Confirmed with Link: Brad Richardson returns (2yrs. $1.25M AAV)

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I wish "optionality" was Tocchet's buzzword, not Chayka's.

Also wish "optionality" was a word.

OK with the signing. Richardson is a good player and position be damned we need good players.
The next available "sticky" player that offers "optionality" will be a Coyote.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Rinaldo is gone. If we're prepared to bury Archibald and Ullstrom in Tucson, then this is fine. It's good for the Roadrunners, and okay for us. Paying Archibald $700,000 to play in the AHL and Ullstrom $200,000 to play in the AHL and paying Richardson $1.25m for 12/13th forward and paying Kruger $2.3m for the same role seems nuts. That's 4.65m for those four guys, two in the AHL and two barely hanging onto roster spots.

Reactions: Etch and _Del_

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
This is utterly ludicrous when you already have a 4th line center with a 3 mil Cap hit.

In terms of insurance, we already have so many 13th forwards. This money should have gone towards a scoring winger to ensure our other 13th forwards stay that way and don't get bumped up just so Richardson can take that spot, just because "he likes it here."

2 years is even worse, absolutely no reason to offer that.

Really disappointed with this. Screams Dave Moss. Thought we were past this.

Reactions: Yandover

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Kruger is only making $2m in actual salary and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets shuffled off to the Blackhawks 50% retained for something - possibly Hossa's contract, if he doesn't impress in camp.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
A lot of people seem to be writing off Kruger here and I’m not sure why. If this this guy is healthy and back to his old self, he is literally one of the best pure defensive centers and Pkers in the league...he will play and he will play a lot. Definitely a lot more than Richie will all things being equal. Richie is depth and insurance so I’m not that bent out of shape about it...he’ll have his fair share of healthy scratches I’m sure.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
A lot of people seem to be writing off Kruger here and I’m not sure why. If this this guy is healthy and back to his old self, he is literally one of the best pure defensive centers and Pkers in the league...he will play and he will play a lot. Definitely a lot more than Richie will all things being equal. Richie is depth and insurance so I’m not that bent out of shape about it...he’ll have his fair share of healthy scratches I’m sure.

I agree with this, I just don't see the point in paying someone over a million bucks to sit in the pressbox when we've already got another couple bodies there to keep him company. We can't have that many contract spots left can we?

Heaven forbid we call up Crouse or Merkley or one of our own prospects to play a few minutes if we run into injury trouble. Can't have that apparently.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I agree with this, I just don't see the point in paying someone over a million bucks to sit in the pressbox when we've already got another couple bodies there to keep him company. We can't have that many contract spots left can we?

Heaven forbid we call up Crouse or Merkley or one of our own prospects to play a few minutes if we run into injury trouble. Can't have that apparently.

Yeah that’s where it is a bit of a head scratcher I think. Everyone was expecting Crouse to make the jump but maybe that was premature. Or maybe they’re thinking that there will be some back and forth to Tucson possibly. But this will allow Crouse/Merkley/Cousins/Richie/Archie to kind of rotate when needed. Injuries always happen and sometimes guys need a maintenance day here and there. I don’t like spending the money when we still need top 6 help, but I understand the reasoning behind it. Maybe Chayka still has one more ace up his sleeve this offseason, or will get something building for the trade deadline...who knows.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
WTF, fellas? Richie is a good player. If he's recovered from his injury he is an asset, particularly because the rest of our forwards couldn't win a face off against a frigging mirror. Seriously, we needed someone who could win an important face off in the defensive zone.

It was never a choice of Richie or a top 6 forward. The best FA that we could get was Grabner. We almost had JVR.

We can trade away Archibald for some lower round draft picks and stock up our AHL and ECHL teams or use them as throw in players in a major trade down the line.

Reactions: kbay

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Richie and Kruger are also both not slow players...when healthy. If they don’t have any lingering health issues they can both play with pace and both be over 50% in the circle. They aren’t “fast” in today’s NHL but I wouldn’t say they’re slow either...they can both skate. Now we have three guys between those two and Stepan that are basically locks to be over 50% on draws, and Dvo isn’t a slouch either. Gives us different options on the wing with Chucky in different situations. If I were Toc I would almost always be having someone else take draws for Chucky in the D zone, or on key O zone possessions if we’re down a goal, and then switch positions back after the play settles.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
This is a cheap 2 year contract and Richardson is solid on the dot/PK/ and can play wing. Whats not to like? Strome will have to earn a spot and Galchenyuk is really a winger, both might not work out at C. Don't forget injuries too, is Kruger healthy, maybe, maybe not? This is smart and Tocchayka know exactly what they are getting on the ice and in the room.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Likely Biz had some input in Richardson's resigning; he played a key role in the Bachelor segments. Where would the team's social media be this upcoming season, after losing Martinook an potentially Richie?

Reactions: rt and kbay

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is a cheap 2 year contract and Richardson is solid on the dot/PK/ and can play wing. Whats not to like? Strome will have to earn a spot and Galchenyuk is really a winger, both might not work out at C. Don't forget injuries too, is Kruger healthy, maybe, maybe not? This is smart and Tocchayka know exactly what they are getting on the ice and in the room.
Exactly. I think Chayka thought Richardson was gonzo and signed Kruger. This contract is so cheap it's almost embarrassing.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's a depth signing. We got caught with our pants down last season at center when Strome, etc. weren't ready. That's why Domi and Nook ended up playing center at times. What if Galchenyuk can't hack it, Strome isn't ready, and Kruger sucks? Let's not repeat last year.

My issue with this deal is Richardson was given a NMC this year and an 8-team NTC next year. The f***?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah that’s where it is a bit of a head scratcher I think. Everyone was expecting Crouse to make the jump but maybe that was premature. Or maybe they’re thinking that there will be some back and forth to Tucson possibly. But this will allow Crouse/Merkley/Cousins/Richie/Archie to kind of rotate when needed. Injuries always happen and sometimes guys need a maintenance day here and there. I don’t like spending the money when we still need top 6 help, but I understand the reasoning behind it. Maybe Chayka still has one more ace up his sleeve this offseason, or will get something building for the trade deadline...who knows.
We need muscle. We lost Schenn and Rinaldo. I hope the hell Crouse comes to camp and blows away the coaches, we need him.

Reactions: johnchayka89

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's a depth signing. We got caught with our pants down last season at center when Strome, etc. weren't ready. That's why Domi and Nook ended up playing center at times. What if Galchenyuk can't hack it, Strome isn't ready, and Kruger sucks? Let's not repeat last year.

My issue with this deal is Richardson was given a NMC this year and an 8-team NTC next year. The ****?
Who cares. He's cheap. Like you said, he is a depth signing.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Who cares. He's cheap. Like you said, he is a depth signing.

Hopefully Tocc turns out to be different but every time we have brought on vets like this in the past they get the bulk of the minutes. It even happened last year after Tocc started to panic. We can't have over half the forward spots filled with guys that can't score. We're never going to be competitive that way. I don't want goal to be mediocre enough to get blown out in the first round. I'd rather start tanking for Hughes now.

Reactions: _Del_

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hopefully Tocc turns out to be different but every time we have brought on vets like this in the past they get the bulk of the minutes. It even happened last year after Tocc started to panic. We can't have over half the forward spots filled with guys that can't score. We're never going to be competitive that way. I don't want goal to be mediocre enough to get blown out in the first round. I'd rather start tanking for Hughes now.
I agree, but I like competition for spots. Let the cream rise to the top. IF Strome can't beat out the likes of Kruger, Richardson etc. that's on him. As long as he gets a fair chance, that is all I ask.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I agree, but I like competition for spots. Let the cream rise to the top. IF Strome can't beat out the likes of Kruger, Richardson etc. that's on him. As long as he gets a fair chance, that is all I ask.

I agree but younger players take more patience and more exposure. You can't give Strome 4th line duties with two plugs and expect him to develop into a scorer. He needs to be put in position to succeed. That means offensive starts and PP minutes with forwards that can score. If you're not going to give him those opportunities, why is he even on the roster? He wasn't put in a position to succeed his first time up last year. Let's hope they learned what he can do by at least giving him one offensive wing to play with at the end of the year. Stepan, Dvo, Richardson and Kruger down the middle is not a lineup that will scare anyone.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It gets better. Richardson has a full NMC for this year (no waivers, folks!) and an 8-team-exempt NTC for next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad