Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 4 - A new hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
There should be no captain for the next year or so. Wait until you can see how this team gels and then you can identify who is captain material.

At this point my choice would be Chabot. However, there is no one on the team that stands out as a clear cut leader.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How Mark Stone was treated by Eugene Melnyk will no doubt impact Brady Tkachuk down the line. They're good friends, mentor and mentee. Tkachuk's uncle is Stone's agent. That entire family knows what went on.

These things matter. What happened with Alfredsson, and Turris, during contract negotiations was a big contributor to the animosity that grew between Melnyk and Karlsson over the years.

Let's hope it's not the same this time around.
there legit precedence for this. chara didn't like how hossa was treated by management. karlsson didn't like how Alfie was treated..

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Pretty much everyone sees that, maybe except for 'Answer'.

It doesn't matter what everyone sees or wants to believe. You act as it is a sure thing that he is going to be a beast when he fills out (if he fills out). For all we know he fills out and still be as weak as Bobby Ryan.

Age and being weak (as he is) has nothing to do with showing skating ability, shooting ability and stick-handling ability, like other talented 19-20 year old players show. He just doesn't have the high-end skill, and it very apparent.

Everyone is also forgetting the fact that we chose him over Hughes that we could've drafted this year, and everyone with 2 cents of knowledge knew that we will draft 1st overall. I was crying out for us to let the 4th overall pick go to Colorado and save this year's pick to draft a true #1 center with high-end skill that we can actually build this team around. Tkachuk is no where near the player a team should be built around, and is not what we needed as this point in time.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It doesn't matter what everyone sees or wants to believe. You act as it is a sure thing that he is going to be a beast when he fills out (if he fills out). For all we know he fills out and still be as weak as Bobby Ryan.

Age and being weak (as he is) has nothing to do with showing skating ability, shooting ability and stick-handling ability, like other talented 19-20 year old players show. He just doesn't have the high-end skill, and it very apparent.

Everyone is also forgetting the fact that we chose him over Hughes that we could've drafted this year, and everyone with 2 cents of knowledge knew that we will draft 1st overall. I was crying out for us to let the 4th overall pick go to Colorado and save this year's pick to draft a true #1 center with high-end skill that we can actually build this team around. Tkachuk is no where near the player a team should be built around, and is not what we needed as this point in time.
Meh at worse we drafted our Tom Wilson,and its not written in stone that Hughes will become some superstar talent either

Reactions: The Brady Bunch

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
there legit precedence for this. chara didn't like how hossa was treated by management. karlsson didn't like how Alfie was treated..

I suspect Stone, Duchene and Dzingle's decisions also considered this line of thought, hopefully we get a new owner before the next waive of young guys come up for contract.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Meh at worse we drafted our Tom Wilson,and its not written in stone that Hughes will become some superstar talent either

At least he has superstar potential! Tkachuk ceiling is way below that.

And, it's not written in stones that Tkachuk will become what you all expect him to become either, right?

I'd take my chances with Hughes, any day of the week. I am pretty sure everyone would.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

This is ridiculous given if they finish last there is absolutely no guarantee of getting the 1st pick. If you want to debate it after we know our pick position then go ahead. Right now it’s an unknown, they could be picking 4th. They didn’t choose Tkachuk over Hughes.

Reactions: aragorn

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

And, it's not written in stones that Tkachuk will become what you all expect him to become either, right?

I'd take my chances with Hughes, any day of the week. I am pretty sure everyone would.
MacD had superstar potential ...Hughes is no where near that level

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Tom Wilson has superstar potential? OK then! Also go back and read what they said about Wilson in his draft year; he certainly wasn't considered anywhere as good or skilled as BT.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
MacD had superstar potential ...Hughes is no where near that level

I just know he has 1C potential which is more than fine for me. He has a real good chance of being as good as Duchene to say that least, and that's pretty darn good.

When going full rebuild, that is what we needed. I don't understand how the management completely failed to see this.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I just know he has 1C potential which is more than fine for me. He has a real good chance of being as good as Duchene to say that least, and that's pretty darn good.

When going full rebuild, that is what we needed. I don't understand how the management completely failed to see this.
Tkachuk is a great piece ,and his style of play does win you big games...Now its too bad we may give up Hughes to get him ,but Iam still happy we have him

Reactions: Frank8

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Because we are still more likely to draft 3/4 than 1/2 and the team was desperate for hope and cheap pros

Also they foolishly believed we would not be the worst team in the league

Tkachuk is a great piece ,and his style of play does win you big games...Now its too bad we may give up Hughes to get him ,but Iam still happy we have him

Me too

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Tom Wilson has superstar potential? OK then! Also go back and read what they said about Wilson in his draft year; he certainly wasn't considered anywhere as good or skilled as BT.

I am talking about Hughes and Tkachuk. I don't know why you are bringing up Tom Wilson? Tom Wilson is irrelevant to what Hughes is going to become. Those two things are not connected in any way or form.

If Brady is so great and is a high-end talent, then he should've gone 1st overall, even ahead of Dahlin. How can a power-forward who plays his heart out and has skill-sets to score 80 points in NHL wasn't even on many pro's top 5 draft list? I tell you why! Because he doesn't have that offensive skills, just tangibles and a safe bet to make it to the NHL, and have a long career, even has a 3rd liner. Not what you draft when going through a major rebuild, when the other option is to have a chance to draft a talent like Hughes.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Key word chance to draft.
If Sens finish last, 83% chance they don’t pick first.
Who do take if they pick fourth again, 2018 or 2019 fourth.
I’m taking Chuckie.

Reactions: The Brady Bunch

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.

It shouldn't be this difficult to comprehend.

Everyone would take Hughes over Tkachuk, no question. But that wasn't the situation. If we assumed we would be dead last, we have a 50/50 chance at picking at #4 vs the top 3 combined, and only a 20% chance for #1. If we finished any position higher, those odds continue to drop. Every thing had to go wrong to be able to pick Hughes, and we still aren't sure that option would have been available to us.

We took a guaranteed #4 instead of chancing it. It's as simple as that.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I’m taking Chuckie.

It really sucks to admit but they probably made the right call with keeping the pick and taking Tkachuk.

We won't know for a while but it was a rational play for sure. I think it was reasonable to expect this year to go better and not finish dead last: losing our top C, D and G at the same time really hurt.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’m taking Chuckie.
I take either the #1D in Byram or 1 of the big C's in Dach/Cozens if it falls to 3rd/4th. Turcotte is a big time C prospect as well. If it's 1/2 it's easily Hughes/Kakko.

Tkachuk slides in somewhere with that group, but as a rebuilding team I take a C/D over a winger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad