Confirmed with Link: Braden Holtby to Dallas Stars (1 year, $2M AAV)

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
The tough thing is that it's announced, so you might lose leverage on a possible Khudobin trade. That said, the Stars probably objectively think better goaltending might have won them those one-goal games and they may be betting a little bit on the idea that Holtby's off-year was an anomaly, fueled by adjustment to a new team that underperformed on the whole, travelled in-division more than he was used to, and went through some scary COVID-19 times. If he can find the form that got him that big contract, he's a steal at $2 million and a stop-gap until Oettinger is ready to be the guy full time.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Too expensive as an insurance policy for my taste . The team probably needs a third goalie who can play NHL games but does he need to be paid 2 million ?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
a) Can we stuff Holtby or Bishop in the AHL if we need to?
b) Maybe Nill reads these boards and thinks whoever posted that moving Dobby for a cheap backup to save a few mil was a great idea? If so, kudos to that poster (to lazy to look it up right now) because I thought the idea was just flat out crazy, or at least highly unlikely.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
a) Can we stuff Holtby or Bishop in the AHL if we need to?
b) Maybe Nill reads these boards and thinks whoever posted that moving Dobby for a cheap backup to save a few mil was a great idea? If so, kudos to that poster (to lazy to look it up right now) because I thought the idea was just flat out crazy, or at least highly unlikely.
You can but it only fees up a little more than 1 million off their hit ( bishop would have to waive his NMC for him to go to the ahl)

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
If Bish really is washed up, its probably no different for him to collect his money sitting in Austin (if even required to live there if on LTIR) that it is for him to sit here?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The tough thing is that it's announced, so you might lose leverage on a possible Khudobin trade. That said, the Stars probably objectively think better goaltending might have won them those one-goal games and they may be betting a little bit on the idea that Holtby's off-year was an anomaly, fueled by adjustment to a new team that underperformed on the whole, travelled in-division more than he was used to, and went through some scary COVID-19 times. If he can find the form that got him that big contract, he's a steal at $2 million and a stop-gap until Oettinger is ready to be the guy full time.

Holtby didn't just have one off year. His last good season was in 16/17. The next two seasons he had some very rough stretches where he hardly stopped a puck and lost his gig to Grubauer or Copley. Still played a lot of games but he was trending down already. He was downright awful the last two years. Both Oettinger and Khudobin are far far better than Holtby. I'm not the greatest Khudobin fan but to trade him and have Holtby backing up Oettinger would be quite a move. Getting Holtby to demote Oettinger would be downright dumb. So I agree this doesn't make sense at all. Holtby is horrible and has only gotten worse for 5 years now. He's not gonna rebound and shouldn't be earning 2 millions anywhere right now.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Unless they are tanking for the next year's draft, in which case Holtby should start 80% of the games. LOL.

This will be interesting, given the Stars have a pretty good rep of being fair with the players. Relegating Otter back to Texas would be as bad a player relations move as trading Fleury without telling him. If it sours Otter, I wonder if it might also affect his play (for the Stars) if and when he returns. (okay, maybe Simone B influenced that thought today, but she may have started a whole trend of athletes showing up for work and deciding to take a mental health day....)

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
There is no leverage with Khudobin. Nill isn't getting anything of note back for him. If he fetches a 5th rounder, consider it a win.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I don’t see Oettinger not being one of our top 2. If Bishop is done and Holtby is the backup I wouldn’t mind Nill packaging Faksa with Khudobin to a team interested in Faksa and has the cap.

Reactions: Canterano

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Nice knowing ya dobby .

I get it. It would be about saving cap. Still. Have a washed up Holtby backing up Oettinger...I don't know about that one. Again, Holtby has been awful for years. If Khudobin is traded, Bishop better be back soon.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Not sure how I feel about Holtby being relied upon if Dobby is traded and Bish is done for. Scary thought given how Holtby’s last few years have gone.

who knows, maybe Holtby can regain his form playing under our defensive system.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I get it. It would be about saving cap. Still. Have a washed up Holtby backing up Oettinger...I don't know about that one. Again, Holtby has been awful for years. If Khudobin is traded, Bishop better be back soon.
Dobby was bad last year . I’d rather holtby .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad