Period.

No one in their right mind calls up the backup to take over, especially in the playoffs, unless they see it fitting the puzzle. Doug believed in it. Chief believed in it. Everyone saw it through. That wasn't luck or fear, that was planning. Army knew WHO to bring in, WHEN to do something and WHEN to step aside and let Chief roll. THAT is the mark of a master GM.

Everyone else calls it luck. We call it planning. That's why we got a Cup and others have failed.
Again meh....you could say the same for Pittsburgh tampa Washington etc...again when the hot streak ran out we saw what happened. To say the window is still wide open is a bit of a stretch

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
The Blues have been battling tons of injuries to top players and bad luck with covid the past 2 seasons (no Perron the entire playoffs last season b/c of covid protocol). They're still a contender when healthy even without Pietrangelo.
I dont disagree that they could compete somewhat but more like a tier 2 contender or mayne even a tier 3....Colorado and Vegas are ahead by miles. They more in line with Edmonton Winnipeg etc and Chicago close behind

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Every team requires a hot goalie to win the cup. Blues have one that's already done that so it's not unreasonable to think that's possible again.
Not exactly. Therre is a difference between hot and elite. We saw that this year . Price didn't get hot, he played the way he can. Vask is the best in the world, he didn't get hot , he just played his game. In this case he got hot and was new. Once the rest caught on it was back to earth, kinda like Matt Murray was in Pitt

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
this is kind of a fun one, but it has the credibility of a proposal from an HFposter.

It's fun because St.Louis would like to get Tkachuk, and there are public rumors floating around that he would like to end up there eventually.

The Parayko suggestion is fun, but also evil. Ottawa would love him, but that is some dick move. The Blues sign a guy to 8 years, with a full NTC and at a low cap hit, possibly because he wants to stay in St.Louis, and to do this trade before that NTC kicks in. Wow, I do not see that happening.

Also, obviously, it seems like they could eventually get Tkachuk anyway. Trading away arguably your top Dman for a winger seems short sighted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad