Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think too many people expect Max to be the reincarnation of Tie.

I think we have to wait and see before we assess any of the deals.

If he had traded Marner for a good package, or convinced Tavares to waive his NMC and traded him for just about anything, I'd be impressed. So far, meh.

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
He's done alright upto this point based on his cap limitations. The true indication of how well his abilities as a GM will be at the trade deadline. Will he be able to maneuver his assets in the most efficient manner to bring in the necessary missing elements for playoff success? Especially with a strong core limited window.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He really hasn't done anything ground breaking so far.

Domi and Bertuzzi are solid signings to potentially be high-scoring complimentary pieces, but it's gonna take a little more than that to make this team legit. BT said he wanted to make some moves on D, still waiting to see those.

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
I totally agree with this. Would have loved either guy back, but it's not like a GM can force a player to stay. ROR and Schenn were both happy to go elsewhere, and that's their choice. And I think keeping Keefe is just Treliving giving himself a bullet to fire later if things don't start great.

What else can be complained about? Klingberg is a risk. But even that could be a huge win as long as he doesn't pull a Barrie.
Is that smart opportunity management to keep Keefe for now, only to fire him later? Babcock wasn't it. Fired too late. Keefe isn't it. He needed to go after the MTL series. To keep around a fall guy that you KNOW to be an element of the problem just to buy yourself time or a second chance just reaks to me of a loser mentality. While I understand it's standard practice, if you have identified part of a problem that you were brought in to fix, then FIX IT!!! This core is basically on borrowed time (pending re-signings). It's now or never to give the team, the organization, and the fans every best possible chance to WIN! No excuses! Firing Keefe after an early round exit (again) does nobody any good after the core 4 walk in FA, except for the GM who gets to go "well we blew it and we're essentially now in rebuild mode. Guess I'll can the coach."

Good job being the king of nothing, I guess?

Reactions: geo25

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The only real concern I have so far is that Treliving still hasn't brought in any winners.

For the most part all the old guys the Leafs have brought in over the years were losers their previous teams gave up on. The few winners that did somehow end up here weren't significant enough to make a difference. The result is that the whole team doesn't appear to have what it takes to proceed to the next level.

The most important thing that needs to happen is to figure out how to get over whatever mental hurdle is holding these guys back.

To find out why they all worship at the shrine of failure. Winning might not be everything. Wanting to win is.

They keep score for a reason.

Treliving should get rid of one of the core losers. The blonde hair and blue eyes aren't the only thing Nylander inherited. He for sure got stuck with the loser gene too.

Trading Nylander for a proven impact winner would be a huge success this offseason for Treliving if he could pull it off.

If there was a Nylander trade out there it would be done

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think too many people expect Max to be the reincarnation of Tie.

I think we have to wait and see before we assess any of the deals.

If he had traded Marner for a good package, or convinced Tavares to waive his NMC and traded him for just about anything, I'd be impressed. So far, meh.

Sure trade the 80 point #2 center for "just about anything."

Trading 80 point players is always a good plan.....always

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Nylander and Matthews still aren't signed (or traded) and the D is worse than last year. Not good.
He can sign them to 10M and 14M deals tomorrow if you'd like. It's negotiating, takes time sometimes.

He added Bertuzzi, a legitimate #1LW, and stole him from a divisional rival. He added Max Domi on a cheap deal. Reaves brings some much needed grit and size to the lineup, plus a change in culture. Klingberg is a fine PMD.

Last year we had

Rielly - Schenn
McCabe - Brodie
Giordano - Holl/Lily

Schenn got massively overpaid, unless you want to give him that atrocious contract, we had to let him walk.

The blue line this year, so far looks like

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Klingberg
Giordano - Lily

Reactions: Bluebear

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
He's got to get Matthews signed we all know that but at this point there is not a single thing he's done that we can be heavily critical of.

Bertuzzi and Domi were great signings that give the Leafs a fantastic top 6 instead of a top 4 with 2 guys you hope work out.

Klingberg filled the need for a secondary puck mover.

Reaves is probably signed for a year to long but this team NEEDED a player like him.

Gambell and Jones are both players we know can provide NHL minutes when injury happens.

You got a former NHL assistant coach as your AHL Head Coach.

And a former NHL Head coach as one of your NHL assistant coach with the other assistant being a cup winning assistant coach.

When the worst thing I can say is that Ryan Reaves should have been given a 2 year contract instead of 3 I think that's pretty good.

Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Bertuzzi and his like .5ppg.. yippie
Max Domi sucks
Klingberg bet on himself and lost... twice.
teams get better when Reaves is traded
Martin Jones had an under .900 save.

"great job" :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:.. go back toNHL 23

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
You can’t expect Gio to play a big role this year, so I’m expecting a couple moves with the D core during the season. That’s his biggest challenge.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Sure trade the 80 point #2 center for "just about anything."

Trading 80 point players is always a good plan.....always
Can we afford a 2C making $11M who only manages 41 points at even strength, while playing with one or the other of two of the best right wingers and passers in the league?

Five years ago that money would have been better spent on D and G, and even more so now.

Last year, in 80 games, Tavares had 18 goals and 23 assists at even strength, on a very good team, playing with either Marner or Nylander.
Last year, in 80 games, Domi had 12 goals and 25 assists at even strength, playing most of the season on one of the worst teams in the league.

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
We haven't had a true top 6 LW for quite a while and now we have two maybe three. This will make a huge difference.

What is a true top 6 LW?

Bunting is a true top 6 as much as Domi is, and Hyman (even though he has hands of stone and plays die on his stick often) is on the same level as Bertuzzi.

Can we afford a 2C making $11M who only manages 41 points at even strength, while playing with one or the other of two of the best right wingers and passers in the league?

Five years ago that money would have been better spent on D and G, and even more so now.

Now we love even strength points?

Matthews >> Draisaitl

Love to see it.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
I warmed to him when he said we needed “more snot”. After the linguistic mastery of a Dubas, that was refreshing.

what "snot" did he get? A bum in Reaves? Max Domi and Bertuzzi are not these hitters you guys imagine they are. Hell, neither were top 200 in hits and Tavares had more than them. :laugh::laugh:

Snot he said.. ya, a shitty booger.

I cant wait til the complaining threads in November.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I find these sorts of platitudes meaningless in the middle of summer. Last off season was the 'Summer of Dorion', and if I am not mistaken Treliving was also hailed for some of his transactions as well. We will know he did a bad or good job around March of 2024. Until then enjoy the summer boys.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I find these sorts of platitudes meaningless in the middle of summer. Last off season was the 'Summer of Dorion', and if I am not mistaken Treliving was also hailed for some of his transactions as well. We will know he did a bad or good job around March of 2024. Until then enjoy the summer boys.
Last summer Tre was considered a genius for getting so much back for the malcontents. By the end of the year he was a chump. It does speak to recency bias, but also as you say the “meaningless” of finding definitive statements. I prefer ledgers with my GM’s, so far it’s about even.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Now we love even strength points?

Matthews >> Draisaitl

Love to see it.
If you include PP points, Drai was 50% better than Matty last year.
If you don't, they're about even.

There is value to looking at even strength (where you spend most of your time) separately, especially when you have a player who gets a lot of his points on the PP (for Drai and JT, it was about half last year).

I'm not denigrating the PP, but it can distort the overall picture.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If you include PP points, Drai was 50% better than Matty last year.
If you don't, they're about even.

There is value to looking at even strength (where you spend most of your time) separately, especially when you have a player who gets a lot of his points on the PP (for Drai and JT, it was about half last year).

I'm not denigrating the PP, but it can distort the overall picture.

If you include PP points Tavares was a top 15C...

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If you include PP points Tavares was a top 15C...
Yes, that's my point.

If you don't include them, he barely makes the top 50.

Of the top 30 centers for overall points, he had the fewest at even strength, despite playing almost all his ES time with either Marner or Nylander.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yes, that's my point.

If you don't include them, he barely makes the top 50.

Of the top 30 centers for overall points, he had the fewest at even strength, despite playing almost all his ES time with either Marner or Nylander.

But you can't simply not include PP points because the PP is a key part of the game

Reactions: ACC1224

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
He really hasn't done anything ground breaking so far.

Domi and Bertuzzi are solid signings to potentially be high-scoring complimentary pieces, but it's gonna take a little more than that to make this team legit. BT said he wanted to make some moves on D, still waiting to see those.
Agree.

What he has done so far is only about 20% of what is important for the offseason. Signing Matthews/Marner and deciding to keep/not keep the core together is 80% of it.

Saying he has done well so far technically may be true, but its like taking a test in high school and saying you are doing well so far when you have only completed part of the test and your grade will be based 80% on the parts you haven't done yet.

And yes there is reason to be hopefull with Klingberg, Bertuzzi, and Domi. But all three of them have glaring weaknesses that have caused them to not be top line players, and you are HOPING you are getting the good version of them and not the bad version.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
But you can't simply not include PP points because the PP is a key part of the game
Of course you can, just as you can talk about goals or assists or points, or hits, or shots, or giveaways or takeaways or any other of hundreds of stats.

If you have to include PP points to make a particular player look good, maybe you shouldn't.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad