Confirmed with Link: Brad Ross leaves TOR Org. Signs in DEL

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Just another in a long list of players who cant take the next step. Wish him the best. Hope he carves out a decent living playing Hockey.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
you missed Jason Zucker 59th overall, but then you also have guys like Spooner/Marincin/Jarnkrok/Pickard/Klingberg/Mrazek, who basically broke into the league this year and probably will be full time NHLers next year who were picked behind Ross.

I'll give you all those guys, and its still luck when only 14 out of 167 guys after Ross made it. In case you're wondering that's 8.3%

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Not every player is goiing to work out, but it sucks when it's an early round draft pick where the team continually fails.

On a side note, I hope the Marlies get some consistency in that program. This coming year will be the 4th coach in the last 4 years:
Eakins in 2013
Spott in 2014
Dineen in 2015
?? in 2016

It's tough for a player to win a coach over every single year and prove your worth. Get a guy in there for at least 2-3 years.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not every player is goiing to work out, but it sucks when it's an early round draft pick where the team continually fails.

On a side note, I hope the Marlies get some consistency in that program. This coming year will be the 4th coach in the last 4 years:
Eakins in 2013
Spott in 2014
Dineen in 2015
?? in 2016

It's tough for a player to win a coach over every single year and prove your worth. Get a guy in there for at least 2-3 years.

Well to be fair, Eakins was around long before that, and Dineen was an assistant for a while there. It wasn't like some random guy unlike Spott (many of the guys worked with him too). Dubas has said we are going to get a young guy that we will groom (maybe even for 8 years) to eventually step up.

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
I forget if the evidence actually bores this out, but didn't Burke have a reputation for trading 2nd round picks? I always interpreted that he realized their relatively low value compared to perception (which is still evident from some of the posts in this thread).

The man could trade. Free agents, drafting (well apparently he left it to the scouts after the 1st round), not so much.
playing hockey in Germany for a living would still be pretty sweet. Wondering how much he's getting paid.
You wonder what they do with the rest of their life once they're done around 35ish (like any minor pro I suppose), but certainly an interesting life experience playing in Europe. I'm hardly a good hockey player, but was lucky enough to experience a couple Euro hockey tours with grad school. Its been interesting to get a perspective on places where hockey's a niche sport.

I've read estimates of DEL imports getting about $150k-$250k. Usually are import limits though so you certainly can't be slacking. I guess Ross can avoid that as a duel citizen, and then perhaps make $80k or so? May be way off.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This is we fired the scouts. Shocking Bergman stayed along? I think not.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I was screaming for Toffoli - it was so obvious. :facepalm: Again, we went for "tenacity" over skill.

Even though I'm softer on Burke than others, this was a poor decision, and its turning out that "Truculence" really is the joke, that everyone said it was.

Despite the success in Calgary, its still exists there: Englland, McGratton

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Weak draft year, or is that average for the 2nd round on?

8.3% is getting into lightning strike territory.

Ross is also only 23, a lot of players mature at later dates. Some goalies might become quality starters or backups. Some defensemen might because quality bottom pairings. Who knows.

Not every player comes into the NHL at 23 or younger (not saying Ross will ever get there!)

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Weak draft year, or is that average for the 2nd round on?

8.3% is getting into lightning strike territory.

That's just the number of people after Ross who have played more or will play more than 100 games. I say will because the other poster threw out some names people people who haven't but thinks will and I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad