Confirmed with Link: Braden Holtby to Dallas Stars (1 year, $2M AAV)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Spezza got 90 as well. Rads too.

They're more flexible with veterans ( especially high profile veterans ) but young guys aren't really allowed to play around with high numbers if they're expected to be on NHL roster at some point in the year. Vals #43 was a notable exception .

Wonder if they'll allow Karlströms #81 he wore in Sweden. My guess is no.

Reactions: LT

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Spezza got 90 as well. Rads too.

Yeah in terms of actual players the list isn’t that long for high numbers with Nill controlling things:
Seguin
Spezza
Hemsky
And now Holtby
I guess you can stretch it with Rads and Gonchar.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Seguin and Spezza was also mostly because #19 is retired here

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
You guys are overthinking the numbers a bit . They have miro number 4 because he’s a franchise d . I doubt anyone else is told what number they should to wear .

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Nill made the changes to numbers lower when the new jerseys came out. Roussell was made to change to 21 and even offered to pay the people that had a different number on their jersey so they could get it changed. Nill only lets the veterans have higher numbers.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Nill made the changes to numbers lower when the new jerseys came out. Roussell was made to change to 21 and even offered to pay the people that had a different number on their jersey so they could get it changed. Nill only lets the veterans have higher numbers.

Sometimes prospects and AHL guys who have higher numbers suprisingly make the NHL and you'll see younger players with wierd numbers in game but thats rare. Kero and his #64 actually playing this much was certainly not planned.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
has he ever said why?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
You guys are overthinking the numbers a bit . They have miro number 4 because he’s a franchise d . I doubt anyone else is told what number they should to wear .

Most guys come in and say the team just gave them a number, without giving them much choice, but some vets get consideration for favorite numbers, even if the younger guy has to give it up. Case by case basis.

Nill never liked the high numbers, a la 99, 66, etc., once saying it put the spotlight on individuals rather than the team. I guess he just likes traditional numbers, and doesn't feel like he has a big enough superstar to provide numbers that stand out. Segs has 91, but that was only because he is close to superstar status, and his 19 was taken.

Also, I think there are some general conventions, like goalies being either 1 or in the 30's, D being single digit,20's or 40's (Harley will have 55 and Zubov was 56, for example. Forwards being almost anything over 20. There are plenty of exceptions to the general rule, though.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
this just seems dumb. choose your battles. who gives a shit what number a player wears? as superstitious as so many guys are, it's one less thing for them to worry about.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
this just seems dumb. choose your battles. who gives a shit what number a player wears? as superstitious as so many guys are, it's one less thing for them to worry about.

Most guys don't really care about numbers. They'll take whats available. Stars IRC give out a pool of available numbers to newcomers and then players can chose from those. Special choices probably need to go through the team or if you want to change your number. New prospects usually get numbers assigned since it's not clear when they actually make the NHL

With things like Hanley taking #44 instead of #39 because that was his deceased brothers jersey number for example there was unlikely to be a problem or if a veteran has a special number he like Holtby with #70 or Radulov with #47 or Jagr and #68 because nobody will tell Jagr not to wear #68

Last edited:

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Most guys come in and say the team just gave them a number, without giving them much choice, but some vets get consideration for favorite numbers, even if the younger guy has to give it up. Case by case basis.

Nill never liked the high numbers, a la 99, 66, etc., once saying it put the spotlight on individuals rather than the team. I guess he just likes traditional numbers, and doesn't feel like he has a big enough superstar to provide numbers that stand out. Segs has 91, but that was only because he is close to superstar status, and his 19 was taken.

Also, I think there are some general conventions, like goalies being either 1 or in the 30's, D being single digit,20's or 40's (Harley will have 55 and Zubov was 56, for example. Forwards being almost anything over 20. There are plenty of exceptions to the general rule, though.

I don't know why, but the idea that anyone would play with 56 again for this team really annoys me.

Seguin can't wear 19 because it's retired for Bill Masterton. Bill Masterton - Wikipedia

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Considering it is being retired this season, I don't think it is anything you need to worry about anymore.

It already had been un-officially retired since Zubov retired. McKenna said it was just not among the available numbers when he got to chose his when he signed with the Stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad