Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Marner had 2 years left on his deal last summer.

That's 2 playoff runs, plus an 8-year extension - you're potentially acquiring Marner for a decade.

They shopped Nylander last summer though, that much is certain. So I don't buy this idea that they refused to move off the core, they just didn't like the return Nylander was netting them, so instead of exploring how that return might change had they moved Marner instead, they just shut up shop.

A horrible mistake, depending on how the next few months play out.
We'll simply have to agree to disagree about the timing of moving Marner because I don't think it should have been on the table last offseason after he was the team's most productive player in the playoffs.

Last season's exit was about not getting enough out of just about anyone beyond the core (ROR and Knies being the exceptions). This season's exit was about the core either being underwhelming (Marner, Tavares, Rielly) or unavailable at times (Matthews, Nylander). Management might have very well made their bed and bet with the core and the NMCs, but replacing the coach is the one thing they could've done and should've done (and have obviously now just about done).

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Montour is no more physical than Rielly. He's probably worse defensively. He's had one good year running a PP. They're also the exact same age.

We aren't solving anything by replacing Rielly with Montour.
Ha ha. Very funny. Montour is way tougher than the cream puff name Morgan Rielly. And he can actually shoot the puck.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

myleafs

May 25, 2021
It's been said Shanny vetoed Dubas on several trades. Dubas said last year before being let go that he was open to anything regarding changing the team ,including breaking up the core. From what was rumored, that was likely one of the reasons Dubas and Shanny parted ways. They likely didn't see eye to eye and Dubas wanted more autonomy. Tre was likely told by Shanny, that he wasn't to move Marner
He def did not say it like that with that sort of clarity.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Because I have no doubt that Shanahan is the guy in charge of the core.
He only seemed to be open to it this year when a higher position employee was sitting beside him. The first time in 10 years.

I believe Tre was mandated to whatever he wanted except…

Imo Tre wouldn't have taken the job if he didn't share something pretty close to Shanny's vision for.thr team, so I don't quite buy that there's going to be significant divergences between the two (not that you were necessarily suggesting that to be the case).

The biggest lesson is that Shanny (and by extension ownership) should have made up their mind about the GM during the 2022 offseason. Either to have extended Dubas then or fired him and locked in a replacement then.

What we had unfold last offseason was close to the worst case scenario of a scramble to rebuild the front office mere weeks before the draft, which id agree prevented or at least constrained any potential major roster decisions from happening

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
He def did not say it like that with that sort of clarity.

He said he wouldn't take anything off the table. I read that as he was willing to trade a core piece. I don't recall him saying anything like that in previous years.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

He said he wouldn't take anything off the table. I read that as he was willing to trade a core piece. I don't recall him saying anything like that in previous years.
Weren’t there reports that Shanahan called the core and said they were safe?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Imo Tre wouldn't have taken the job if he didn't share something pretty close to Shanny's vision for.thr team, so I don't quite buy that there's going to be significant divergences between the two (not that you were necessarily suggesting that to be the case).

The biggest lesson is that Shanny (and by extension ownership) should have made up their mind about the GM during the 2022 offseason. Either to have extended Dubas then or fired him and locked in a replacement then.

What we had unfold last offseason was close to the worst case scenario of a scramble to rebuild the front office mere weeks before the draft, which id agree prevented or at least constrained any potential major roster decisions from happening
I think Pelley became a wildcard in your outline. Shanny and Tre were probably on the same page in running the core back but all of a sudden a new player emerged on the scene.
Then the narrative from Shanahan dramatically changed at the presser. Perhaps he came to a realization on his own or maybe his new boss was giving him the word of change. Just my speculation of course.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Ha ha. Very funny. Montour is way tougher than the cream puff name Morgan Rielly. And he can actually shoot the puck.

last 3 years in playoff series

Montour 11 goal 24 pts 0 27 goal/game and 0.59 pts/game.. 33 goal allowed in 41 game. 0.8 goal every goal against at EV

rielly 7 goal 21 points 0.28 goal/ game and 0.84 pts/game16 goal against in 25 game 0,64 goal against/game at EV

considerating how great bobrovsky had been vs leafs goalie in general...

No way moving rielly for montour would make leafs better. When you're thinking than everything is greener at your neighbour, its exactly what you did.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
last 3 years in playoff series

Montour 11 goal 24 pts 0 27 goal/game and 0.59 pts/game.. 33 goal allowed in 41 game. 0.8 goal every goal against at EV

rielly 7 goal 21 points 0.28 goal/ game and 0.84 pts/game16 goal against in 25 game 0,64 goal against/game at EV

considerating how great bobrovsky had been vs leafs goalie in general...

No way moving rielly for montour would make leafs better. When you're thinking than everything is greener at your neighbour, its exactly what you did.
Rielly shouldn’t even be involved at this time in a core change (if that happens). Not until we see however we remake the D, through a core trade or UFA really is fully functional.
I wouldn’t do anything with him this year until Tavares is ready to come off the books next year.

If I’m moving a core piece, that’s the major move this year. Then I see how the return, UFA signings, goalie and any potential young players make us look.

Reactions: LeafEgo

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I cannot disagree that trading Reilly for the right player could be a good thing. We are short of dmen and as a second pairing guy he is useful. We do have Mintin and Cowan coming fir 2nd line center, but maybe not soon enough.
From what I’ve heard Minten is projected to be a third line centre but needs some time with the Marlies first. Cowan more likely projects as a top six forward but probably goes back to London next year. Good players to have in the pipeline but they may need to find a second line centre to take over for Tavares next year if they hope to go beyond the first round in the playoffs.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
We'll simply have to agree to disagree about the timing of moving Marner because I don't think it should have been on the table last offseason after he was the team's most productive player in the playoffs.

Last season's exit was about not getting enough out of just about anyone beyond the core (ROR and Knies being the exceptions). This season's exit was about the core either being underwhelming (Marner, Tavares, Rielly) or unavailable at times (Matthews, Nylander). Management might have very well made their bed and bet with the core and the NMCs, but replacing the coach is the one thing they could've done and should've done (and have obviously now just about done).
It didn't work last year, which was the point.

Nothing has really changed in the past 12 months, yet they are now, finally, in "everything is on the table mode" when they really should have been at that stage last year - that 2nd round showing should have shown them, emphatically, that they aren't anywhere close to where they want to go.

And with the timeline on Marner's NMC, it should have been a priority.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
From what I’ve heard Minten is projected to be a third line centre but needs some time with the Marlies first. Cowan more likely projects as a top six forward but probably goes back to London next year. Good players to have in the pipeline but they may need to find a second line centre to take over for Tavares next year if they hope to go beyond the first round in the playoffs.
There is nothing development wise for Cowan to return to junior next year. Marlies or Leafs, junior is a lateral move, I don’t get it.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Shanny wasn't the one who had an emotional breakdown at his press conference.
"I definitely don't have it in me to go anywhere else," Dubas said. "It'll either be here or it'll be taking time to recalibrate, reflect on the seasons here. You won't see me next week pop up elsewhere. I can't put (my family) through that after this year.“

Two weeks later he’s in Pitt, what a beauty. He’s been a joke human being to me ever since that presser.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
"I definitely don't have it in me to go anywhere else," Dubas said. "It'll either be here or it'll be taking time to recalibrate, reflect on the seasons here. You won't see me next week pop up elsewhere. I can't put (my family) through that after this year.“

Two weeks later he’s in Pitt, what a beauty. He’s been a joke human being to me ever since that presser.
Unfortunately, he has zero integrity.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Re: Tre doing a great job.

Thrown into a tight situation last summer, he's had enough time to evaluate this team. He should know who needs to stay and who needs to go. And with Shanahan, from my view, open to moving one of the higher priced contracts (where he wasn't before), it'll be Tre's biggest test.

If we figure the ones that are moving are one of Tavares/Marner..does (can) he clear those contracts for strictly futures? And then what does he do with the cap space? And if it's for players, how do they fit and what do their contracts look like..

If he doesn't move off of them, how do you sell that to the fans?
What about the goalie situation? 1B in the UFA market or big swing for an established netminder?
How does he tackle the defensive end? That's where most of the work needs to be done.

Hard summer ahead for Tre. But aside from NMC he has options in the goalie trade market and UFA, and there are enough UFA defensemen (currently) that he can upgrade that group.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
There is nothing development wise for Cowan to return to junior next year. Marlies or Leafs, junior is a lateral move, I don’t get it.
He might not get the ice time or play on the PP as a 19 year old with the Leafs. Hopefully he has a good camp and they give him nine games to show he can play top nine minutes. If not, he goes back to London and Continues to develop a 200 foot game, plays and dominates at the WJC and is ready to make a contribution at age 20.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He might not get the ice time or play on the PP as a 19 year old with the Leafs. Hopefully he has a good camp and they give him nine games to show he can play top nine minutes. If not, he goes back to London and Continues to develop a 200 foot game, plays and dominates at the WJC and is ready to make a contribution at age 20.
Marlies?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
30 days is longer than 5 days...

Regardless, I don't blame Treliving for that, I blame Shanny for being an emotional child and making a rash decision on the GM position.

Treliving also could have traded Marner, he had time.

But trading Marner and ending with a 1st round exit or not making the playoffs is potentially a fireable offense, so I don't blame him.

I also question if he'd be allowed to.

What rash decision? Dubas had 5 years here he failed, despite he failed he was offered a contract extension and then pissed around and got fired.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

He's only 19, and he's from North America he can't go to the AHL.

If he were from European he could but he's not so he can't.

Not sure why that rule exists.

Brad just landed the best coach available fantastic hire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad