Confirmed with Link: Brad Richardson returns (2yrs. $1.25M AAV)

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
I agree but younger players take more patience and more exposure. You can't give Strome 4th line duties with two plugs and expect him to develop into a scorer. He needs to be put in position to succeed. That means offensive starts and PP minutes with forwards that can score. If you're not going to give him those opportunities, why is he even on the roster? He wasn't put in a position to succeed his first time up last year. Let's hope they learned what he can do by at least giving him one offensive wing to play with at the end of the year. Stepan, Dvo, Richardson and Kruger down the middle is not a lineup that will scare anyone.
This goes to the point that Strome is not in the system to beat out Richardson or Kruger. What he needs to realistically do is push Galchenyuk to the wing and lead one of the top two lines.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
I don't hate it. He's a plug that will fill one hole or another that develops over the season. Players are going to get injured and suspended and the flu and disappear for a week when their aunt Tilly dies or their wife has a kid. It's not like you write in 12 players and set it on autopilot for 6 months.

And what is wrong with pointing to Richardson and telling the other players "You need to be this good to get ice time." That isn't an unreasonably high bar to clear.

Reactions: Mosby

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
A two -year deal for more than league-minimum and NMC for an "insurance plan" fourth line center who will be "knocked out of the lineup " or "find himself in the AHL" is very normal. I completely overreacted. My fear the coaching staff will use him as a crutch is completely unfounded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grimes

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
The NMC is pretty rough. I assumed the idea was more competition for the 4th line, and we can bury him in Tucson if need be. I still don't totally hate this move because more depth, especially at C, is useful. But it seems like a questionable way to use our limited funds. Why not just use Dauphin for the same porpoise (purpose)?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
A two -year deal for more than league-minimum and NMC for an "insurance plan" fourth line center who will be "knocked out of the lineup " or "find himself in the AHL" is very normal. I completely overreacted. My fear the coaching staff will use him as a crutch is completely unfounded.
You do know we were competing with teams offering a one year deal right?? #sarcasmoff

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You mean there are smarter teams out there not offering term and NMC's?! Shocking.

Reactions: CC96

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You mean there are smarter teams out there not offering term and NMC's?! Shocking.
To be honest it seems every team and GM has a couple of these that leave one shaking their head.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The NMC is pretty rough. I assumed the idea was more competition for the 4th line, and we can bury him in Tucson if need be. I still don't totally hate this move because more depth, especially at C, is useful. But it seems like a questionable way to use our limited funds. Why not just use Dauphin for the same porpoise (purpose)?
10/10 :clap:

Reactions: CC96

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't hate it. He's a plug that will fill one hole or another that develops over the season. Players are going to get injured and suspended and the flu and disappear for a week when their aunt Tilly dies or their wife has a kid. It's not like you write in 12 players and set it on autopilot for 6 months.

And what is wrong with pointing to Richardson and telling the other players "You need to be this good to get ice time." That isn't an unreasonably high bar to clear.
If I had confidence that management and coaching see it like you see it, I’d be happy enough. The contract indicates that they might see him as more than that. Same goes for Kruger.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
I do like that free agency smacked him around a bit. These players sometimes - they play poor hockey on a crappy team and think the market is going to forgive them for being on a crappy team, and reward them with a big payday. The guy was coming off his worst career numbers and thought there was going to be some demand? Stay humble. Only the desperate teams like ours are going to take that dive.

For the Coyotes - better the devil you know than the devil you don't. I don't see the context here that points to the Coyotes leaning on him too much. The deal is a big nothing-burger from a team that will struggle to pay the league minimum for the next two years, and with potential upside that he bounces back from a career worst performance to be competent.

Two year or one year, not a huge difference in my mind. Either way he is playing for his next contract come October '18.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I do like that free agency smacked him around a bit. These players sometimes - they play poor hockey on a crappy team and think the market is going to forgive them for being on a crappy team, and reward them with a big payday. The guy was coming off his worst career numbers and thought there was going to be some demand? Stay humble. Only the desperate teams like ours are going to take that dive.

Seems like he was waiting around for a 2 year from AZ and got it, plus some kiss ass stuff like a NMC.

My problem with Richardson isn't the person. He's terrific and an important part of the room. But as a player, he looked done. That injury was rough.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
From Morgan's tweet it sounds like he was shopping for 2 years from anyone, not waiting for AZ. But who knows the reality. After the deal is signed, they all say they wanted to be here all along.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
From Morgan's tweet it sounds like he was shopping for 2 years from anyone, not waiting for AZ. But who knows the reality. After the deal is signed, they all say they wanted to be here all along.

Sounded like he wanted to sign somewhere where his kid and his family could have some stability. The one-year deals weren't going to cut it, particularly if he got traded at the deadline. I think whatever we think of his skill/ability, he got a deal that will cement his loyalty not just to the Coyotes but to Arizona, which is something we need in the room.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It's a depth signing. We got caught with our pants down last season at center when Strome, etc. weren't ready. That's why Domi and Nook ended up playing center at times. What if Galchenyuk can't hack it, Strome isn't ready, and Kruger sucks? Let's not repeat last year.

My issue with this deal is Richardson was given a NMC this year and an 8-team NTC next year. The ****?
Agreed, we need C's. The NMC and NTC was part of him signing for less than market value versus taking a 1 year deal and moving. If there was a chance they could trade him this year, he would have taken the 1 year elsewhere for more money, the NMC solves that. In year 2, Richie has been a solid vet in the NHL, good guy in the room, limited NTC, he deserves that. Tocchaka like him as a player, he can fill many rolls. It's 1.25 mill per year, seriously who cares? I don't get the hate on this deal or player:(

And, Strome will sink or swim on his own, has zero to do with Richardson or Kruger.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Can't imagine Kruger is here for more than this season. This deal locks in Richardson as our 4C for 2019-20.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Dauphin will have a chance to make the team. I would love for him to beat out Kruger and/or Richardson, but he is coming off an injury so I'm not sure what his status is.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Seems like he was waiting around for a 2 year from AZ and got it, plus some kiss ass stuff like a NMC.

My problem with Richardson isn't the person. He's terrific and an important part of the room. But as a player, he looked done. That injury was rough.
He got better as the season went on, like most of the vets.

rt

May 13, 2004
Crouse had 40pts in 65gp in the AHL between the regular season and the post season. He got better and better, but maybe another year in the AHL to really try to discover a scoring touch might not be the worst?

Galchenyuk-Stepan-Keller
Panik-Dvorak-Grabner
Perlini-Strome-Fischer
Kruger-Richardson-Cousins
Ullstrom/Archibald

:dunno:

It’s all kind of a mess.

Reactions: Lilhoody

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Crouse had 40pts in 65gp in the AHL between the regular season and the post season. He got better and better, but maybe another year in the AHL to really try to discover a scoring touch might not be the worst?

Crouse stepped up quite a bit in Tucson from what I remember while Strome was called up (and half their D...) and Merkley got hurt.
I think he ends up starting in Tucson just because of the sort of fringe nhl player log jam we have going on. It wouldn't be the worst thing for him but I'm not sure it will result in much upside anyway. He's close to sink or swim territory IMO.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Galchenyuk-Stepan-Keller
Panik-Dvorak-Grabner
Perlini-Strome-Fischer
Archibald

Ullstrom will be the 1C in Tucson with Kempe. Dauphin the 2C if he survives waivers.

I would have preferred Bunting - Cousins - Archibald as a 4th line. Think of how annoying and sticky they'd be. But alas, they just had to go out and sign Richardson, and there's probably no way they waive Kruger.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I imagine Dauphin is an early cut at camp because 1) he'll likely still be injured and 2) we can sneak him through waivers when everyone else has too many other guys to consider at their camps.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Galchenyuk-Stepan-Keller
Panik-Dvorak-Grabner
Perlini-Strome-Fischer
Ullstrom/Archibald

:dunno:

It’s all kind of a mess.
That's what training camp is for.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
When is the Seattle-expantion coming in now, in june 2020? Then he will still have an NTC at that point. Isn't it so, anyone with an NMC or even an NTC will be required to be protected? If it is so, then the NTC of next season is a problem here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad