Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 6 - Return of the F.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So how many cup winning captains have been shift disturbers since 67?

Messier, I'll give you. Who else fits the mold?
This comes back to the idea that shift disturber is typically not a term associated with high skill guys at all and there is a tendancy to go with the top player on the team as captain.

Hell, Alfredsson had some shift disturber tendencies in his his game, just ask Niedermayer or Tucker...

Shift disturbers are relatively rare in the NHL, not every team has one. Captains are rare, max a team can have is one afterall. The combination is therefore going to be particularly rare.

Reactions: Bileur

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009

Dustin Brown.

Ovie would've been a great shit disturber if he wasn't such a scoring machine.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This comes back to the idea that shift disturber is typically not a term associated with high skill guys at all and there is a tendancy to go with the top player on the team as captain.

Hell, Alfredsson had some shift disturber tendencies in his his game, just ask Niedermayer or Tucker...

Shift disturbers are relatively rare in the NHL, not every team has one. Captains are rare, max a team can have is one afterall. The combination is therefore going to be particularly rare.
Alfie was far more skilled than Brady.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Chara racked up a ton of penalty minutes as well. There's not one mold for a captain. Just because there are a lot of quiet, boring captains doesn't mean that's the only way.

there's no point to arguing about Tkachuk with this poster, though.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Chara racked up a ton of penalty minutes as well. There's not one mold for a captain. Just because there are a lot of quiet, boring captains doesn't mean that's the only way.

there's no point to arguing about Tkachuk with this poster, though.
We had Chara on the 2000's Sens teams you claim would have won with a Brady...

Chara is a shift calmer.

Reactions: Cosmix

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
We had Chara on the 2000's Sens teams you claim would have won with a Brady...

Chara is a shift calmer.
He was an aggressive bastard but not like Brady. Was just saying he is not close to your prototypical boring, calm captain, who doesn't play on the edge. Not even close.

For the record I am fine with Chabot as well, they both have their pros and cons. I think Brady is the right captain to lead this current group and change our reputation, both in the NHL and in our city. He's not a guy like Marchand or Kadri or Gallagher. He sticks up for himself and will drop the gloves with anybody. Ottawa is a boring government town and needs some swagger and attitude.

Tkachuk is the franchise's most important player at the moment in my opinion. This argument goes back to people thinking he has no skill and is a better Chris Neil when that couldn't be further from reality.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I can't stand players like Brady, playing for the Sens doesn't change my disdain for his style. Refs don't respect players that are constantly stirring things up and whom they need to be constantly monitoring. It's why Kadri and Gallagher don't get the benefit of the doubt on calls. Talented players but the act wears thin with officials and eventually teammates.

So at least we have the crux of it here. You can't stand Brady and think that refs don't like him.

I can't understand this take at all since he clearly goes by, "the code" on the ice. No cheap shots and plays clean and hard. Refs LOVE those players because they know what they see is what they get and his ability to communicate will be a huge benefit.

Can you please describe or show highlights of some of the plays you think showcase the issues Brady will create with refs?

He is so clearly our future captain that I can't imagine anyone else taking that role and despite Chabot being a close 2nd I bet even he thinks Brady should wear the C. Dude brings everyone up to his level and that is what you want from your captain.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Derian Hatcher. Bobby Clarke.
So Hatcher 1
Brown 2
Clarke 2
Messier 2

Even ignoring the debate as to whether they belong on this list, we are at 7 of 50.

I'll take the highly skilled, hard working, best player on the team leadership style for the better model.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
So Hatcher 1
Brown 2
Clarke 2
Messier 2

Even ignoring the debate as to whether they belong on this list, we are at 7 of 50.

I'll take the highly skilled, hard working, best player on the team leadership style for the better model.
It's irrelevant how many of "that style of captain" there are who won a Cup, the point you are trying to make is you can't with a Cup with a captain like that, and clearly you are wrong, since it has happened. There is no one size fits all captain.

This is literally like asking how many European Captains have won the Cup. What, 3-4 in history? Oh clearly you don't want a European captain then.

Tkachuk is the hardest working player on the ice and is high skilled.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
It's irrelevant how many of "that style of captain" there are who won a Cup, the point you are trying to make is you can't with a Cup with a captain like that, and clearly you are wrong, since it has happened. There is no one size fits all captain.

This is literally like asking how many European Captains have won the Cup.

Tkachuk is the hardest working player on the ice and is high skilled.
I never said you can't win with a captain that plays that style.

I said there is a better model available and present on the Sens in Chabot.

Brady is not high skilled.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

This has nothing to do with anything.

How many European captains won the Cup until recently? Being a C and not winning the Cup is not a condemnation, its a meaningless statistic.

Teams win with good talent. If Brady isn't the C he will still be a leader and still make his teammates better and if we have a good enough roster it wont' really matter who the captain is.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I can see Brady getting a C down the road...but not now.

His game has to mature a bit, and he needs to grow on the refs a bit, too. I don't recall when Howe or Pronger got the C for their teams, but I'll wager it wasn't as young as Brady is now. Let him grow into it naturally.

Honestly...if Ryan is back 100% (mentally) from his hiatus last year, I would give him the C for the last two years of his contract. That lines up perfectly timewise for Brady to assume the C in 2022-23.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I can see Brady getting a C down the road...but not now.

His game has to mature a bit, and he needs to grow on the refs a bit, too. I don't recall when Howe or Pronger got the C for their teams, but I'll wager it wasn't as young as Brady is now. Let him grow into it naturally.

Honestly...if Ryan is back 100% (mentally) from his hiatus last year, I would give him the C for the last two years of his contract. That lines up perfectly timewise for Brady to assume the C in 2022-23.
Giving Ryan the C would be the worst possible thing you can do. The C should go to someone reliable, even Boro would be a better choice.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Honestly when I think of Tkachuk as captain or someone else..it kind of doesn't matter.

His game and energy makes him the defacto leader. You can give someone else the C but it's still going to be Tkachuk that will run the show. Another player may be better as being a go between with coaches and players or may be better at talking to refs...but Brady Tkachuk is the Sens on ice leader.

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Giving Ryan the C would be the worst possible thing you can do. The C should go to someone reliable, even Boro would be a better choice.

I'm not a big Ryan fan (as a player, that is)...but I think after last season, the biggest demon is off his back. And I truly believe he is really well loved in that room, and guys on the team would run through a wall for him. Being captain isn't always about who is best on the ice or who is the biggest star. It's also about being one of the veterans on the team that guys can talk to and trust, and who can take the kids under his wing and teach them. Ryan definitely fits that category.

And, this move also frees up Chabot to have an A instead of a C long-term. It's hard enough playing on the blueline in the NHL these days...he doesn't need the pressure of walking in Erik's shadow. Giving him an A shows how he is respected in the room and organization, without overloading him.

And like I posted before, Brady isn't ready yet. But in two years (and a bit), he will be.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not a big Ryan fan (as a player, that is)...but I think after last season, the biggest demon is off his back. And I truly believe he is really well loved in that room, and guys on the team would run through a wall for him. Being captain isn't always about who is best on the ice or who is the biggest star. It's also about being one of the veterans on the team that guys can talk to and trust, and who can take the kids under his wing and teach them. Ryan definitely fits that category.

And, this move also frees up Chabot to have an A instead of a C long-term. It's hard enough playing on the blueline in the NHL these days...he doesn't need the pressure of walking in Erik's shadow. Giving him an A shows how he is respected in the room and organization, without overloading him.

And like I posted before, Brady isn't ready yet. But in two years (and a bit), he will be.

The last thing i want to do to a guy that fought demons and struggled living up to a contract he never was going to live up to is add the pressure of being a captain that underperforms his contract...

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Alfie was considered an ice man when it came to getting thrown off his game by anyone,Domi said as much during those series with the Leafs....He was impossible to get him to react ,he would just skate harder

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Now compare the roles they had breaking in.

Brady has been gifted top line minutes based on Sens rosters for the last two years that have been stripped of talent by the financially motivated firesale.

Well i guess given we had no pizza line as a top line that Brady got gifted minutes in that sense. But it still sounds funny cause other players like White were said to have been gifted top minutes when they got to play with Tkachuk. Id think Tkachuks minutes were earned and deserved and he used the development time well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->