Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He has shuffled chairs like every year... some good signings and some bad signings.

It is all up to the big players like usual.

He has been fine.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
You're confusing Dumba from a few years ago, before injuries, with the guy now. Today, he's a shadow of what he once was...slower, injury prone and can't score anymore to save his life. But what was everyone bitching about last year? "Power play...Rielly...muffin...need boom!" Matt Dumba was NOT the answer to that by a long shot. Klingberg, for all his defensive deficiencies, is almost a lock for 50+ points. Dumba is in the desert because no-one else, including us, wanted him. And Schenn got a 3x more than he's worth because of a month and a half of good play. No way we were paying what he got for a guy who's career at this point is as a 5th or 6th D, no matter what he looked like in May.
I hear you and agree on both counts, just commenting on the fact that I don't think we got any tougher to play against. Schenn at least inspired physical confidence... Dumba maybe would have done the same. We have not added much in the way of team toughness that I can see. Just more of the same musical chairs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's had a good offseason. The draft is a bit of a question mark still but he likely had minimal influence there.

The 1 year deals are all good, especially the Bertuzzi one. Definitely avoided my biggest fear with him, which was committing bigger contracts to vet support players. The Reeves contract is pretty bad, though the player himself seems a likeable personality. The rest of the deals are fairly standard 2/3 tier offseason depth shuffling that all GMs do

Overall so far so good .

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This team without any deadline upgrades is a second round exit most likely

Need to add physicality in the forward group (hoping to upgrade on Jarnkrok for a physical player with scoring touch at the deadline) and on the back end (losing schenn hurts)

We have some more depth up front but defensively we are going to be pretty soft.

Treliving besides not lettinf 34 and 88 walk for free should be looking at upgrading one of Gio/Brodi/Lilijgren into a physical top 4D

Reactions: geo25

Jun 27, 2005
We haven't had a true top 6 LW for quite a while and now we have two maybe three. This will make a huge difference.

Reactions: The Iceman

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Wings fan coming in peace. I think Bertuzzi is a perfect fit, and I think he'll be a ppg+ player for you during the reg season, as he will play in the top six with better players than he is used to. But it is in the playoffs he'll be really good for you. If he stays healthy, which really is the biggest concern.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Keeping Keefe is a mistake imo. But that’s about all I can critique. I wanted Schenn and ROR back but it looks like his hands were tied. Love all his other moves.

Reactions: banks and geo25

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
We haven't had a true top 6 LW for quite a while and now we have two maybe three. This will make a huge difference.

Also a full season of Knies and a healthy Matthews should be a huge bonus

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
All things considered, anyone worried that Keefe's style of coaching will diminish any physicality that Bertuzzi and Reaves may potentially bring anyway?

Reactions: geo25 and ACC1224

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The only real concern I have so far is that Treliving still hasn't brought in any winners.

For the most part all the old guys the Leafs have brought in over the years were losers their previous teams gave up on. The few winners that did somehow end up here weren't significant enough to make a difference. The result is that the whole team doesn't appear to have what it takes to proceed to the next level.

The most important thing that needs to happen is to figure out how to get over whatever mental hurdle is holding these guys back.

To find out why they all worship at the shrine of failure. Winning might not be everything. Wanting to win is.

They keep score for a reason.

Treliving should get rid of one of the core losers. The blonde hair and blue eyes aren't the only thing Nylander inherited. He for sure got stuck with the loser gene too.

Trading Nylander for a proven impact winner would be a huge success this offseason for Treliving if he could pull it off.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
When was the last time the Leafs didn’t win the off-season Championship?

He has tough job rebuilding the team when he has to keep the valuable resources for at least a year.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I think he mentioned he wanted to improve the defense. Thats a big one for me aside from Matthews/Nylander. Looks like that will happen between now and the TD depending on how their season goes

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Keeping Keefe is a mistake imo. But that’s about all I can critique. I wanted Schenn and ROR back but it looks like his hands were tied. Love all his other moves.

I totally agree with this. Would have loved either guy back, but it's not like a GM can force a player to stay. ROR and Schenn were both happy to go elsewhere, and that's their choice. And I think keeping Keefe is just Treliving giving himself a bullet to fire later if things don't start great.

What else can be complained about? Klingberg is a risk. But even that could be a huge win as long as he doesn't pull a Barrie.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think Shanny played a role with Keefe. Also, this guy came in at literally the worst time, keeping Keefe was the easiest option, given all the important items on his plate. I’m not happy at all he’s back, but it does make sense in the context of these circumstances I suppose.

Is it May yet?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I warmed to him when he said we needed “more snot”. After the linguistic mastery of a Dubas, that was refreshing.
This season’s FA crop was weak and he didn’t give multi year contracts, other than Reaves.

He’ll get money next year if he’s still around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad