Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 6 - Return of the F.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
So Hatcher 1
Brown 2
Clarke 2
Messier 2

Even ignoring the debate as to whether they belong on this list, we are at 7 of 50.

I'll take the highly skilled, hard working, best player on the team leadership style for the better model.

I agree with those saying it’s irrelevant, aside from their arguments, how many skilled cerebral captains didn’t win cups? Just in our division you’ve got 14 seasons of Alfie, 11 seasons of Koivu, 10 seasons of Sundin. It doesn’t mean much. It’s a poor argument.

I also think you’re getting too caught up in the semantic or shift disturber. Tkachuk is no Ruutu or Varada. Sure he does agitating things but he's also a throwback power forward type who in his prime will be intimidate and impose his will on the opposition with physicality.

In that sense, Potvin and his 4 cups and Stevens and his 3 are other examples of intimidators who lead their teams to cups.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What’s Matthew’s path? He re-signed for 3 years after his rookie contract.
exactly .. We are talking about Matthew Tkachuk not other players surnamed Matthews.

My point was not wanting to sign a long term deal, would mean no "C" imo. I wouldn't make him "C" if he isn't going to commit to the team long term. I take it that you think 3 years is long enough

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Brady Tkachuk seems like a pretty obvious choice to be named the next captain. The arguments as to why he shouldn't be don't seem very strong. Anyone who has paid attention to the comments from Dorion and DJ Smith acknowledging his professionalism, work ethic and character, and the comments from his team mates, his comment level game in game out and how he treats the fans would clearly recognize that he is very respected and almost a shoe in to be named the next captain. Tkachuk is a team first guy with an undying will to win.

He proved how much of a leader he is in a game vs Florida earlier this season. The Sens were down 6-1 in the third period and there was a little more than ten minutes left in the game. Brady started chirpping the Flordia bench. Mike Johnson was doing the commentating and he said that Tkachuk's response to the Florida bench was that the game isn't over yet. Tkachuk went out next shift full of intensity, for the next ten minutes very player on the team played the final ten minutes like it was playoff hockey. It was like the USNTDP intern said years back that Brady is the type of player that can spark a dead whale to life.

Tkachuk is the type of guy that brings a team together and one who leads by example. A good captain is one that does a lot of the little things that all players are capable of doing. They are the ones ho show up to play every game, the ones who work hard in practice, that give it their all on the ice and show up when their team needs them most. They win the puck battles, support their team mates and commit to playing hard everywhere on the ice. Tkachuk is the type of player that could lead a team to a Stanley Cup, he is the type of player to build the team identity around.

Just wait until this team makes the playoffs and then everyone will see what kind of leader and captain Brady Tkachuk is capable of becoming.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
[...]
Just wait until this team makes the playoffs and then everyone will see what kind of leader and captain Brady Tkachuk is capable of becoming.

tenor.gif

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So Hatcher 1
Brown 2
Clarke 2
Messier 2

Even ignoring the debate as to whether they belong on this list, we are at 7 of 50.

I'll take the highly skilled, hard working, best player on the team leadership style for the better model.
I’ll take the skilled, hard working, most competitive player who is already a leader. That’s a vote for Brady.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
If the game is on the line, who do you think will have the extra gear to go 110%? the cerebral type or the energy type? Alfie and EK were both types.

Think like a Crosby, who has talent but he's also a great energy guy. Maybe 1 of our 2020 picks will have be the guy.

I would say give it to Ryan for a couple years , it will give time for the cream to rise to the top.

No rush to have a captain now.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The last thing i want to do to a guy that fought demons and struggled living up to a contract he never was going to live up to is add the pressure of being a captain that underperforms his contract...

That's true, but he's also at the tail end of his career right now. Most of that stuff is in the past. He could put up 100 points in the next two years and it doesn't remove that contract. . I don't think the "outside expectations" of the C will phase him at this point, as the internal pressures and hell he's been under was far greater than anything on the ice.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I’ll take the skilled, hard working, most competitive player who is already a leader. That’s a vote for Brady.
I'll take the far more skilled, hard working, most competitive player who is already a leader. That's a vote for Chabot.

Reactions: topshelf15

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Brady will never deliver the kind of dominant playoff performance we got from EK in 17.

He simply doesn't have the talent to do so.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
exactly .. We are talking about Matthew Tkachuk not other players surnamed Matthews.

My point was not wanting to sign a long term deal, would mean no "C" imo. I wouldn't make him "C" if he isn't going to commit to the team long term. I take it that you think 3 years is long enough

Maybe giving him the “C” can be a helping factor in having him commit long term?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Maybe giving him the “C” can be a helping factor in having him commit long term?

Its a bit shady, but this is a solid tactic on our part imo. Its not cool to play with someones heart strings, and making him a captain absolutely does add some virtual weight onto Brady's shoulders in terms of not wanting to let the tortured fan base that worships him down.

But this is a small market, snowy Canadian fanbase thats being run by an awful human being, and proven liar. And we have to do what we have to do to survive.

Not like its undeserved anyways, on the contrary, hes on track to easily become the most popular Senator of all time if he just keeps being lovable goof/incredible player that he is.

I would never give a pure agitator the C for obvious reasons, they are the villains and the anti heroes of the league.. Even if its Brad Marchand and they considered among the best in the game for other reasons.

But thats not Brady. Although hes going to make his opponents aware hes in the game, to put it nice and kindly. He somehow doesnt ever really even come close to crossing any lines - yet hes still living rent free in his opponents heads, and that living space is only going to keep growing each year....

Hes legitimately clean, and not a villain type character, like his brother sort of trended towards becoming (although he's making an actual effort to come out of the hole that he dug himself into - an experience that Brady can use to draw wisdom from imo).

Not to mention that the refs absolutely adore him already. Im sure being big Walts son got his foot in the door with them, but most of all hes not making them look stupid with cheap shots behind the play, or doing anything other than playing what can be called the dying art of hard nose old school hockey. And its fun to watch for all involved.

Even though hes keeps the refs busy and involved in the game due to the sheer amount of scrums that he generates by himself, its the way that he goes about his business in a lovable and cheeky way that he doesnt offend anyone aside from the opposing team. That respect will keep him drawing far more penalties than hes generating, and therefore hes perfectly suited to still be the teams on ice rep with the refs, despite being a hard nosed player.

Hes my pick for Captain, and I will personally be shocked if he gets passed over.

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
EK delivered that performance as our captain and while injured.

And now Sens “fans” smear his name and legacy.

I don’t really think anyone is smearing his name or his legacy in here. I think everyone loved the time we had him in his prime.

52CBA43E-AD52-40B5-A237-ECC4E170DAF1.jpeg

Brady will make a good captain... but I can’t see it happening for at least until FYOUS and by then we may have another candidate...

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I don’t really think anyone is smearing his name or his legacy in here. I think everyone loved the time we had him in his prime.

View attachment 347371

Brady will make a good captain... but I can’t see it happening for at least until FYOUS and by then we may have another candidate...
Bullshit.

People on here consistently question his leadership and celebrate that our cheap prick owner refused to pay him market value.

Posters look longingly towards Brady's "leadership" and talk about what a monster he will be in the playoffs.

EK was already one of the top few players in the league and then elevated his game, threw the team on his back and gave an epic playoff performance for the ages. In true warrior fashion he did this while injured, sacrificing his health for his teammates, fans, and the city he loves.

His reward? Coming back early the next year and paired with Johnny Freaking Oduya because our POS lying scumbag owner had once again reneged on his promise to spend in spite of making money hand over fist with the playoff run and Vegas money.

When it came time for the criminally underpaid EK to get rewarded with a market value contract, he was vilified for the perfectly reasonable request to be paid what he is worth.

Brady has been overhyped to an unprecedented degree and now the Sens options are to overpay him or create another revolt in the fanbase as he leaves town.

Looks good on them...

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Bullshit.

People on here consistently question his leadership and celebrate that our cheap prick owner refused to pay him market value.

Posters look longingly towards Brady's "leadership" and talk about what a monster he will be in the playoffs.

EK was already one of the top few players in the league and then elevated his game, threw the team on his back and gave an epic playoff performance for the ages. In true warrior fashion he did this while injured, sacrificing his health for his teammates, fans, and the city he loves.

His reward? Coming back early the next year and paired with Johnny Freaking Oduya because our POS lying scumbag owner had once again reneged on his promise to spend in spite of making money hand over fist with the playoff run and Vegas money.

When it came time for the criminally underpaid EK to get rewarded with a market value contract, he was vilified for the perfectly reasonable request to be paid what he is worth.

Brady has been overhyped to an unprecedented degree and now the Sens options are to overpay him or create another revolt in the fanbase as he leaves town.

Looks good on them...

Great opinion, but you are really need to get over the breakup and see that the fruits from the trade were worth it. It's a sport, not a high school love affair.

If anyone is twisting the plot, it is you constantly painting the next generation of Senators as over-hyped.

Brady is awesome and on a great trajectory to lead this team into the playoffs once again. This is a young team without the elite teammates that the previous generation played with. Brady is doing really well.

Have a read through this article, and try not to be so biased on the future is nigh... also, please spare me the political EM bullshit when responding. Work on talking about the player.

Early-Career Comparison: Tkachuk vs Stone

In fact, Brady Tkachuk has been among the league-leaders in xG for much of the season, at times posting higher percentages than the likes of Connor McDavid, Alex Ovechkin, and Auston Matthews.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Great opinion, but you are really need to get over the breakup and see that the fruits from the trade were worth it. It's a sport, not a high school love affair.

If anyone is twisting the plot, it is you constantly painting the next generation of Senators as over-hyped.

Brady is awesome and on a great trajectory to lead this team into the playoffs once again. This is a young team without the elite teammates that the previous generation played with. Brady is doing really well.

Have a read through this article, and try not to be so biased on the future is nigh... also, please spare me the political EM bullshit when responding. Work on talking about the player.

Early-Career Comparison: Tkachuk vs Stone

In fact, Brady Tkachuk has been among the league-leaders in xG for much of the season, at times posting higher percentages than the likes of Connor McDavid, Alex Ovechkin, and Auston Matthews.
Brady generates shot attempts, but lacks the skill to capitalize on this strength.

.62 ppg — 120th in forwards who played more than 10 games.

Please attempt to stick to facts. I’ve pointed out the fact that Brady is massively overhyped. I did not apply this to anyone else.

And it is impossible to discuss the team’s actions or likely future choices without discussing Eugene Melnyk, no matter how hard you try to suppress all discussion of the black cloud that hangs over this franchise.

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Brady generates shot attempts, but lacks the skill to capitalize on this strength.

.62 ppg — 120th in forwards who played more than 10 games.

Great stuff. Here are some quotes from my friends at the Hockeywriters

However, it isn’t Tkachuk’s scoring that makes him such a prize. He takes after his father, Keith, who was a poster child for how a power forward should be defined. And, son Brady follows in dad’s heralded footprints. The young Tkachuk has proven he’s willing to get his hands dirty and isn’t afraid to visit the penalty box if he needs to. He’s a hard-nosed young player who dishes out the hits and takes no prisoners. He plays a physical brand of hockey.

Scoring Can Be Feast or Famine as a Young Player on a Rebuilding Team: on Oct. 27, Tkachuk scored a goal and two assists (and also had six hits) as he led his team to a 5-2 win over the San Jose Sharks. That game showed the kind of player the young Tkachuk will likely become. He’s an offensive threat who plays with a physical edge that sets the tone for his team. The win against the Sharks was game No. 11 of the season, and his totals showed that he had almost as many hits (40 in total) as shots on goal (42 in total).

Obviously, being on a rebuilding roster limits any player’s ability to score. Currently, for example, the Senators are dead last in the NHL in power-play goals with only 16 in 45 games. In contrast, the Boston Bruins, Edmonton Oilers, and Vancouver Canucks lead the NHL with 41 power-play goals. That’s a huge difference and shows how the Senators’ lack of scoring impacts its stars.

Try to be more like Pierre Dorion and see the talent that is under this veil of a rebuild.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Great stuff. Here are some quotes from my friends at the Hockeywriters

However, it isn’t Tkachuk’s scoring that makes him such a prize. He takes after his father, Keith, who was a poster child for how a power forward should be defined. And, son Brady follows in dad’s heralded footprints. The young Tkachuk has proven he’s willing to get his hands dirty and isn’t afraid to visit the penalty box if he needs to. He’s a hard-nosed young player who dishes out the hits and takes no prisoners. He plays a physical brand of hockey.

Scoring Can Be Feast or Famine as a Young Player on a Rebuilding Team: on Oct. 27, Tkachuk scored a goal and two assists (and also had six hits) as he led his team to a 5-2 win over the San Jose Sharks. That game showed the kind of player the young Tkachuk will likely become. He’s an offensive threat who plays with a physical edge that sets the tone for his team. The win against the Sharks was game No. 11 of the season, and his totals showed that he had almost as many hits (40 in total) as shots on goal (42 in total).

Obviously, being on a rebuilding roster limits any player’s ability to score. Currently, for example, the Senators are dead last in the NHL in power-play goals with only 16 in 45 games. In contrast, the Boston Bruins, Edmonton Oilers, and Vancouver Canucks lead the NHL with 41 power-play goals. That’s a huge difference and shows how the Senators’ lack of scoring impacts its stars.

Try to be more like Pierre Dorion and see the talent that is under this veil of a rebuild.
You were able to find a Brady Hype article? Man that must have been difficult.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
You were able to find a Brady Hype article? Man that must have been difficult.

I know. The Sens are well connected to the media and pay regularly to have their low stock players hyped. :naughty:

Here’s some MOAR for you from Silver Sevens:

Perhaps the biggest factor in Tkachuk’s transition into the NHL was his relationship, both on and off the ice, with Mark Stone. Their chemistry was immediate and noticeable: they were the only two Sens to post a positive CF% for the season and their line with Colin White dominated in the way you’d expect a good first line to. There was concern for Tkachuk’s play after the loss of his mentor in a mid-season trade, and while there was an adjustment period, overall Tkachuk continued to progress and impress on his own merit. He finished his rook campaign with 22 goals and 45 points in 71 games played.

As Tkachuk fully grows and gains more experience, he has the potential to be a staple of not only the team but one of the stars of the league. Some fans are already calling him for to be named Captain and while I think he’s too young and inexperienced, he certainly does possess the qualities to become a leader in the room in a very short period of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->