Confirmed with Link: Brad Ross leaves TOR Org. Signs in DEL

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The Burke era laid to rest.

Part of the pain of the Burke era was all the wasted picks on truculence etc.Of all the picks he made only Reilly and Kadri made it and only Reilly has lived up to expectations. Ross wanted to improve so he used PED's and got caught, with Burke gone there is no reason for a new regime to support him and he moved on. This might be the best for him as Biggs and Gauthier have to live with being hounded as first round failures.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Ross is also only 23, a lot of players mature at later dates. Some goalies might become quality starters or backups. Some defensemen might because quality bottom pairings. Who knows.

Not every player comes into the NHL at 23 or younger (not saying Ross will ever get there!)

His style of play usually takes longer to develop also. He has to fill out his body a lot to be effective in his role at the pro level. I seriously think that if he didn't use the PED's, he would still be around for another year. If he didn't show any improvements, then yeah, I expected him to be gone. Whatever, good luck Brad Ross. At least your spot can go elsewhere now.

Now we just need to find a taker for Jamie Devane or use him as a 13th forward (I'm fine with either). Maybe Devane + a prospect for Bickell + a pick? Stick Bickell with Holland and Panik on as 2nd line LW?

Last edited:

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
LMFAO @ everyone including Gauthier in Burke's dumb picks... He was picked by Nonis, you guys have only been fans for 2 seasons eh?

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
The legacy of Burke continues to **** the organization.

But there were fans who shrieked to high heaven whenever the blow-hard failure was criticized.

Burke was yet another blow-hard drawn to the Leafs like flies to excrement. Always going for people who are the microcosm of the franchise: full of themselves, riding on hype, shameless to their cores.

Always trying to do it in a half-assed way that has never worked for any other organization. Just get an over-hyped saviour who will keep the dupes happy for a couple of years.

"This time, let's make sure the saviour is insulated against any consequences of any kind."

WE ARE THE LEAFS! WE DEFY HUMAN NATURE! AND OUR TRADITION OF EXCELLENCE PROVES HOW ****ING SUPERIOR AND CORRECT WE ALWAYS ARE! :sarcasm:

OH, SWEET MOTHER OF ****, THIS FRANCHISE PROVIDES EVERLASTING ENTERTAINMENT AND SCHADENFREUDE FOR THOSE WHO LOVE TO SEE THE ARROGANT CONTINUALLY GET THEIR JUST REWARDS!

:laugh:

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
The legacy of Burke continues to **** the organization.

But there were fans who shrieked to high heaven whenever the blow-hard failure was criticized.

Burke was yet another blow-hard drawn to the Leafs like flies to excrement. Always going for people who are the microcosm of the franchise: full of themselves, riding on hype, shameless to their cores.

Always trying to do it in a half-assed way that has never worked for any other organization. Just get an over-hyped saviour who will keep the dupes happy for a couple of years.

"This time, let's make sure the saviour is insulated against any consequences of any kind."

WE ARE THE LEAFS! WE DEFY HUMAN NATURE! AND OUR TRADITION OF EXCELLENCE PROVES HOW ****ING SUPERIOR AND CORRECT WE ALWAYS ARE! :sarcasm:

OH, SWEET MOTHER OF ****, THIS FRANCHISE PROVIDES EVERLASTING ENTERTAINMENT AND SCHADENFREUDE FOR THOSE WHO LOVE TO SEE THE ARROGANT CONTINUALLY GET THEIR JUST REWARDS!

:laugh:
Do you feel better?

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Last 10 Leaf 2nd Rounders

Matthew Finn
Brad Ross
Kenny Ryan
Jesse Blacker
Jimmy Hayes
Nikolay Kulemin
John Doherty
Matt Stajan
Karel Pilar
Kris Vernarsky

Looks like 20% of the picks, problem is there's 6 years of no 2nd rounders between Vernasky and now. Maybe the scouting isn't as bad as it seems.

Dave Morrison became chief scout the day before the 2006 draft, which means that the first draft he was the primary influence on would be 2007. On your list, that cuts out Kulemin and earlier. I don't think Morrison &. Co should be credited with them. That makes the performance of the scouting regime which was just purged less impressive. My chief point in that connection was that the purge was understandable.

A bit more subjective would be the perception that the more recent 2nd rounders haven't even come close.

I certainly concede your point that trading away so many picks was also a problem. As, probably, was player development. There's enough blame to go round!

Last edited:

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Kid played with a lot of moxy but Leafs turfed Carter Ashton and they clearly weren't re-signing this guy after the PED bust.

He's pretty standard 2nd rounder fare. If they got to the 2nd round, and are billed as scoring talent/size, you know that it's a long-shot to begin with.

If someone fits that bill and are looking solid to make the NHL, that player type goes top-15.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
A 2nd round pick isn't worth much. 43rd overall's chance at playing 100 games is about 26%. It's a common mistake to overrate these picks.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Who cares. Is this the guy people over hyped and overrated and thought he was going to be our saviour?

Why does every player who busts, signs, is drafted, retires, or is traded to or from the Leafs have to be a "saviour"?

Brad Ross had promise. It didn't pan out for him or us, as it doesn't pan out for hundreds of drafted players from all 30 teams. Let's just leave it at that, shall we?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Don't know how accurate this is.

How about this: You should get a player with a legitimate chance at becoming an NHL at that draft position. And I'm pretty sure few thought he didn't have a legit chance before we saw him flame out in the A.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
I bet very few questioned this pick back in 2010. The biggest question I recall about him before he turned pro was controlling his temper.

You're wrong, many people questioned if he was good or only a product of his linemates.

I wonder if he was developed wrong, he didn't play a lot with good linemates on the Marlies like in junior if I remember correctly.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Who cares. Is this the guy people over hyped and overrated and thought he was going to be our saviour?

Who the heck labelled him the saviour?

Don't be ridiculous. Nobody said that. Not once. Nobody even insinuated anything of that sorts.

It's comments like this that give HF a bad name.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I think he benefited a lot by playing on some stacked junior teams. In his draft year I think he played on a line with RyJo and Niederreter. In his 42g year, he was with Rattie and Baertschi. He just never could transition into the AHL.

Though I will say, I think that Leipsic is the guy we were hoping Ross would be when we drafted him

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
This is the worst fanbase in sports for wishing a guy well in his departure. Brutal, some of you. The kid didn't pan out here, and will go to Europe, and carve out a professional career there.

How about we wish him well, and look forward?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Don't know how accurate this is.

It's not at all.

How about this: You should get a player with a legitimate chance at becoming an NHL at that draft position. And I'm pretty sure few thought he didn't have a legit chance before we saw him flame out in the A.

I'm not sure an 8.3% chance is what I would call a legitimate chance.

If you are wondering, 8.3% is the number of players who have or will have a very good chance of playing more than 100 NHL games in the draft after Ross was picked, 14/167.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Aren't these guys with 3rd line ceilings supposed to be safe picks? All of them have busted. Why the **** are we drafting them then?

because this org had a history of drafting talentless players with lots of "intangibles". hopefully under this new regime that practice will cease

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Wasn't the Ross pick a panic move by the Leafs? I always have heard that they really wanted Smith-Pelly, but the Ducks took him the pick before Ross.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad