Confirmed with Link: Braden Holtby to Dallas Stars (1 year, $2M AAV)

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
It was a good rookie season but his play on breakaways and in OT and the shootout left alot to be desired. Not faulting him though.
For sure, but he can grow into that, and should still do really well this year, especially with the defense squad we have now.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
and should still do really well this year

We can certainly hope that he plays well, but given the long history of rookie goaltenders having a setback in their 2nd year, I don't blame Nill for not being willing to risk his job on Otter being ready for a full-time starter position in an 82 game, squashed schedule season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
We can certainly hope that he plays well, but given the long history of rookie goaltenders having a setback in their 2nd year, I don't blame Nill for not being willing to risk his job on Otter being ready for a full-time starter position in an 82 game, squashed schedule season.

He does though because Holtby is a bad joke, no NHL goalie, let alone competition for Oettinger. Khudobin isn't either if he plays the way he played last season.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He does though because Holtby is a bad joke, no NHL goalie, let alone competition for Oettinger. Khudobin isn't either if he plays the way he played last season.

Now I would agree that Holtby hasn't been particularly impressive in recent years and is rather a backup at this point, but if you are only stat watching that can also give a wrong impression. Last season he had to suffer through All-Star Game level defensive play in the final weeks as the COVID Canucks were just waiting for the season to end.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’m sure Holtby can look fine behind our defence, but this deal still makes no sense to me. We had a duo that played well last year at a stupid low cap hit (4.250M) with the potential of Bishop coming back at some point this season. Now their is a 95% chance that the best goalie of the three, Oettinger, will be playing in the AHL next season. I do not see the old school duo of Nill and Bowness sending down one of the veteran goalies despite performance

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
I’m sure Holtby can look fine behind our defence, but this deal still makes no sense to me. We had a duo that played well last year at a stupid low cap hit (4.250M) with the potential of Bishop coming back at some point this season. Now their is a 95% chance that the best goalie of the three, Oettinger, will be playing in the AHL next season. I do not see the old school duo of Nill and Bowness sending down one of the veteran goalies despite performance
i wonder if this is some kind of motivational spur for oettinger?

there are just so many unknowns with health considerations, insurance considerations, and trade possibilities.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
i wonder if this is some kind of motivational spur for oettinger?

there are just so many unknowns with health considerations, insurance considerations, and trade possibilities.

I have really no idea. If anything I see this having a negative impact as he’s gone from facing NHL quality players the past 12 months and doing well to potentially AHL talent. Seems pointless when there were so many other areas of need

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Nill saying "we'll see where it's at in training camp" seems like a dodge. If we take him at his word, and presume Bishop is known to be going to LTIR (which, given all the other over the cap signings seems fair) then I can only hope that he has no problem putting Holtby in TX, if Otter outshines him in camp.

I do get the need for another goalie, as Nill reminded us that when Bishop went down, it was great we had Otter (probably coming to NHL a year or two before they had him scheduled.) With only two healthy goalies, you are one injury away from a big problem, and I gather Scheel and Point/Bow are not considered NHL options anymor, so voila, Holtby came cheap. A former Cup and Vezina winner in goal in Austin might be just to spur ticket sales there, who knows. (I once went to see the St. Paul Saints, when they brought in washed up Dwight Gooden and Daryl Strawberry as a publicity stunt)

Archgoat

Sep 29, 2011
Nill saying "we'll see where it's at in training camp" seems like a dodge. If we take him at his word, and presume Bishop is known to be going to LTIR (which, given all the other over the cap signings seems fair) then I can only hope that he has no problem putting Holtby in TX, if Otter outshines him in camp.

I do get the need for another goalie, as Nill reminded us that when Bishop went down, it was great we had Otter (probably coming to NHL a year or two before they had him scheduled.) With only two healthy goalies, you are one injury away from a big problem, and I gather Scheel and Point/Bow are not considered NHL options anymor, so voila, Holtby came cheap. A former Cup and Vezina winner in goal in Austin might be just to spur ticket sales there, who knows. (I once went to see the St. Paul Saints, when they brought in washed up Dwight Gooden and Daryl Strawberry as a publicity stunt)

There is a 0% chance that Holtby will be playing in Austin this year. It is either going to be trading Dobby or Otter in the AHL (a mistake in my opinion).

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Yeah, Nill doesn't do that to vets. If he can't find someone to take Khudobin or Holtby off of his hands via trade or waivers, Nill will just send Oettinger down or carry three goalies on the roster.

Arkham32

Nov 9, 2012
I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about do we really want to run into next season with our own version of Brian Elliot and Carter Hart with no insurance plan? Its a one year contract giving us cushion in what might be the final year of the championship window as good as oettinger is there's no guarantee that he's a starter yet and that Khudobin bounces back. If Oettinger isn't ready and Khudobin doesn't bounce back we pretty much just wasted the last year of the cup window. Better to be safe then sorry.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think if Holtby had signed for the league min or in general an amount that is 100% buriable everybody here would be saying great deal. If the team is cool with potentially buriying Holtby in the AHL if he sucks in camp and pre-season i'm absolutely fine with that deal. Nice insurance policy .

If the team isn't ? Well thats when it becomes an issue.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about do we really want to run into next season with our own version of Brian Elliot and Carter Hart with no insurance plan? Its a one year contract giving us cushion in what might be the final year of the championship window as good as oettinger is there's no guarantee that he's a starter yet and that Khudobin bounces back. If Oettinger isn't ready and Khudobin doesn't bounce back we pretty much just wasted the last year of the cup window. Better to be safe then sorry.

Fans always seem to think their shiny new goalie prospect couldn't possibly have a setback in year 2, completely ignoring recent history.

Reactions: eartotheground

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
My complaint has been put in an envelope to be opened a few weeks into the season if Nill is still carrying three goalies on the roster.

Reactions: serp

Archgoat

Sep 29, 2011
Fans always seem to think their shiny new goalie prospect couldn't possibly have a setback in year 2, completely ignoring recent history.

That very well could be the case, but I think he played well enough that he should have earned at least the backup roll for next season. Maybe the Stars don't feel that is the case, or maybe they don't have confidence in Khudobin. Time will tell. My concern is more along the lines of they know Otter is AHL eligible, so they will just put him there regardless of his play in camp.

Arkham32

Nov 9, 2012
That very well could be the case, but I think he played well enough that he should have earned at least the backup roll for next season. Maybe the Stars don't feel that is the case, or maybe they don't have confidence in Khudobin. Time will tell. My concern is more along the lines of they know Otter is AHL eligible, so they will just put him there regardless of his play in camp.

There's nothing wrong with keeping him in the AHL hes 22 and had 44 pro games before being called up to the NHL. Getting one final year as the go to starter in the AHL will not stunt his growth and will probably help it. Its probably how the Stars feel too its almost like a win win if he is good enough great hes in the NHL, if he doesnt grab the spot thats okay take one final year iron out the wrinkles and be a workhorse goalie in the AHL that we are projecting you to be in the NHL the year after. Goalies always take longer to develop 22 is really young for a goalie, there's just been so many star goalies coming up changing the notion kind of like Miro Makar and Hughes did for dmen but they are the outliers not the standard.

Reactions: webby72

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
There's nothing wrong with keeping him in the AHL hes 22 and had 44 pro games before being called up to the NHL. Getting one final year as the go to starter in the AHL will not stunt his growth and will probably help it. Its probably how the Stars feel too its almost like a win win if he is good enough great hes in the NHL, if he doesnt grab the spot thats okay take one final year iron out the wrinkles and be a workhorse goalie in the AHL that we are projecting you to be in the NHL the year after. Goalies always take longer to develop 22 is really young for a goalie, there's just been so many star goalies coming up changing the notion kind of like Miro Makar and Hughes did for dmen but they are the outliers not the standard.
bUt HiS pSyChE wIlL bE dAmAgEd FoReVeR!!!1

Reactions: Arkham32 and cizko

Archgoat

Sep 29, 2011

I don't disagree with you, but if he is a better option than Holtby and Khudobin, he shouldn't be in the AHL. I am not saying that will be the case, but just worry it may be. Honestly, with how our defense looks on paper next year, I think most goalies should be able to perform pretty well behind it.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't disagree with you, but if he is a better option than Holtby and Khudobin, he shouldn't be in the AHL. I am not saying that will be the case, but just worry it may be. Honestly, with how our defense looks on paper next year, I think most goalies should be able to perform pretty well behind it.

The team very much is going somewhat all in for this year. The best goalie in camp and pre-season will play. If thats Oettinger well someone else has to be moved.

Reactions: webby72

Arkham32

Nov 9, 2012
Yeah i'm not too worried about Oettinger getting screwed, if he wins the position I think he will stick in the NHL. Nill will take whoever gives us the best chance. This goaltending battle is going to be strictly business All 3 will have to earn what they want which should cause better performances from all.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
So Holtby couldn't take the number he'd had his whole career (70) to the Canucks and used #49. I just looked and Gardner has #49 and it looks like no one on the Dallas roster has 70. I'm hoping that it means that Holtby will be able to take 70 back, unless there's some Stars history with that number that won't allow it that I don't know about.

I'm not a long-time hockey buff. I didn't get into hockey until the 2012 playoffs. It was actually Holtby pretty much getting the Caps past the defending Cup champs Bruins despite having played only a few games in the NHL that made me a fan of the game.

Zapp

Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
So Holtby couldn't take the number he'd had his whole career (70) to the Canucks and used #49. I just looked and Gardner has #49 and it looks like no one on the Dallas roster has 70. I'm hoping that it means that Holtby will be able to take 70 back, unless there's some Stars history with that number that won't allow it that I don't know about.

I'm not a long-time hockey buff. I didn't get into hockey until the 2012 playoffs. It was actually Holtby pretty much getting the Caps past the defending Cup champs Bruins despite having played only a few games in the NHL that made me a fan of the game.

Reactions: JenniferH

serp

Jan 17, 2016

The team rarely allows higher numbers. I think Seguin right was the only player last year with a number over 50 ( Kero might've had a wierd high number ). Mostly higher numbers are assined to prospects and AHL players not expected to ever make the NHL roster .

Damiani theoretically had #70 last season but he was one of the best prospects last year. He'll likely have a much lower more "normal" number this year .

Interesting they allowed #70 for Holtby but i guess for veterans they make exemptions with high numbers.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The team rarely allows higher numbers. I think Seguin right was the only player last year with a number over 50 ( Kero might've had a wierd high number ). Mostly higher numbers are assined to prospects and AHL players not expected to ever make the NHL roster .

Damiani theoretically had #70 last season but he was one of the best prospects last year. He'll likely have a much lower more "normal" number this year .

Interesting they allowed #70 for Holtby but i guess for veterans they make exemptions with high numbers.

Spezza got 90 as well. Rads too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad